Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have an important announcement to share with our subscribers who are currently enrolled in our old Rewards program.

We’re making changes to our rewards program and are sharing how these changes impact some of our subscribers. Starting in May, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program. 

We launched the Public Points™ program in January 2022 to provide our subscribers with more ways to earn and spend rewards, with greater flexibility. As part of our commitment to continuously evolve our products and services, it's time to retire our old Rewards program and shift our focus on enhancing our Points program.

To show our appreciation for your continued loyalty, subscribers on our old Rewards program will receive a special thank you. We'll send you a text message when it has been added to your account by March 31st. 

We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward.

To learn more about your move to Public Points, check out our FAQ here.

The Public Mobile Team

5,227 REPLIES 5,227

Wolfcore
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Yeah, but it still lags in comparison to their competitors:

Freedom = $29/20GB + US Talk/Data/Text
Lucky = $29/35GB (dropped to 25Gb after 2 years)
Fizz = $29/40GB (or 20GB with US included)
PC Mobile = $29/20GB (25GB with autopay)
Chatr = $29/30GB (+500mb with autopay)
No Name Mobile = $29/25GB (30GB with autopay)

According to my calculations, PM is still dead last, in terms of these budget brands at least:

Public Mobile = $29/20GB

thanks @kb_mv yes, great plan for $29, nice to see it back, and it is for everyone

SeniorCitizen
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Wolfcore wrote:

You should look into Freedom's yearly plans. They have 3 of them, and they sound like they'd probably meet your needs:

1. $8.25/month - Unlimited talk/incoming text —- 99 year
2. $9.90/month - Unlimited talk/text + 1.25GB/month ——-119 year
3. $12.40/month - Unlimited talk/text + 2.50GB/Month —— 149 year

Right now if these plans remain when I jump ship I would take 1 of #1 and 2 of #3. Or I may consider keeping 1 of our 3 PM plans. So for $33 at Freedom I save $12 vs the PM plans. But there is a loss as mentioned below. 

I have huge reservations about Freedoms coverage. It’s not a highly rated carrier. 

Secondly I do like the PM add ons for LD and their coverage. 

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

I see the $29 plan is back up to 20GB, 4G.

El_Gato

@Wolfcore wrote:

You should look into Freedom's yearly plans. They have 3 of them, and they sound like they'd probably meet your needs:

1. $8.25/month - Unlimited talk/incoming text
2. $9.90/month - Unlimited talk/text + 1.25GB/month
3. $12.40/month - Unlimited talk/text + 2.50GB/Month

Sounds great ---- obviously you must have switched to one of these great value plans - Have you?

El_Gato

@Wolfcore wrote:

Imagine being so upset with the responses of another user, and having so much time on your hands, that you create a new account, just to impersonate them 😂

Imagine actually wasting your day doing this. Going through the process of creating a new email, turning on your vpn so PM won't know who you really are and ban your real account, going through the signup process, verifying, then taking the time to come up with what you believe to be witty humour, then posting it. Then turning off your vpn and logging into your real account, and spending time trying to interact with what you just posted on the other account. 

Imagine how much a person must be living rent-free in your head, for you to actually do this. We're dealing with a grown adult here, folks. I would call them childlike, but even children aren't as sensitive as this 🤣

I thought that this was a help forum? Oh wait I also thought that this thread was regarding to the switch to the point system?   Oh wait maybe for some strange reason I'm on the dark web - how else could all these accusations and bitterness be allowed on a mobile plan forum. 

Wolfcore

Imagine being so upset with the responses of another user, and having so much time on your hands, that you create a new account, just to impersonate them 😂

Imagine actually wasting your day doing this. Going through the process of creating a new email, turning on your vpn so PM won't know who you really are and ban your real account, going through the signup process, verifying, then taking the time to come up with what you believe to be witty humour, then posting it. Then turning off your vpn and logging into your real account, and spending time trying to interact with what you just posted on the other account. 

Imagine how much a person must be living rent-free in your head, for you to actually do this. We're dealing with a grown adult here, folks. I would call them childlike, but even children aren't as sensitive as this 🤣

eyes
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Well said - some members are all up at arms with the change to the point system and are threatening to switch to other providers.   Some that are on a basic $15 plan are more or less paying very little or nothing at all after their discounts. Since PM is not a charity organization— why should they care if non to little cost plan holders leave?

eyes

No no .. you misunderstood what I proposed. To make it more clear I said —- Don’t close your account just yet and lose all your discounts. Hang in there a couple of weeks until May, and wait until this thing plays out. I have down graded my plan to the minimum $15 plan.
PS I’m just trying to help - as I may have mentioned in previous posts — while communicating with CS agent I misunderstood something and because of my hasty ok’d them to switch me over to the point system. I asked to be switched back but no way but for some reason now I got lots of points and used 15 of them to get a free month. 

staticcory
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@Wolfcore 

I wouldn't say slap in the face.   This is just normal business.

I was with Koodo before and I changed to PM 7+ years ago and referred some friends here.     Service has been great and never had a price increase on any of my plans, nor have any of my referrals.   I can only say good things about Public Mobile so far. 

Some see this change is price increase.  But it is not.  I look at my plan, the price is same, I got the same plan,  $25 for 5GB, and nowhere it says the plan is increasing in price.    I asked my friends I referred, they all see the same price on their plans

Yes, right now I am only paying $10 for the plan with all the discounts and referrals, and after May i will be paying $17.  But I got a great plan.  And I am ok to pay a bit more as I know we should not be just selfish and only care our own bills.   I am a fair person.  We have our consumer rights, but I also respect business for their decision to make change.  No big deal.   If everyone just use "corporate greed" as an excuse to stay paying $0 for plan, how businesses can survive?

@bam00 

They will argue that notification was provided, and that this isn’t really a billing change because it relates to their reward program, which is not a regulated part of mobile provider service.

But they know full well it’s the equivalent of a billing increase for their most loyal and long-standing customers.

If you’re unhappy about the way this was handled, and wish to dispute the matter, contact them to express your displeasure, and when they reply that there’s nothing they will do to change it, consider contacting the CCTS and follow their processes for disputing matters relating to your mobile service provider.

To contact a Customer Support Agent, there are 2 methods:

1. Use the ticketing system for a faster response time. Click here and type Customer Support Agent, then select Contact Us, then select Other (or the topic that more closely matches your request).  Click the result which states Click here to submit a ticket and follow the prompts,  or, 
  2. Send a private message to the Customer Support Agent by clicking here  You’ll need to be logged into your Community account for the link to work.

Watch for their response in your Community private mailbox which will be indicated by a number on the small envelope icon to the left of your Community avatar.

bam00

I never got a notification about the rewards change through email or text, and only knew about this through a pop-up when I checked my account today, and reading through forums. Isn't Public Mobile supposed to notify me about changes to my billing? Or was I just supposed to find out when I check my bank statement since I have autopay? I was also under the impression that the old reward system was not going to change, how is this change allowed??

Not even close,  @WisdomCookie 

As a point in comparison, on the $15 plan, after 5 years on this service you would save $84 a year on Legacy Rewards with auto pay enabled.

With public points you save a grand total of 19 points or the equivalent of $19 annually.

So you've gone from saving $84 a year to $19 a year.

Can you guess whose pocket your lost savings are going into?

Telus executives and cronies. 

Doesn't that make you feel all warm and fuzzy?

@WisdomCookie wrote:

Are points equivalent to the old program?

@WisdomCookie 

Unfortunately, the programs are not equivalent.  

With the points program, you will not be receiving monthly $2 autopay or up to $5 loyalty rewards.  

Each month, you will receive points for your friend referrals and 5% back on points on your plan costs.  You will receive 10 loyalty points on your anniversary sign up date (instead of monthly loyalty rewards).  You will also need to cash 15 points to $15 bill credit.  

Here is some additional information:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/ab/get-help/articles/move-to-public-points

fixin1
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@WisdomCookie - Not really. For measure you will lose:

• $2 autopay
  • $2+ loyalty rewards

But they have an other thing for points:

• 5% back in Public Points every $1 you spend on your plan
  • 5 welcome one time points
  • 10 annual loyalty points

You will continue to have these to be transferred over:

• $1 per friend referred = 1 point per friend referred
  • $1, 2, 5, 10, 15 & 20 rewards = 1, 2 5, 10, 15 & 20 points.

WisdomCookie

Are points equivalent to the old program?

RetiredGuy1

Two companies approach to make a win-back offer:

Public Mobile: one-time 15 points ($15)

Freedom Mobile: $29 (after digital discount) 50 GB 5G unlimited Canada/US plan with guaranteed price freeze promise (this represents $5 off each month of a currently-featured plan)

jimbobs2023
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@RNk6xib2 wrote:

@Y4J259 wrote:

I filed a complaint with CCTS April 4. April 8 PM objected. April 16 CCTS objected to the objection. 

So now what? Do I wait for PM to reach out and resolve? Do I need to initiate? 

I've been told by email that someone from CCTS will reach out to me and start the process over 2 weeks ago. I'm still waiting. My understanding (and I'm not certain this is true) is that we need to keep our PM account open, paying the difference until PM + CCTS case is figured out. If we close our account now the contract we have with PM is closed and the case is resolve with CCTS.

I'm keeping my PM account at least one billing period of the new points so I at least have something the CCTS can help with. Again, I don't know if this is the right thing, I cant get a straight answer from anyone. I'd be more then happy to pay $6/30 days for SMS/MMS only which is basically what I'm doing now. Fizz is $9/month for the same. I have a simcard I just dont know what to do. Do I wait for CCTS or just jump ship and never pay telus again? ugh.

Keep annoying PM by constantly messaging them.  If they behave like they have been up to now, they'll offer you a $30 credit with no conditions attached.  I've been offered one and accepted it so will get almost 3 free months as a result. From other posts, I know others have been offered it as well.

RNk6xib2

If it was per month that'd be almost as good as my current PM plan and I'd switch today... However, it's $130/year, meaning it's going on a 20% interest credit card (costing more) and I'll pay it off as fast as I can. If I had more notice it wouldn't be so rough but I don't..... I can save, that's not a problem, it's just where does the money come from. Rent, Bus, Hydro, Internet, Cell, Grocery. Take your pick. I've gotten rid of basically everything and I find free activities to keep me sane. PM can feel free to confirm this but my phone is a Nexus 5 that I've had since 2017.

I've been applying to jobs, I've had interviews but come offer time It's not more then I'm making now so it's not worth it. I like my job and the people I work with are awesome. I just don't make enough and I'm really trying to avoid taking a weekend job.

Wolfcore

Oh yeah, for sure. I chose to only add things related to this legacy-removal decision. If not, there would be a bunch more things I could have added. They've just done so many things to screw over customers recently.

EdN

Wolfcore, that is a very good summary of all the ways Public Mobile has disappointed/shafted the loyal customers in the past 6 months or so.

I would also like to add they implemented a 30 day expiry for the data add-ons (formerly no expiry until all used up)

I think they also eliminated the 2023 holiday bonus (or put an expiry on it)

Wolfcore

1. $8.25/month - Unlimited talk/incoming text
2. $9.90/month - Unlimited talk/text + 1.25GB/month
3. $12.40/month - Unlimited talk/text + 2.50GB/Month

Wolfcore

Yup, they've decided to essentially slap their customers in their faces:

1. First they removed the 1-point/month for every month you've been with PM, reward (just before making this announcement).
2. Then they made the announcement, thus breaking their word about how people can keep these rewards for as long as their accounts remained active.
3. Then they said that this was being done to bring customers more value (an outright lie).
4. Then they offered people free data buckets as compensation for their loyalty, even though they know people don't need these data buckets, as 99% of people have plans that meet their needs already. On top of this, they attach an expiry date for this data.
5. Then, when people went to complain, they selectively compromised with only certain customers, by giving them free months of service, free data, as well as some free points, but chose to give others nothing.
6. Then when others went to complain, they were asked if they'd like to be removed from rewards program altogether, thus attempting to reward people even less (shameless).
7. Then, in the end, once customers decided to finally leave, they sent them winback messages, offering them a one-time 15-point ($15) reward lol

It's just sad at this point. 

RNk6xib2

@eyes wrote:

Since the cost to hang on is so minimal after applying rewards —hang in there and see what happens. 

For you, the cost may be "minimal". For me and others like me, the additional cost is not "minimal" and it's a bit frustrating that you'd assume it is.

I work full time but I NEED a strict budget due to the cost of everything. The reason I'm with PM is for the cheap plan. If I'm spending $10 more every 30 days then that $10 is coming from something else, likely my grocery budget. I already live paycheque to paycheque, I'm not able to save any money. Credit Card debit is looking like my only option if things continue to get more expensive.

Cant get a 2nd job without a phone number, Can't login to FORCED 2fa sms sites like my bank without a phone number. This is the Position PM is putting me in and they know it, no one can get by without a phone number and they're hitting the guys on the cheapest plan the hardest.

$15 every 30 days is more expensive then $15 every month. Meaning any other provider that does monthly billing with the "same" plan is cheaper and where I'll have to go.

RetiredGuy1

@RNk6xib2  Here is a link that provides an overview of the CCTS complaint process:

https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/for-consumers/complaints/complaints-process-explained/

Step 2: Initial Referral includes:

Note: If any part of your complaint is about unpaid charges, your service provider must stop trying to collect these charges until your complaint is closed. You must pay charges that are not related to your complaint.

eyes

Since the cost to hang on is so minimal after applying rewards —hang in there and see what happens. 

RNk6xib2

@Y4J259 wrote:

I filed a complaint with CCTS April 4. April 8 PM objected. April 16 CCTS objected to the objection. 

So now what? Do I wait for PM to reach out and resolve? Do I need to initiate? 

I've been told by email that someone from CCTS will reach out to me and start the process over 2 weeks ago. I'm still waiting. My understanding (and I'm not certain this is true) is that we need to keep our PM account open, paying the difference until PM + CCTS case is figured out. If we close our account now the contract we have with PM is closed and the case is resolve with CCTS.

I'm keeping my PM account at least one billing period of the new points so I at least have something the CCTS can help with. Again, I don't know if this is the right thing, I cant get a straight answer from anyone. I'd be more then happy to pay $6/30 days for SMS/MMS only which is basically what I'm doing now. Fizz is $9/month for the same. I have a simcard I just dont know what to do. Do I wait for CCTS or just jump ship and never pay telus again? ugh.

eyes

Wise move not to engage and just let it go . Rest assured that there is absolutely no problem in members of your family having separate community accounts each tied in to active separate plans and sharing the same WIFI IP so as not to waste their data. There is no need and is not at all dumb to not mask your IP because they are doing nothing wrong. 

Need Help? Let's chat.