cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special announcement coming soon

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hey Community,

Back in the summer of ‘17, we announced that we were expanding our presence by selling our SIM cards at both national and independent retailers.  We wanted to give Canadians more control and choice: purchase and activate online or visit your local neighbourhood store.

Since then, we’ve launched at many great retail partners like, Walmart, WOW! Mobile, K-Mobile, London Drugs, The Mobile Shop, Koodo Authorized Dealers, and various independent wireless retailers. In 2019, we’re continuing this journey with the same goal in mind: empower more Canadians to do wireless differently. To that end, we have yet another special announcement coming soon about an exciting addition to our current line-up. Stay tuned for more details!

- Public Mobile Community Team

104 REPLIES 104

Pizzaeh

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Pizzaeh wrote:

All Public Mobile customers get a free Samsung Galaxy S10+. For Free. Just because.  You heard it here first.  If not, then a hot slice of pizza in the mail.  That's what I call a win-win.

very funny

We get all that for $25 per 30 days?

That's nothing, check out the special announcement, now that's funny.

@MoreYummy wrote:

@Pizzaeh wrote:

All Public Mobile customers get a free Samsung Galaxy S10+. For Free. Just because.  You heard it here first.  If not, then a hot slice of pizza in the mail.  That's what I call a win-win.

You keep the pizza.    Let me take the s10- 

The s10- is all yours my friend.

@Pizzaeh wrote:

You keep the pizza.    Let me take the s10- 

@Pizzaeh wrote:

very funny

We get all that for $25 per 30 days?

Pizzaeh

It will be hard to live up too all this hype.  Since we have all this hype, anything less than earth shattering will seem like a disappointment.

@PlanShopper, will never happen.  Fizz is only in Quebec (and possibly Ottawa) so it will not be seen as a competitor nationally.

Also, PM has NO ZONES AT ALL, nor do Chatr or Lucky for that matter anymore.

As for the surprise... who knows when it will be announced.

PlanShopper
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

My guesses (aka wishlist)
-Speed bump for 3G plans, maybe 10mb down, 3.5 up?
-LTE Data Add-ons (IE: LTE speed one-time data booster with rollover?)
-Data Rollover in general?

I think this because the direct competitor that operates a similar business model was likely expected to "Fizz" out. They just recently came out of beta, so to prevent customers from leaving or to have similar offerings, they have to adapt slightly. The only major one that FM offers which PM doesn't, is data rollover for 3 months. Aside from that, they have rewards, loyalty, no call centers, and their plans are generally $1 cheaper for the same features (no biggie).

Except FM has zones...kind of. Less so than Freedom, but more so than PM.

Anyways, these are my thoughts and wishes...

With all this hype and the long wait ....sure wouldn't want to be responsible for this if it is a DUD. Robot Mad

@Luddite wrote:

@Alan_K  Not ready yet, eh? A week is not long enough drama I guess. Perhaps, a month will suffice. Wait a minute, I know who knows.Robot LOL

The ShadowThe Shadow

The Shadow knows!  😉

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@Alan_K  Not ready yet, eh? A week is not long enough drama I guess. Perhaps, a month will suffice. Wait a minute, I know who knows.Robot LOL

The ShadowThe Shadow

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@dlovestoshare  Wider range of payment options at these online locations for vouchers: https://www.recharge.com/en/canada/public-mobile-top-up and https://www.ding.com.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

dlovestoshare
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Woman Indifferent  Sadly, I was hoping for new methods for making payments.

Don't get me wrong, I feel expansion is good especially if I might have another location where I can make a payment but seriously, not being able to make payments from my bank website is ludicrous. It is the one and only method I use to pay all my utilities.

As far as I know, the only online method is via credit cards and the only other option is to go to a brick & mortar location, buy what seem to be random quantities and then apply them to the account. Please correct me if I'm wrong. 

As others have said, I agree... Skip the hype.

I dunno theres alot of capital cost involved there

Plus labour to stock / collect

@slash407 wrote:

it has to be vending machines, thats the way the worlds moving

Surprised not many guesses / bets in this thread

My guess> BestBuy

National chain, no pressure no commission, etc

danielj
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Alan_K wrote:

Hey Community,

Back in the summer of ‘17, we announced that we were expanding our presence by selling our SIM cards at both national and independent retailers.  We wanted to give Canadians more control and choice: purchase and activate online or visit your local neighbourhood store.

Since then, we’ve launched at many great retail partners like, Walmart, WOW! Mobile, K-Mobile, London Drugs, The Mobile Shop, Koodo Authorized Dealers, and various independent wireless retailers. In 2019, we’re continuing this journey with the same goal in mind: empower more Canadians to do wireless differently. To that end, we have yet another special announcement coming soon about an exciting addition to our current line-up. Stay tuned for more details!

- Public Mobile Community Team

@Alan_K stated "Stay tuned for more details!" ... No details on the date of the annoucement. ... If they are trying to hype up an anouncement, they can tell us the date of the annoucement.

sbreakin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Have to admit there's been lots of great ideas & guesses & comments.

I don't recall a preview announcement when adding retail options in the past either - usually a 1 or 2 month special (such as a credit to offset sim or 2nd month).

I was surprised that someone noted that they've had vending machines before& doubt it would be that.  e-sim would be cool for the newer phones but since few tel co's have it yet doubt PM would get that already.

The phrasing does make it sound like a new distribution option.

Doubt it's a new plan but if it is... 

I too would like a plan to compete with Freedom's $20 -$5 (if auto pay) = $15 which has 100 minutes, unlimited text & tiny bit of fast data. 

PM's $10 plan (50min/ 50 text) has been great for kids first plan but it's bit of jump to $20 for unlimited text - or - unltd call). Kid has been great. Had the plan for 6 months & only over a little - so for minutes the add on minutes has been handy to cover but no add on for text.

Hmm, i guess we have to keep watch for the announcement. 

Say did anybody suggest the availability of a couple of basic phones? Some competitors have that - although most of us have a hand me down phones & this would mean inventory & delivery...  

If They add PayPal and More Roam around the Globe, I'd be happy, Imagine, Roam in Rome, and saying hi as you eat a slice of Roam Pizza, That would be interesting

sherr6

I just reread it again, and I agree with you, @cavemantoronto.

Someone mentioned vending machines... that would be a great idea in my opinion. I've had an issue purchasing at a Walmart weeks ago. And based on what I read here, I'm not alone in that.

Everyone is watiing. 

It probably has nothing to do with the plan. Cat Happy

@sherr6 wrote:

Must be new roaming options. Mexico? Update to US roaming add-ons? That's what I'm guessing.

Doubt it. It's going to be about stores and new ways and places to buy. If not, why say all that stuff about the other retailers?

sherr6

Must be new roaming options. Mexico? Update to US roaming add-ons? That's what I'm guessing.

TheAnswer
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Conversation overheard at Public Mobile Marketing HQ (local Tim Horton's)...

Bob, Team Leader in Public Mobile Marketing: Hey Jimbo, what do you think if we annouce a teaser, to get people excited about Public Mobile?

Jim (reports to Bob) in Public Mobile Marketing: Bob, I think that's an awesome idea.

Bob, Team Leader in Public Mobile Marketing: This is going to be epic! It will drive customers to Public Mobile in droves. The c-suite is going to love me.

Jim (reports to Bob) in Public Mobile Marketing: Errr, Bob....is that it?

Bob, Team Leader in Public Mobile Marketing: What do you mean?

Jim (reports to Bob) in Public Mobile Marketing: First of all, it's a fantastic idea, Public Mobile wouldn't be where it is today without your leadership. Second, could you let me in on what we're teasing?

Bob, Team Leader in Public Mobile Marketing: The usual.  New plans, new retailers/channels to sell Public Mobile SIMs. Anything to increase the number of Public Mobile customers. Do I have to think of everything? Geez.

Jim (reports to Bob) in Public Mobile Marketing: Yes, of course, your ideas are amazing, as always.

Bob, Team Leader in Public Mobile Marketing: The next quarter financials are coming up, so get on this stat!

Jim (reports to Bob) in Public Mobile Marketing: Sure thing. Wait, when should this marketing campaign begin and how long should we run it for?

Bob, Team Leader in Public Mobile Marketing: That's your job, Jimbo. I take care of the sizzle, you and the rest of the team take care of the steak.

Jim (reports to Bob) in Public Mobile Marketing: Yes, you're right.  The team and I will figure out the details.  

Bob, Team Leader in Public Mobile Marketing: Cool, I knew I could count on you guys.  It's your turn to buy today, right?  I'll have a large double double and might as well add a dozen donuts for the rest of the team.  

Jim (reports to Bob) in Public Mobile Marketing: No problem, I'll pickup the tab today...hmmph.

Apologies to Jim and Bob in Marketing.

With all this hype caused by withholding this info from us, it better be good or it will be a big letdown.

Knockali

I signed up in a flea market this Sunday. Better offers than stores, free sim and $60 voucher.  This is probably new channel of presence in places where people go.  

@Alan_K wrote:

coming soon

zzz... ETA on "soon"?

le54VuC.jpg

dezn
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

This is interesting and hope to see what it is. I also want to see a Public Mobile app and a $15 plan with everything from $10 plan but with unlimited texting in the future. Keep it up!

MoreYummy
Mayor / Maire

Lets see what that is.!  Smiley Happy

Or another surprise like before.Smiley LOL

homer
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

So exciting! I thought it would be about special rate plans for loyal customers though lol 

smp99

On with it. It’s getting a little bit frustrating now

slacker4life
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hmmm ...exciting addition to our current line-up... maybe selling unlocked phones? Apple Watch plan? A mobile app?

Need Help? Let's chat.