Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have an important announcement to share with our subscribers who are currently enrolled in our old Rewards program.

We’re making changes to our rewards program and are sharing how these changes impact some of our subscribers. Starting in May, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program. 

We launched the Public Points™ program in January 2022 to provide our subscribers with more ways to earn and spend rewards, with greater flexibility. As part of our commitment to continuously evolve our products and services, it's time to retire our old Rewards program and shift our focus on enhancing our Points program.

To show our appreciation for your continued loyalty, subscribers on our old Rewards program will receive a special thank you. We'll send you a text message when it has been added to your account by March 31st. 

We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward.

To learn more about your move to Public Points, check out our FAQ here.

The Public Mobile Team

5,160 REPLIES 5,160

Lucster
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Your 

@Bunnyhop wrote:

That's the last straw I'm switching to freedom mobile now.

I'm really getting close to switching... but I decided to submit m first CCTS complaint to see what they'll do before switching my 6 lines.  If I switch all 6 lines, there is no way I'm coming back.  If I receive an offer to come back, I'll send my response to the highest level of management I can find (https://rocketreach.co/public-mobile-management_b5c2fdf8f42e0f00) and/or to all 83 employees that have a linkedin account.

Do the right thing PM and do not go agains't your word.PM promise 2024-04-10 at 8.37.17 PM.png

RetiredGuy1
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Everything you say is absolutely true. I was talking specifically about those who have already left (in order to receive a win back offer). I used $7 loosely for illustration purposes. You are correct its $5.42 in that scenario. So, a $15 win back, in that scenario, represents more than 2 months but less than 3 months of lost rewards.

marcnoel
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

It's not $ 7.00 loss per month.  It's a maximum of $ 5.42, if you have been a subscriber for more than five years, and are on a $ 15.00 plan.  Loyalty is switching from a maximum of $ 60.00 a year to $ 10.00, so that's a $ 50.00 loss per year, which is $ 4.17 a month, less if you've been with PM a shorter time.  AutoPay is switching from $ 2.00 a month to 5% of the bill, which is as low as 75¢ ($ 15.00 plan), so that's a maximum of $ 1.25 loss per month.  $ 4.17 + $ 1.25 is $ 5.42 maximum loss per month.  If you've been with PM less than five years, and have a higher-priced plan, the loss is even less.

Remember that, if you leave PM, you can't take any referrals, the 5% back, or the $ 10.00/year with you to a new carrier.  You will have to start at the bottom again.

In my own case, assuming all eight of my referrals stay, I will get an average discount of $ 10.53 per month on a $ 34.00 plan, equalling $ 23.47 per month.  I have not seen any other carrier that is giving 50 GB a month for that price.  Yes, I know some have rewards and/or referrals, but the rewards take time, and referrals are not guaranteed.  Once again, we can get 50 GB for $ 34.00 now, vs. 4 GB for $ 40.00 in 2018.  Offering went up, and price went down.  My loss will be $ 4.47 a month, but it's still a better deal than leaving, then having to wait for rewards to kick in, or hope that I can get referrals.  I may not be inclined to refer to PM now, because of this switch, but, until a good-enough deal comes along, I think I'm staying put.

Bunnyhop
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

That's the last straw I'm switching to freedom mobile now.

RetiredGuy1

Agreed. Putting aside the win back offer, I think pushing out the low-cost PM subscribers in particular is intentional on Telus’ part as a means to increase the ARPU metric for their annual reports presented to shareholders.

@RetiredGuy1 wrote:

Maybe because its a one-time offer only of $15 whereas other carriers offer greater value via reduced monthly payment on certain plans on an ongoing basis?

Also, for context, lets say a significant number of those who have left did so because they lost $7 a month in legacy rewards ($5 loyalty and $2 auto-pay). If so, is the lure of $15 (which equates to roughly only 2 months of lost legacy rewards) enough to win them back on an going basis? I think not.

@RetiredGuy1 I'm not suggesting that it is a good offer, I'm suggesting that all companies send out win back offers so I don't think this one is a result of Telus execs shaking in their offices.

RetiredGuy1

Maybe because its a one-time offer only of $15 whereas other carriers offer greater value via reduced monthly payment on certain plans on an ongoing basis?

Also, for context, lets say a significant number of those who have left did so because they lost $7 a month in legacy rewards ($5 loyalty and $2 auto-pay). If so, is the lure of $15 (which equates to roughly only 2 months of lost legacy rewards) enough to win them back on an ongoing basis? I think not.

@jimbobs2023 wrote:

@kb_mv wrote:

@G_Pomzz  Every company offers win back stuff when someone leaves so I'm having a hard time understanding why this is so different and noteworthy from other companies?

Maybe because it's such a lousy offer in the current context?

@jimbobs2023 Perhaps it's a lousy attempt at winning back customers but I don't think any win back offer short of suspending the upcoming changes will satisfy some people. All the companies send out win back offers. I'm just not seeing the higher ups in Telus shaking in their boardrooms over this thread which has about 1000 unique users. They have probably figured they have enough new sign ups on the new program to weather whatever storm brews here. Hopefully I'm wrong and they come to their senses but I won't hold my breath. Despite the changes there is still not another provider serving the Maritimes that can meet or beat my $34/50GB Can-US plan.

jimbobs2023

@kb_mv wrote:

@G_Pomzz wrote:

Screenshot_2024-04-24-14-53-52-892_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg

 The powers that be have obviously noticed a lot of lost business over the Rewards debacle or they wouldn't be offering a carrot already. 

@G_Pomzz  Every company offers win back stuff when someone leaves so I'm having a hard time understanding why this is so different and noteworthy from other companies?

Maybe because it's such a lousy offer in the current context?

@RetiredGuy1 wrote:

Its reasonable to assume the majority of subscribers will continue to choose to reduce their bill with points rather than buy discounted add-ons or gamble with them. PM could create a toggle in the self-serve portal to allow subscribers to turn on the bill-reduction redemption option as a default. Once a balance of 15 points is achieved, the system would then apply them automatically. If the toggle is not turned on, then the points remain on account until a subscriber manually does something with them (as it is now).

Notwithstanding that, I agree the 15-point minimum balance stipulation is, as they say, “bogus, man”. The points are “earned” by the subscriber so they should be “redeemed” by the subscriber in any denomination as they see fit. In that sense, the PARROT* could be programmed to apply the maximum amount available up to and including 15 points that is in a subscribers account upon plan renewal.

* Public’s Automatic Reward Redemption OToggle (a RetiredGuy1 concept with trademark waived due to Community Forum T&C) 😄

I think that this would be a great feature.  I just don't think PM could handle the implimentation of such a feature with their past track record on  with IT issues

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@G_Pomzz wrote:

 The powers that be have obviously noticed a lot of lost business over the Rewards debacle or they wouldn't be offering a carrot already. 

G_Pomzz

RetiredGuy1

Thanks @HALIMACS  Actually, I edited the post to incorporate the idea of <15 points redemption

I like the toggle switch idea, @RetiredGuy1 !!

And sure, I also suspect the vast majority would  rather have an automatic reduction in their bill vs having to think about it or using points for other things.

However based on the numbers of people lined up at fuel station cash register counters buying lotto items … I gotta wonder 🤔

eyes

@RetiredGuy1 wrote:

Its reasonable to assume the majority of subscribers will continue to choose to reduce their bill with points rather than buy discounted add-ons or gamble with them. PM could create a toggle in the self-serve portal to allow subscribers to turn on the bill-reduction redemption option as a default. Once a balance of 15 points is achieved, the system would then apply them automatically. If the toggle is not turned on, then the points remain on account until a subscriber manually does something with them (as it is now).

Notwithstanding that, I agree the 15-point minimum balance stipulation is, as they say, “bogus, man”. The points are “earned” by the subscriber so they should be “redeemed” by the subscriber in any denomination as they see fit. 

Yes what you suggest would be nice but converting 1 point at a time or 15 at a time yields the same dollar results -- I would like to see some sort of additional reward for auto pay.

RetiredGuy1

Notwithstanding that, I agree the 15-point minimum balance stipulation is, as they say, “bogus, man”. The points are “earned” by the subscriber so they should be “redeemed” by the subscriber in any denomination as they see fit. In that sense, the PARROT* could be programmed to apply the maximum amount available up to and including 15 points that is in a subscribers account upon plan renewal.

* Public’s Automatic Reward Redemption OToggle (a RetiredGuy1 concept with trademark waived due to Community Forum T&C) 😄

@eyes wrote:

Somewhere I read - but who knows if it’s reliable— that if one switches to the points they will get the 5 point ($5) thank you. But  if PM switches account in may they will not be eligible for this $5 (5 point) gift. So since the switch is inevitable I didn’t want to take the gamble so I switched voluntarily. 

HI @eyes 

as far as I know, that is untrue.  The point system will give you 5 points for introductory.  But you will need to login to the point portal once to get the 5 points.  Some people joined, never login the point portal and that is why the 5 points not added yet

Remember @eyes , you can only convert once a minimum 15 points balance is achieved.

… a dumb policy they need to change, and while I do not agree it should be automatic, (as there may be some who want to gamble points for draws) they should be able to convert as little as one point to a dollar.

eyes

Somewhere I read - but who knows if it’s reliable— that if one switches to the points they will get the 5 point ($5) thank you. But  if PM switches account in may they will not be eligible for this $5 (5 point) gift. So since the switch is inevitable I didn’t want to take the gamble so I switched voluntarily. 

G_Pomzz

It appears there might be thousands of subscribers leaving PM due to the rewards debacle. Is there a chance that those of us who remain loyal might be thrown a little thank you gift? And I don't mean the expiring data bonus, which we have all made clear, is pretty much useless.

I'm talking a monetary gift like a loyalty reward for not jumping ship. PM was a cool and somewhat exclusive club to belong to before the Telus bean counters stepped in and ruined all the fun! 

eyes

I think that I explained this before but it’s obviously buried somewhere in the thread . And since you’re interested and find it hard to believe me , just for your curiosity, I will explain again. 
Months ago I got a good deal from Bell and activated a new number with them. I had time to update all my financial and selected friends to the new number . I didn’t port my PM number because it was getting and continues to get major spam. Had changed my pm  to $15 less rewards that resulted in insignificant cost each month and just using the PM for web purchases etc. 

PS Noticed that your community account is less then one month or so. I find it hard to believe that you are not Wolfcore - are you?

SeniorCitizen

@eyes wrote:

Plan to cash my points for dollars and renew only until my cash balance is depleted and then let my plan die after the 90 day period.

I find that hard to believe that you would do that and lose your phone number. 

eyes

I switched over to the point system 2 days ago and it seems that all my reward dollars are gone and now I have a point balance of 0. Somewhere In read that after you switch it may take 4 days for the switch to be completed. Does this make sense?

UPDATE - Just checked my account again and it’s now switched to the point system. They gave me the 5 point welcome and also the gift data is still there. However in total I received less points than expected. Oh well since there is no benefit anymore for auto renewal I have disabled it. Plan to cash my points for dollars and renew only until my cash balance is depleted and then let my plan die after the 90 day period.

jhhead

WOW that was fast... within 30 minutes I got the good news:

"The CCTS is accepting your complaint about Public Mobile. "

jhhead

And for fun the CCTS complaint had an option for compensation with a maximum amount of $5000 so I put $5000 lol.

In reality over time if they remove these benefits I could be out that much 😉

jhhead

Wow this is brutal. Sent a message to PM and got a generic response that didn't acknowledge any of my concerns and just said they are switching etc. They ended the message with

"We could also help you by providing you a different plan for a lower price if you'd like. "

I then say sure because I'm already on the $15 plan and would love a lower price... 

Yeah then come back with a horrible reply:

"Yes, upon checking your account I can see you are already on the cheapest plan.

However with Public Points you could get this plan for free each month, since you can exchange 15 points for 15 dollars worth of bill credit. "

I then ask AGAIN to please read my messages to which they responded:

"We are aware of your initial message.

Rewards had to be eventually changed since Public Mobile had to continue evolving. After May 1st, rewards will no longer be available, only the new Public Points system. 

At the beginning, you woudl receive one dollar for each year you were with Public Mobile, now you will receive 10 points for each year you remain with Public Mobile. 

The reason why this change was made, was to have all customers under the same reward program, this will make it easier to launch in the market, new ways to earn points, new bill credit rewards, and make it easier and faster or customers to reach 15 points each month, meaning to have a 15 dollar bill credit each month.

You could have your current plan for free each month just by earning 15 points. You can earn them easily by referring friends, which would provide you a recurring credit for each referral every month."

Clearly they are just scripting crap now... 

CCTS complaint now officially submitted!!!

Y4J259

@ansontg  You can file a complaint with CCTS. When PM give you a gift, then remove it if you change plans, its extortion. CCTS are accepting these complaints.

Y4J259

@Cheefster CCTS objected to PM's objection. Now I'm waiting for CCTS to mediate (whatever that's going to look like)

hi @dariovitale yes, life is a lot different these days.  As long as you have a solid internet, we can do everything with it.. TV, Phone, Security..

dariovitale

Yup and since I live in southern Quebec where there is no Telus tv I used to be with Bell Satellite. My channels were accessible on the fibe tv app therefore the rest of the family watched through the fibe tv app at their addresses and split the bill until we totally cut the tv cord and went using "other" services and "other" streaming android apps. 

Need Help? Let's chat.