Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Picture and Group Messaging End Date | Feb 14

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community, 

Starting February 14th, 2024, select customers may be required to update either their settings or upgrade their device to continue using Multimedia Messaging Service, better known as MMS without interruption. 

Who is affected by this change?
Customers may be affected if:

• The most recent software update from the manufacturer has not been installed
  • Devices are no longer supported by the manufacturer’s software updates
  • Devices are purchased outside Canada

You will be contacted to upgrade their device. 

For more information on how to update your settings (IOS & Android) or device recommendation to ensure compatibility, review this Help Article. 

What is MMS?
Multimedia Messaging Service is the way mobile devices send and receive pictures, videos and group conversations across networks.

MMS is supported across phone manufacturers and operating systems on nearly all phone models that have data capabilities. MMS messages are sent through your normal messaging app that sends and receives text messages. 

Note: Third-party messaging services, such as Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp, that have picture, video and group message features are not affected by this change.

What do I do if I get an email saying I need a new or replacement device?
As our network evolves, older devices (usually from 2015 or earlier) may require replacement. Rest assured, your voice, SMS, and data services will not be impacted by this change. We regularly make network updates to ensure our customers are kept up-to-date with the latest security and software updates from manufacturers. 

If you’re interested in continuing to use picture and group messaging services we have partnered with Mobile Klinik to bring you top-quality Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) phones that are tested and inspected by expert technicians to work like new at a fraction of the cost. With over 150 store locations across Canada, and an online website, Mobile Klinik offer's convenient access to a wide selection of refurbished devices that are backed by a 1 year warranty.

- The Public Mobile Team 

95 REPLIES 95

KWReid
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

These worked for me on my OnePlus 11.  Took a few changes to work though.
Screenshot_2024-04-12-16-30-21-21_426a5588c5110cd01d5af17e47adb223.jpg

snowshoe

Hi Veedubb,

there is the option of a complaint. It is a long shot, but you never know. You  could also complain about

the rewards progam changing, if it affects you.

You can complain to Public Mobile support, then CCTS, and in parallel your member of parliament.

https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/2024/03/31/ccts-rejecting-public-mobile-responses-rewards-complaints/

The president of Telus, Mr Darren Entwistle, was invited to appear before the House of Common's Industry committee  a few weeks ago. While at the committe he claimed he was saving money for his customers. 

If you provide your MP with a different point of view they can ask questions and make their own opinion.

Ultimately the federal government defines the laws for telecommunications. From these laws comes the CRTC and CCTS and the existence of  Public Mobile.

Good luck.

veedubb
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

So I am left with little choice. Thanks your helpful comments Snowshoe.

snowshoe

In a word, Yes. They finally admitted that the Moto E5 play doesnot support MMS on their network.

I contacted support and CCTS. both reviewed the APN settings, deemed they were set correctly, as per their guidelines. then they both declared there was nothing to do; the phone does not work on their network.

The Moto e5 play is using android 8.0. Motorola (Lenovo) never provided an upgrade for the phone.

My choices are : get a new(er) phone, use Whatsup or similar, or change service providers.

Note that RCS on android does work for texting and MMS, but does not interoperate with the Apple world.

I am using my wife's old phone for now.  If I have to buy a new phone, not sure Public will be a cost effective solution.

If you want to root a phone you check out Lineage OS. but make sure you have a backup phone in case.

Good luck.

veedubb

Hi Snowshoe.

Are you saying that even if support helps me tweak my APN settings to get it resolved, that SMS would still be degraded as it is now? My only issue is I cannot send or receive pics & vids via text. 

It seems like I may have to change to another phone. Or I may  root my phone to change the APN setting.

Were they able to resolve this issue with your Moto E5 Play?

snowshoe

Hi Veedubb,

If you go through support they can tweak or reset a few things that may help.

I also have a Moto E5 play. If you get APN resolved then you will find that SMS texting is degraded.

You will not be able to send or receive images or videos  (MMS). Nor will you be able to participate in groups in SMS.

the messages do not leave or do not arrive.  the only SMS that works is plain text person to person.

PM solutions were I should change my phone or use whatsapps. 

Hope this works out for you.

Craig

Batman1969

So Dust2dust suggeted I restart then turn airplane mode on, then off and for some reason that worked. 

Batman1969

Heelo, I have a  Xiaomi Mi A1. MMS and pictures were working fine up to and including February 26th.  after that they stopped. I changed all the APN settings first the way it said via the Public Mobil emai, then when that didn't work after rebooting the phone several times...and then wating 24 hours to see if it just had to be changed on Publics side...I tried some of the tweaks I have seen in this thread. None worked.  I checked and my phone is still on their list as a phone that works.    So I am not sure what to do next.   Data is on when trying to receive pictures. Not roaming .  Not sure what to do next. TIA

WH21

APN name sp.mb.com

WH21

My ulefone 10xpro works you have to set your APN settings Make an new apn

APN name sp.mp.com

go to MMSC http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc

mms proxy mmscproxy.mobility.ca

mms port 8799

MCC 302

MNC 220

APN Type default.mms.supl.fota.hipri

apn protocol IPv4

APN roaming protocol IPv4

mvno type GD

mvno value 4D4F

enter just  those and it should work mine did

zhadj030
Mayor / Maire

My LG V50 just suddenly stopped getting MMS today. But the message was a bit different, it said that there was a carrier temporary error and it could not get MMS.

After  a few minutes it showed me a different error that my APN settings were wrong. It is the same APN for more than 6 years now. After I checked, there were 2 changes that fixed it for me.

Change 1 : MMSC proxy: mmscproxy.mobility.ca

Change 2: MMS port: 80 To ----> MMS port: 8799

DavidSmit

OnePlus users:

I've been without MMS for a few weeks now and have tried practically every combination of APN settings listed out there in various forums discussing this issue, including getting a new SIM card and wiping my device back to factory settings.  Nothing seemed to work except for the very last thing I tried:

Goto "settings > apps > disabled apps" and find an app called "carrier device manager" and enable it.   Then toggle airplane mode on/off.

My MMS messages came pouring in after that, but I'm not sure if that's the reason or something else.  Worth a try.

On a OnePlus Nord N20 5g

jhhead

My wife has a Pixel 4a and it worked properly for RCS however any iPhone MMS or group messages would not download for the past couple weeks. 

Tried all the troubleshooting and savings settings many times.

I JUST got it to work and it was such a simple change.... 

FIX THAT WORKED FOR ME:

APN protocol changed to IPv4

(when it was set for IPv4/IPv6 it didn't work)

Hopefully this can help others as it is SUPER frustrating following directions and having things not function properly. 

Here is the full list of the adjusted settings:

Public Mobile APN settings for Google Pixel 4a - Canada APN settings - APN.how
Go to Settings > Connections > Mobile networks > Access Point Names 
Press Add on right top corner. If your phone has already set values for Mobile Internet for any fields below leave them.
Change the other fields as below.
Name: Public Mobile (or whatever you want to call it)
APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy:
Port:
Username:
Password:
Server:
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
Multimedia message proxy: mmscproxy.mobility.ca
Multimedia message port: 8799
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication type:
APN type:  default,mms,supl,fota,hipri
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
Bearer: Unspecified
Restart your phone to apply new Mobile Internet APN settings.

veedubb

Hi.

I have been trying to change my APN for the last couple of days and it won't take on my Moto E5 Play. And even adding a new entry, my phone will not use it and always goes back to using the the original APN settings, which grey out and cannot be modified. I have exhausted all methods of changing it as it is locked in the SIMM card. I have verified this by using the SIMM from my work phone.

Therefore, I believe the only way to change the APN on my phone is to change the SIMM card that contains the new APN settings. Can this be confirmed? If so, can I get one for free from a PM retailer?

I will not purchase another phone, nor am I willing to purchase another SIMM card for something the carrier did and no fault of mine.

And with the upcoming changes to the PM rewards change, it gives me more incentive to switch to another provider if no assistance is provided by PM, though I am willing to remain if the APN situation gets resolved.

Please advise.

Thank you.
Wayne

vvneng

I got MMS restored on my OnePlus 11 following the APN settings from here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Re-OnePlus-11-5G-MMS-messages/m-p/1155783...

GJ888

Do you know if OnePlus 7 is supported? I tried the different apn's (Telus , PC mobile and PM) but that didn't work.

EHCANADIAN83

The mvno type and value had to be added to my apn for Public Mobile 

EHCANADIAN83

Mobile Internet

APNsp.mb.com
MMSChttp://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
Typedefault,mms,supl,fota,hipri
MMS port8799
MMS proxymmscproxy.mobility.ca
MVNO typegid
MVNO value

4D4F

JamJam2

That's not true

JamJam2

Switching networks worked for a friend. Just don't switch to a Telus subsidiary.  PC mobile worked for my friend.

JamJam2

If you want to keep your phone and the APN switch doesn't work. Try switching to the Bell network (PC mobile)worked for my friends phone. OnePlus receives MMS now

Yggy

Thanks for all those details, unfortunately the new settings don't work for me, even when I create a new APN entry. I have a Motorola g6 running Android 9, bought in June 2019.

RCS messaging works (but only with people who have RCS available, so no iPhones yet).

I've changed Messages > Settings > Advanced > Group messaging to "Send an SMS reply to all recipients and get individual replies (mass text)". This allows me to receive MMS messages and reply, but when I reply my message go individually to each person in the group. Not ideal, but better than nothing.

Amped

Well I was able to get an old Galaxy S6 working again.  The APN list was a mess.  For some reason there were three entries for Public, two or three for Telus and a couple of Koodo entries. I deleted every single one and then made a new APN with the updated settings and MMS messages are working again.

EHCANADIAN83

Ulefone Power Armor 14 Pro

_20240307_220808.png

 is affected as well.

jschmied73

Looks like I'm hosed on our two phones for this.  We can both MMS to users NOT on the PM network but when we try to MMS to each other (both on PM) it fails.  I thought I saw there were deals on phones for people to upgrade but I can't find that now.

Salvo1
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

The ( bearer )  Part is empty you don't put anything in it  

That's good it's working  !!

ksesame

Thanks for checking in again and letting everyone know about the edit. I've changed all my former settings (Telus) to the ones you passed on from PM tech, except the bearer setting, and all seems to be working great. 

IzzM

Hi ksesame,

1. Shoot, yes that is a typo. I go will edit my post.

2. No they didn't say anything about the 'bearer' setting. I just left that as is in the default Telus APN

Salvo1
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Oh I'm sorry to hear about that 😞 

vvneng

None of that works for me. Customer service has kindly informed me that MMS on OnePlus 11 is no longer supported.

Need Help? Let's chat.