Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have an important announcement to share with our subscribers who are currently enrolled in our old Rewards program.

We’re making changes to our rewards program and are sharing how these changes impact some of our subscribers. Starting in May, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program. 

We launched the Public Points™ program in January 2022 to provide our subscribers with more ways to earn and spend rewards, with greater flexibility. As part of our commitment to continuously evolve our products and services, it's time to retire our old Rewards program and shift our focus on enhancing our Points program.

To show our appreciation for your continued loyalty, subscribers on our old Rewards program will receive a special thank you. We'll send you a text message when it has been added to your account by March 31st. 

We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward.

To learn more about your move to Public Points, check out our FAQ here.

The Public Mobile Team

5,124 REPLIES 5,124

marcnoel
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I am in Victoria, BC.  One of my clients, who lives in Duncan (north of Victoria), and is also with PM, investigated Fizz and Freedom.  No coverage north of Cobble Hill for Freedom (between Vic and Dun), and no Duncan coverage for Fizz, except on a partnered network.  If you use a partner too much, they suspend service.  Better check coverage before fleeing.

marcnoel

If you have been on Rewards for over two years, you should be getting $ 2.00 off per month for Loyalty - $ 24.00 a year, which will drop to $ 10.00 a year, with a loss of $ 14.00 a year. Also, 30¢ less per month with 5% back vs. AutoPay - $ 3.60 a year. Total loss is $ 17.60 a year - approximately $ 1.47 a month. Only you can decide if it is worth it to you to leave. Keep in mind that you will have to start at the bottom elsewhere, and you may not get referral discounts right away, assuming you get some.

@NoseyNick1 wrote:

> So long as you can get by on 250MB you're golden.

Right, except Lucky has 250MB of data AND THEN "You can also continue to use data at reduced speeds of up to 128 Kbps for email, light browsing and messaging at no additional charge once you have exceeded your allotted data"

I believe with the $15 plan, you will not get the 128 Kpbs unlimited throttled data.  

https://www.reddit.com/r/luckymobile/comments/rw8urz/does_unlimited_data_apply_to_the_15_plan/

Unless things have changed recently.  You may want to contact Lucky mobile just to make sure. 

You will need to be on the $25+ plan with Lucky mobile to get the unlimited throttled data.

eyes

Yes one can do wonderful things with numbers - however not everyone is on a $60 plan -So in my case -- I'm on the un-beatable $34 plan with 50 gb data and Canada - US . Have been with PM for 2 years or so and have no referrals and have never received a helping others rewards (maybe this month?).My math tells me that I will lose the $2 auto pay but that is offset a bit by the now  $1.70 interest on my payment. My math tells me that I will be paying  30 cents more /month. Am I wrong?

PS. I also have a Bell mobility open contract plan that is better than my PM plan because it is bundled with my family 3 other Bell lines and our Bell Five 1.5 internet plan. I was considering, on renewal to reduce my PM plan down to $15 and let it go to inactive for a couple of moths but I've been told that if I do this it will lose the 240 gb data bonus. In addition  the lower priced plan without the benefits of the old reward system giving $2 auto pay and one dollar/month  for each year reward may  not be worth keeping. 

@NoseyNick1 wrote:

Right, except Lucky has 250MB of data AND THEN "You can also continue to use data at reduced speeds of up to 128 Kbps for email, light browsing and messaging at no additional charge once you have exceeded your allotted data"

@NoseyNick1 Good luck with using "up to" 128kb. I used the 256kb up to 512kb here once and it was so maddenly slow as to make it useless for me.

Edit to correct PM throttled speed.

NoseyNick1
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@ccyl wrote:

The original Rewards system is clearly successful, retaining customers and drawing in new ones. The new Public Points system is not comparable in rewarding customers (Loyalty, AutoPay).

@ccyl The legacy program hasn't drawn in new customers for about 2 years. Everyone who joined since sometime in 2022 is on the new program so they would have no reason to care about this.

@NoseyNick1 

@NoseyNick1 wrote:

Another interesting thing about Lucky... NO OVERAGES.

If you run out of your minimal 250MB, "If your usage exceeds the data included in your plan or Add-On, we’ll send you a text message with a link to add a Service Pass should you wish to use more data. You can also continue to use data at reduced speeds of up to 128 Kbps for email, light browsing and messaging at no additional charge once you have exceeded your allotted data"

If 250MB was enough to get you most of the way through a month (like me), then 128kbps might be enough for the last few days anyway? It's better than the olde 56kbps modem days!   😉

In fact... even if you were downloading continuously, that's... like... another 250MB every... 4.5 hours? Did I do my maths right? I feel like I'm never going to need more than the minimum plan, never NEED any top-ups/add-ons/service-passes?

@NoseyNick1 Look close at the plan. It says "Data Add-ons / Data service passes are not available on this plan". It advises you to change plans if you need more data. So long as you can get by on 250MB you're golden.

Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 8.05.30 AM.png

jtennyuk
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

They accepted PM's objection in my attempt. Could you share how you worded it so that myself and others could submit that?

bw2024
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

public mobile, the subsidiary of Telus is forcing us to pay a higher price, thinking that all the other providers are the same. Because of their stupid move, it actually motivates me to look hard, very hard and I’m glad they did this, Fonus is offering global unlimited data and minutes to many countries (US, Canada and Mexico data and minutes) for $27 I’m switching all my public mobile accounts to them. Thanks for insisting in increasing your price Telus/public mobile !

@ccyl wrote:

The original Rewards system is clearly successful, retaining customers and drawing in new ones. The new Public Points system is not comparable in rewarding customers (Loyalty, AutoPay).

I know many customers share the same sentiment, I think it's important we state our dissatisfaction, so that Public Mobile can see the many unhappy LOYAL customers.

@ccyl the original rewards system hasn't been drawing in new customers since the points system was introduced in 2022

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Oakestester

My complaint was accepted by CCTS and they rejected PM's objection. Now it will go to adjudication.

It is absolutely worth filing a complaint, and if enough people do then they may reverse course like they did in the past.

Wolfchilla

technically the $7 (+tax too!) off per bill is still correct, because the new reward is not automatically deducted. You can only cash out only at $15, if I'm right? So perhaps you're right to say we don't lose $84 per year because we can deduct that $15, but we still pay $7 dollars more per month until we can get a $15 dollar coupon off for the year.

Most customers who are in the legacy program would have 5 years or close to 5 years seniority with the PM anyway, but you're right in saying that not everyone will. But close.

@Knockali5 

@Knockali5 wrote:

Today when I needed my rewards 240 GB data, it didn’t work.  It also disappeared from my account.  opened a ticket, let’s see what happens.  

By chance, did you downgrade your plans?  If you downgrade to cheaper plan, unfortunately, you will lose the 240 GB data bonus.  

marcnoel

I am puzzled by those commenting about a $ 7.00/month loss in Rewards.  Referrals and Community remain the same.  Loyalty is now $ 10.00/year, vs. $ 60.00 max..  $ 50.00 difference, ÷ 12 is ~ $ 4.17/month.  AutoPay was $ 2.00/month, and will become 5% off your bill.  Lowest price currently is $ 15.00 which equates to 75¢ off per month - $ 1.25 less.  $ 4.17 + $ 1.25 is $ 5.42 maximum loss per month.  If you have a higher-priced plan, loss is less.  Where do these people get $ 7.00 from?

You get $ 5.00 off per month only if you've been with PM at least 5 years.  A $ 60.00 plan will get $ 3.00 off per month.  If you started with PM in December of 2021, and are on Rewards, you'd still be at $ 2.00 per month Loyalty until your anniversary date, which is $ 24.00 a year.  That would be a $ 14.00 loss per year after the switch.  If you're on a $ 60.00 plan, AutoPay switch will give an extra $ 1.00 off per month.  So, a $ 14.00 loss, and a $ 12.00 gain.  $ 2.00 lost in the first year on Points.

Wolfchilla

I would like to know if there are any progress with those who have filed CCTS complaints. I am considering filing one, but not sure if it is worthwhile or if it would create problems.

As this isn't really a billing issue, they are raising the price without technically raising our bills. So I'm not sure we can retain the discounted price even if they aren't allowed to charge us for the extra amount while this is in dispute.

MintBerry

Happy to announce I am also now part of the "Accepted CCTS Complaint" crowd.  

The $140 they will have to pay to the CCTS for the accepted complaint would have been the equivalent of 2 years of the "old" Rewards to keep me as a happy customer. 

@NoseyNick1 wrote:

If you run out of your minimal 250MB, "If your usage exceeds the data included in your plan or Add-On, we’ll send you a text message with a link to add a Service Pass should you wish to use more data. You can also continue to use data at reduced speeds of up to 128 Kbps for email, light browsing and messaging at no additional charge once you have exceeded your allotted data"

If 250MB was enough to get you most of the way through a month (like me), then 128kbps might be enough for the last few days anyway? It's better than the olde 56kbps modem days!   😉

In fact... even if you were downloading continuously, that's... like... another 250MB every... 4.5 hours? Did I do my maths right? I feel like I'm never going to need more than the minimum plan, never NEED any top-ups/add-ons/service-passes?

From my research, Lucky mobile's $15 plan does not include unlimited throttled data after  you use up the 250 mb data.    Lucky mobile also does not have US roaming option.  

Every customer should do their own research to make sure their mobile company meets their needs.  

ccyl

I know many customers share the same sentiment, I think it's important we state our dissatisfaction, so that Public Mobile can see the many unhappy LOYAL customers.

NoseyNick1
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Lucster

@dmc69 wrote:

CCTS accepted my complaint. 

dmc69_0-1712084305369.png

Congrats and keep us posted on the positive news!  Is there a way you could share the complain you submitted so I can submit 6 of them.  Thanks in advance!

Lucster

@d3rdonnergott wrote:

Public Mobile objected to my complaint, but the CCTS objected to their objection. Keep up the pressure! 

Excellent news.  I'm truly happy to read that.  Keep up the pressure and share the outcome of your complain (assuming they do not impose a NDA).

kfc_99

I have a complaint about the forced change from the legacy rewards to public points program. Customers were told that the legacy rewards would continue as long as we were subscribed to Public Mobile. When Public Points were introduced, we were informed that joining was optional. The upcoming mandatory change is not consistent with what was promised in multiple communications from Public Mobile. Please give us a choice of which rewards program to utilize. Thanks.

Wolfcore
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I can name a bunch, but if you just want one, I'll offer up Lucky Mobile. They have arguably the best referral system in the game. For each referral, you and the person you refer, receive $50 ($5 per month, for 10 months). Add in the fact that the person you're referring is also receiving the same $50, all it does is make it even better. PM doesn't even come close to this.

In order to receive $50 from Public Mobile, you'd need to have a referral for over 4 years ($1 per month). You know how long 4 years is? A lot changes in the telecom industry in 4 years. 

TheRockGamers1
  • Screen capture of original email stating moving to new points system is optional verses today's forced move which resulted in $5 to$6 increase per month per cellphone plan.

Camera4617
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Too bad there is no 'thumbs down' option. 

Camera4617
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Did you change your phone plan?

@Patrick_PM 

That's really up to you - if you search through this thread, there are certainly lots of examples of prior written 'promises' they've made to Legacy Reward customers stating joining Public Points is optional and so long as you remain active with Public Mobile, you'd continue earning loyalty rewards per the program.

Perhaps another member has them on-hand to post for you.

@tofuman wrote:

Not happy with the forced change. I've been with Public Mobile for almost 10 years, and I just helped my parents to move to Public Mobile after being with Fido for 20+ years. Looks like it's time to move them out to another company along with me.

For you @tofuman , understandable since you'd be on the Legacy Rewards (presuming you hadn't joined Public Points), however if you only helped move your parents here SINCE January 2022, they're already on the Public Points program, so they will see no change to their rewards program.

Just food for thought, unless you'd all be doing it strictly out of principle.

Need Help? Let's chat.