Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have an important announcement to share with our subscribers who are currently enrolled in our old Rewards program.

We’re making changes to our rewards program and are sharing how these changes impact some of our subscribers. Starting in May, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program. 

We launched the Public Points™ program in January 2022 to provide our subscribers with more ways to earn and spend rewards, with greater flexibility. As part of our commitment to continuously evolve our products and services, it's time to retire our old Rewards program and shift our focus on enhancing our Points program.

To show our appreciation for your continued loyalty, subscribers on our old Rewards program will receive a special thank you. We'll send you a text message when it has been added to your account by March 31st. 

We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward.

To learn more about your move to Public Points, check out our FAQ here.

The Public Mobile Team

5,198 REPLIES 5,198

thatISmyname
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Apologies for replying here, this new setup is not intuitive to me at all.  I couldn't even use my old nickname (the form screen said it was already in use) so I'm stuck with this one I entered in anger.  ARGH. 

I haven't gone through all the posts (WAY too infuriating!) so I'm really just here because it sounds like I'm about to lose my remaining accumulated past reward bonuses of 5.49GB (NON-expiring data) and 1487 minutes of International Long Distance (also NON-expiring).  Can anyone definitively confirm that? 

Since I have internet at home, I rarely use it on my phone, but having nearly 6GB of backup available has been reassuring, especially for those times when the internet goes down on my modem!  (It's also been reassuring to have the International Long Distance minutes, though I'll grant my 93 year old mother gets more use out of them to call old friends in Germany.)

Honestly, without these Bonus minutes and data, I don't see any other reason to stay with Public Mobile.  The website is a joke, there's no more customer service, the list goes on.  It's too bad; I started with PM in May of 2014, and I was really impressed with it then.  In the ensuing 10 years, it has *not* improved with age. 

glimmercat - not "thatISmyname" 

LTD2023
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I hope so, I don't want to leave PM but these days, you have to shop with your wallet.

@LTD2023 wrote:

@will13am wrote:  If people think they can find better elsewhere, have at it.  After cycling through the stages of grief, I suspect many will come to the realization that things are not so bad here. I have the 3G $15 plan with 250MG data 100 min Canada-wide calling unlimited texting. My referrals have already left PM and with my erwards disappearing, I have cycled through my grief. Another provider has a yearly plan with 15g data, unlimited T&T on 4G LTE for $119. I wonder where I'll take my business??

So you should.  Shop with your wallet, not your heart.  Maybe this will help to bring a similar plan option to this brand.  

hi @Aehmttw yes for the cheapest plan with the most data

btw, the new app now cam access rewards and check and redeem points, so it is easier than ever 😉

Aehmttw
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Eh, it's fine really. There around xmas one of the agents helped me set up with one of those special offer plans and even if I don't use the point system (which I wont because I am forgetful and will never log in for it lol) or the old loyalty discounts. Still have the cheapest plan with the most data. 

LTD2023

@will13am wrote:  If people think they can find better elsewhere, have at it.  After cycling through the stages of grief, I suspect many will come to the realization that things are not so bad here.

I have the 3G $15 plan with 250MG data 100 min Canada-wide calling unlimited texting. My referrals have already left PM and with my erwards disappearing, I have cycled through my grief. Another provider has a yearly plan with 15g data, unlimited T&T on 4G LTE for $119. I wonder where I'll take my business??

Robbwell

My point was they can't make changes that affect our past behaviour. We've earned the $1/mo/yr forever.

They can put what they like in the Terms of Service and take their chances with external overseers.

hi @Michael6666 PM's intention is to save money and not to drive subscribers away.  In fact they have great in lower overall plan price with more data for both new subscribers and existing. 

@Michael6666 wrote:

They could have increased those price points.. 

They could have locked all accounts on the old system and a change in plan would force you to the new points system. 

So many ways that are not possible to object to legally. 

In this case, they made future promises on rewards, it's just not logical to remove them. But you can effectively force people out humanely. 

I feel like trash with this method

I believe the lower end plan prices are covered by government mandates.  

Michael6666
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

They could have increased those price points.. 

They could have locked all accounts on the old system and a change in plan would force you to the new points system. 

So many ways that are not possible to object to legally. 

In this case, they made future promises on rewards, it's just not logical to remove them. But you can effectively force people out humanely. 

I feel like trash with this method

@RetiredGuy1 wrote:

So, as a shareholder could you please explain the merits you are referring to since “record profits” is apparently not enough?

Respectfully, no.  Inflation invariably makes new number appear larger than last year's comps.  

@mikasik2 wrote:

@hTideGnow wrote:

hi @will13am yes , unfortunately consumers only sees from their angle and update ar anything that cost them money..they don't see the big picture 

Telus just posted record profits

The other side of the coin is $13 accounts paying $6 in perpetuity.  These days $6 doesn't buy a single burger.  I hate to pit one group of customers against another group.  I think it was the unsustainability of giving $7 rewards to $13 and $15 customers caused this change.  Let's just agree to disagree if you are not willing to look at this problem from all angles.  

giaboni

I am reading there are many angry Public Mobile customers who are on the old rewards program already complaining to the CCTS as mentioned here:

https://mobilesyrup.com/2024/03/12/customer-complaints-public-mobiles-shutting-down-legacy-points-pr...

https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/2024/03/11/public-mobile-users-protest-rewards-cut-ccts

What I DO NOT appreciate is this statement and I quote "We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward."  This is my personal opinion is complete lie as how are loyal existing customers on old rewards program earning more when we are forced to switch to new rewards program if we all have calculated that by going to new rewards program we will lose approximately 75% to 80% in terms of dollar value in rewards per month.  

You want to discontinue the old rewards program fine, just don't treat us like idiots and lie to us with these statements that have ZERO TRUTH to it.

RetiredGuy1
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

So, as a shareholder could you please explain the merits you are referring to since “record profits” is apparently not enough?

JDBlue1966

They should have kept the old program for loyal customers. Then just have the new one for new customers. Its that simple.

Michael6666

Freedom isn't available in Quebec for porting in a number, I tried. 

Michael6666

Maybe in over 2 years! 

In this case, you buy a 4$ sim card vs 5$ for public mobile, 15$ off in the third month and a 20$ Dollarama gift card.

Public mobile has 30 day months, so that is 1.44% lost yearly in actual cost vs lucky. 

It would take 24 months to accumulate 30 points at public mobile. With lucky, you get 35$ back after 3 months and the flexibility to move elsewhere if you choose without losing these god awful points. 

The 1.44% is = 5.25/365.25

15$ X 24 months X (0.05 - 0.0144) + 20 = 32 points. 

hi @mikasik2 so, buy more Telus shares now, they now find more ways to save and stock price will go up further 

mikasik2

@hTideGnow wrote:

hi @will13am yes , unfortunately consumers only sees from their angle and update ar anything that cost them money..they don't see the big picture 

Telus just posted record profits

@RetiredGuy1 wrote:

Yes, but PM decided themselves to increase their risk - it wasn’t forced upon them. As others have pointed out, Telus just recorded record profits. “If it ain’t broke, don’t try to fix it”

Well, if I put on my customer hat, I tend to agree with what you are saying.  When I put on my shareholder hat, I can see the merits of what they are doing.  

hi @Robbwell 

I don't like the change as much as you.  I would save a lot more with the legacy system.

But please it is true that  Rewards system is a perk and can be change  with sufficient notice 

Ref (Legacy Rewards General Rewards Rules:)

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/General-Reward-Rules/ta-p/164

Public Mobile reserves the right to change all Rewards at its sole discretion and without advance notice.

RetiredGuy1
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Yes, but PM decided themselves to increase their risk - it wasn’t forced upon them. As others have pointed out, Telus just recorded record profits. “If it ain’t broke, don’t try to fix it”

@RetiredGuy1 wrote:

Businesses also rely on having a good reputation and this change will impact PMs in a negative way

All change comes with risks, such is the nature of running a business.  

Robbwell

PM can make changes for future activity. Like, they can change AutoPay and subscribers can respond to the new arrangement.

PM can't make changes to past terms like the $1 per year loyalty reward. It's too late. Those rewards are earned. We cannot go back and decline to participate.  They can change legacy loyalty for the future, like they can say if you are working your way to 5, the current year will be the last.

Matty1234

Not going for it myself but freedom have annnual plan of $119, I think its unlimited text/calls and 15gb of data over the year. Obviously I don't know your budget and paying $119 upfront will put off some people. 

dariovitale

Problem with the Lucky Mobile $15 a month plan is that it's 3G and only has 100 mins talk time. 

BETTER OFF with Freedom Mobile's prepaid $119 yearly 4G plan with unlimited national calling and texting with 15GB total for the year.

loiccv123

Public Mobile used to be one of my favorite companies, I would recommend it to all my friends. This announcement, as well as the perfectly engineered completely useless data Add-ons just made me, the entire PM subreddit and others here lose all respect we had. Get in a meeting and figure out some changes you can make to the point system that will make old and loyal customers like myself have any reason to want to stay with PM. Disgusting Corporate Greed

Gunblastz

I have the $15 payment plan and I get $6 off every month, only paying $9. Anyone know of a different company that offers a phone plan with that price? I feel stabbed in the back after referring people to PM and being a loyal customer here

hi @Michael6666 for a $15 plan which the other provider offering the same price , the 5% points back plus the 10 points per year still a better deal.  Yes, they have a different services and subscribers can weigh them according to their needs

Need Help? Let's chat.