cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATED: Get a SIM + $20 bill credit when you activate a Talk + Text plan at Walmart!

Brooke_C
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Update as of July 3, 2018: This offer will expire on July 4th, 2018. 

Updated as of June 29, 2018: This is now a limited time offer and is subject to change without notice.

Hey Community, 

As a competitive response, effective today, we are offering a SIM card and a $20 account credit when you activate a Public Mobile SIM card on a 30 or 90-day Talk + Text plan at Walmart! Note that this is now a limited time offer and is subject to change without notice.  

How to Get this Offer:

• $20 account credit: When you activate a Public Mobile SIM card on a 30 or 90-day Talk + Text plan at a Walmart location, you will get a $20 account credit!
    • Eligible customers will be credited within 72 hours. These credits will count towards your next renewal date.
    • Eligible customers will receive a confirmation text message when the credit has been applied to your account. These details can also be found by signing in to your Self-Serve account.
  • $0 SIM Card: SIM cards will be $0 when you activate on any 30 or 90-day plan at a Walmart location.
    • If you wish to pick up a SIM card in-store and activate at home, you will be asked to pay the regular retail price by the retailer.
    • SIM cards purchased online will be regular price ($10 each)

To learn more about Public Mobile, click here.

-Public Mobile Community Team 

386 REPLIES 386

ed94
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

hi, I went to walmart niagara falls today to get the $40 dollar plan and the free SIM + $20 bill credit. The Walmart associates told me they did not have any information regarding this promo!! so i wasted my time!! is this promo just for selected walmart locations?

Devicedoctors1

Please change the info about buying the sims at walmart ....THEY will not sell the sims !!!!

• $0 SIM Card: SIM cards will be $0 when you activate on any 30 or 90-day plan at a Walmart location.
    • If you wish to pick up a SIM card in-store and activate at home, you will be asked to pay the regular retail price by the retailer.
    • SIM cards purchased online will be regular price ($10 each)

BrandonBerner

Oops! I completely missed that expiry. Thanks for pointing that out @wetcoaster

@Yiatiohi wrote:

@BrandonBerner wrote:

What a great deal! ....I wonder if the $10 bill credit when adding a referal [Source] is stackable with the $0 SIM + $20 bill credit at walmart [Source]...thus making a total bill credit of $30.

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks 🙂

Is there also an additional  $10 credit ?

@Yiatiohi

The $10 credit that @BrandonBerner refers to expired on May 10/2018, as clearly outlined in the post they linked to.

Yiatiohi
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@BrandonBerner wrote:

What a great deal! ....I wonder if the $10 bill credit when adding a referal [Source] is stackable with the $0 SIM + $20 bill credit at walmart [Source]...thus making a total bill credit of $30.

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks 🙂

Is there also an additional  $10 credit ?

BrandonBerner

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks 🙂

Yiatiohi

Good advise - I found that the moderators do their very best to help out and deserve thanks.

Yiatiohi

Don't know how to post a general to all post - BUT since all of us are consumers looking for a good deal why not each of us give thumbs up bravos to all and help fellow users save a bit of $$$  I have been doing this to most posts that I receive.

Acekiller
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

good to see more promo coming

youbme

@dna2016 wrote:

@meocon

Any person you refer to Public Mobile you would get a referral credit, however you have to make sure the Walmart employee, or anyone who is activating the new account, includes your phone number in the system when activating.  It's pretty simple from what I remember, the system shows/asks "if referred, input phone number of person who referred you" (or something like that).  If I were you I'd be watching the screen while the person does the activation, becuase if it is missed then you can't go back to fix it, and therefore lose out on that referral credit.

The promo mentions 30 or 90 day talk + text plans, so if you're changing your plan in the 2nd month to a talk only plan, then you might as well pick the 30 day talk + text, and then in the 2nd month (you would have gotten your $20 credit prior to this 2nd month) change the plan to the talk only. 

Exactly! This is a pretty sweet deal for those who were considering one of the talk/text options, especially the $10 plan. And, 30-days isn't a huge committment, easy to switch to a data plan afterwards...

@smp99 wrote:

@dna2016 wrote:

Nice, a competitve response, good to see PM acting immediately based on the competitior movements.  But which competitor is this in response to, anyone know? 

Not a bad deal, free SIM and $20 bill credit, along with all the other perks, not bad.  But would be nice if this can be extended to talk+text+data as well.

Well, it is confirmed that the $10 plan works for this promo. So sign up for the $10 plan, wait 2 days to get your $20 credit, then switch to any plan you want with data. 

Very neat!

Just heard back from the team and they have told us that this promo is eligible on any Talk+Text plan activated at Walmart. However, Talk+Text+Data plans are not eligible for this promo. 

smp99

@dna2016 wrote:

Nice, a competitve response, good to see PM acting immediately based on the competitior movements.  But which competitor is this in response to, anyone know? 

Not a bad deal, free SIM and $20 bill credit, along with all the other perks, not bad.  But would be nice if this can be extended to talk+text+data as well.

Well, it is confirmed that the $10 plan works for this promo. So sign up for the $10 plan, wait 2 days to get your $20 credit, then switch to any plan you want with data. 

dna2016

@meocon

Any person you refer to Public Mobile you would get a referral credit, however you have to make sure the Walmart employee, or anyone who is activating the new account, includes your phone number in the system when activating.  It's pretty simple from what I remember, the system shows/asks "if referred, input phone number of person who referred you" (or something like that).  If I were you I'd be watching the screen while the person does the activation, becuase if it is missed then you can't go back to fix it, and therefore lose out on that referral credit.

The promo mentions 30 or 90 day talk + text plans, so if you're changing your plan in the 2nd month to a talk only plan, then you might as well pick the 30 day talk + text, and then in the 2nd month (you would have gotten your $20 credit prior to this 2nd month) change the plan to the talk only. 

dna2016

@meocon  ouch that sucks, bad luck on that timing. 

dna2016

Ya @mimmo that's what I'm trying to figure out also.  I didn't hear any noise from other networks.

dna2016

@jackal wrote:

This is a great deal for new PM customers or those looking for a second line - on the $10 plan, you are essentially getting 2 months free.

The lure of getting two active phone numbers on one phone dangles before me again.  Especially since AutoPay and Referral rewards can effectively bring the price of a second PM phone number down to around only $7 per month.  No need to carry around two cellphones, a "private" number for friends/family/etc and a "public" number for work/strangers/etc.

Can anyone recommend any good Dual SIM phones for this?  The "second line" would need Talk (and Caller ID, and Voicemail), wouldn't really need Text (although that's a bonus), and would never need Data ... but both phone numbers would need to be simultaneously and constantly active.

toolman

This is a great promo but it sucks that it doesn't apply to WowMobile as well. I have one two blocks away and walmart is considerably further.

Does WowMobile not do activations? Or are they just selling the sim cards? I purchased a sim for the $10 promo but like many of us I just activated it myself at home?

jackal

I signed up on this plan at Walmart and the process was flawless.

1. Sim card is free

2. $10 plan (50 minutes talk and 50 text) is eligible -- you will get the $20 credit 72 hours after initial activation

3. The Walmart associate asked me if I had a referral

4. He asked if I would like Autopay activated, which saves another $2 per month

This is a great deal for new PM customers or those looking for a second line - on the $10 plan, you are essentially getting 2 months free.

djmitch99

Agreed.  Major savings from my previous carrier.  Was $85 , now $53 per month for more services and flexibility.  Love it!

@stonechucker

lol I keep passing my referred friends to my other referred friends, let them gain the Reward instead.  I also feel a little embarassed to ask if I could use them to save a measly $1/month, it kinda seems like I'm putting a cheap value on friendship, lol.  Agreed, first world problems.

And like you, I'm already saving money with PM.  My "monthly" cost on PM is now <$27 while on Virgin it was $85, plus I get more now than before, and I don't need to deal with Virgin's accusatory/hostile billing people whenever they make outrageous billing errors I refuse to pay.  (I'm not talking an extra ten bucks, I mean they kept on placing the same $714 "internal" surcharge on every monthly bill, without explanation, without apology, and I had to waste a lot of time trying to get my phone service unsuspended again, every month, with the same increasingly unpleasant Virgin "collections" people.)

@winnipeg: I’ve referred many people to Public Mobile, and only two of them have put my phone number in the referral line.  I don’t. Give a **bleep** about the $3 every renewal, because I’m already saving $50 per 30 days compared to my previous providers.

Greed will get you nowhere. Simply suggest to your friends and family that this provider has saved you money, and it may save money for them too.

First world problems......

winnipeg
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Send a mesaage to moderators 

winnipeg

The issue is there is no longer annincentive for someone to put referral during activation. I like previous deal better where if i referred someone, they would get extra $10

ztra

I just signed up for this promotion today at Wal-Mart. I didn't do anything with the referral number as I don't know anyone on public mobile yet. I will be adding my wife once our other prepaid phone plan is done. I expect the credit will show up in a few days.

Sam_Natche2

I would recomend you send the moderator's a privte message explaining that. You might be able to get at least a partial credit

smp99

If I were a Walmart employee I could probably get my bill down to zero in no time 

LEGO

@m199 Walmart will input referral number if you tell them so, otherwise they will leave that section blank. Referral numbers are not necessary for activation, but to recognize people who help a lot here, you could have choose one from Community Bravos Leaderboard and ask them for their number.

@djmitch99 wrote:

If I already have a line and was thinking of getting a second line, will this promotion be available to me?  It says new customers only, wasnt sure if that meant you cant use it on a current account but opening a second line is ok,

There's no such thing at Public Mobile as opening a second line on a current account.  Each phone number that you have at Public Mobile be on it's own separate account.  The promotion is going to work for any new line activation.

Need Help? Let's chat.