cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Province-Wide Calling Plans + Limited-Time Offer on Canada-Wide Calling Plans

Catherine_T
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

[Edited: Feb 16, 3:45PM EST]

Hey Community, 

Public Mobile is introducing some changes to our suite of rate plans. Effective February 16, 2021, we will offer two types of plans: plans that include Province-wide minutes, and plans that include unlimited Canada-wide minutes. The Canada-wide calling plans will be priced at an additional $5/month, compared to the Province-wide calling plans.  All of our plans will continue to offer Canada-wide data and unlimited international texting.

We never take the decision of changing our plans lightly.  That's why, for a limited time, we’re offering our Canada-wide plans at a $5 discount. That means customers who value Canada-wide calling can still access these plans at the original prices before they change. 

The introduction of a Province-wide calling plan comes as a result of our commitment to give you more options on features and provide savings to help you create and customize the plan that’s right for you.  If you don't value Canada-wide calling, you can still access our plans starting at $15 per month.  If you value Canada-wide calling, it will continue to be available for an additional $5 per month. 

See below for more details on our new plans: 

New province-wide calling plans: 

Province-Wide Calling

Monthly Rate

Province-wide Minutes

Data (*with 500MB Autopay)

$15

100 Minutes

250MB

$25

Unlimited

1GB*

$35

Unlimited

2.5GB*

$40

Unlimited

5GB*

$45

Unlimited

6.5GB*

$50

Unlimited

8.5GB

For more information on how province-wide calling works, check out this Help Article.

Concurrent with this launch, we are offering $5 off all Canada-wide rate plans for a limited time. 

Canada-wide calling plans:

*Current promotion: $5 off Canada-wide plans for a limited time

Canada-wide Calling

Monthly Rate

(*Promotion price)

Canada-wide Minutes

$30 $25*

Unlimited

1GB*

$40 $35*

Unlimited

2.5GB*

$45 $40*

Unlimited

5GB*

$50 $45*

Unlimited

6.5GB*

$55 $50*

Unlimited + U.S. Talk

8.5GB

How to change your plan: 

1. Log in on Self Serve
  2. Go to “Plan and Add-ons”
  3. Select “Change Plan”
  4. Select your preferred plan. You will have the option of changing your plan immediately or upon the next renewal date.

FAQ’s:

What happens to existing customers’ plans?

There is no impact to existing customers' plans. All customers’ plans will be grandfathered, including those who had scheduled rate plan changes before this update. Note, if you change your plan you may not be able to go back to your previous plan if it is no longer available on our website. 

What is happening to the $15 plan?

All plans in the Canada-wide suite have unlimited Canada-wide minutes. The $15 limited talk plan will remain in the Province-wide suite and will have 100 Province-wide minutes with 250MB of AutoPay data bonus.

Can I buy an add-on with Canada-wide calling?

Yes, we currently have a $5 for 500 Canada-wide minutes add-on available which you can purchase in Self-Serve.

How does Province-wide Calling work?

For more information on province-wideon how province-wide calling works, check out this Help Article

To learn more about Public Mobile plans, click here.

- The Public Mobile Team

641 REPLIES 641

@Nezgar wrote:

@Brent_liza1 wrote:

I’m not too happy with this but I’m guessing that robelus will all follow suit. It seems they all do the same thing and there is no competition on plans. It feels like a monopoly between all the carriers to keep all plans the same. Seems like they all get together and offer the same plans. 

This change is still pretty small peanuts compared to what I was given as a Rogers postpaid customer... Pay $5 more for canada-wide long distance, or if you choose to opt-out, they will charge you 55 cents per minute! And to make it worse they got rid of the "annoying" warning announcement to let you know when you're making a long distance call if you didn't prefix a 1, so you had no way of (conveniently) knowing if a call was long distance, unless you slogged through their website or their app to check if a particular destination was considered long distance or not....

This "terrible" change at Public Mobile means you will be paying ONE CENT per minute for long distance in Canada. Hardly worth arguing about....

Yup 1 cent....My old T**** prepaid loyalty was 10 cents a minute plus another 50 cents for LD = 60 cents a minute.  Shame on PM 😉

@Brent_liza1 wrote:

I’m not too happy with this but I’m guessing that robelus will all follow suit. It seems they all do the same thing and there is no competition on plans. It feels like a monopoly between all the carriers to keep all plans the same. Seems like they all get together and offer the same plans. 

This change is still pretty small peanuts compared to what I was given as a Rogers postpaid customer... Pay $5 more for canada-wide long distance, or if you choose to opt-out, they will charge you 55 cents per minute! And to make it worse they got rid of the "annoying" warning announcement to let you know when you're making a long distance call if you didn't prefix a 1, so you had no way of (conveniently) knowing if a call was long distance, unless you slogged through their website or their app to check if a particular destination was considered long distance or not....

This "terrible" change at Public Mobile means you will be paying ONE CENT per minute for long distance in Canada. Hardly worth arguing about....

Brent_liza1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@atmx093 wrote:

Wow, so practically all new clients in the Ottawa-Gatineau area (or any two cities that are very close but in different provinces) will be FORCED to pay an extra $5 a month just so they can call a city that is mere kilometers away instead of racking up a long  distance bill.

Yeah, it could also be entertaining for cities that literally straddle a provincial border... like Lloydminster, SK/AB..

So the basic premise still applies... if you will call out-of-province more than 500 minutes per month, pay the extra $5 for the Canada wide plan. If less, buy a 500 min Canada-wide add on at 1c that never expires. you're not "forced" to always pay an extra $5 every month because of this. Also, incoming calls are always included, so you have control of your outgoing calls, and can choose to use alternate means for an outgoing call (Home line, VoIP/TextNow etc)

atmx093
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Wow, so practically all new clients in the Ottawa-Gatineau area (or any two cities that are very close but in different provinces) will be FORCED to pay an extra $5 a month just so they can call a city that is mere kilometers away instead of racking up a long  distance bill. This is nonsense, it's a money grab touted as a sale. I really hate the big three, they have way too much power over an infrastructure that is critical and essential.

@Rhino2007 

Are you on one of the "old" province wide calling plans from a few years ago? If so, I believe at least one other person with one of those plans has reported they could not make local calls either since a week or so before these new plans were announced (about 2 weeks ago)

The workaround is to add a $5/500min Canada wide long distance add-on or switch to one of the current plans, but definitely rattle some chains by opening a ticket with the moderators!

Rhino2007

We cannot even call out within our Province

Rhino2007

All of a sudden we cannot call anyone. Not even in our province

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@softech I also really hope it flops... Bad business move altogether

@LitlLdy 

Since you locked in your plan change to the $25 plan before the increase, you will be grandfathered-in, and your plan will not increase to $30 for as long as you don't change the plan again...

@Pawprints1986  yes, seems like koodo and PM are the leaders in changing from National Calling to Provincial Calling 😞  , let's see if they will be setting the standard for others to follow.   Of course, I hope it's a fail attempt and they will change back.

I think Chartr always has that reduced speed data, sadly, PM never follow  😞

Pawprints1986

I did a bit more digging as I was just curious. This is chatr 25 plan as of now. Lucky mobile similar as well. I suppose things could still change though

Screenshot_2021-02-22-07-37-51.png

Very intriguing they allow data to be used even after your main plan data without needing an add-on. Very slow speeds, but no increased nickel and diming you for it

Still marketed as Canada wide/international text

I'm really trying to find out PM endgame with this honestly, especially if others do not follow suit

I'm grateful I'm on the already grandfathered 30$ 2gb Canada wide plan... But i do like to keep my options open should my needs change. But with this coming I got curious and dug a little deeper anyway...  

@esjliv wrote:

@LitlLdy wrote:

@esjliv wrote:

@LitlLdy wrote:

@esjliv wrote:

@LitlLdy 

I do not see that the price increase took effect yet. Where are you seeing you will be charged $30 for the 1GB plan?

I would submit a ticket to the Moderators with a screen shot of the plans in you SELF SERVE and tell them which plan you see and wanted changed to on March 2nd.

This post says I will be charged $30 for the $25 Unlimited Canada-wide minutes, Int’l Text & Picture Messaging!

Hi @LitlLdy - the $25 is still in effect, for the time being, at least according to my SELF SERVE account. 

What does it say in you SELF SERVE.

What is payment for your next cycle:

esjliv_0-1613993162267.png

OR say this:

esjliv_1-1613993179736.png

Do you see either of the above on your account?

It says “Your base Plan will switch to 30-day plan ( $25 ) on Mar 2, 2021” but that doesn’t tell me if or when it will switch to charging me $30 plus tax for the plan! Apparently I’m slow on understanding the post!

@LitlLdy - prices are going to increase, BUT, for a limited time the $25 plan is still available. So as long as you have the plan scheduled to change before your renewal date, which it sounds like you do, you will be considered "grandfathered-in".

You plan amount will not increase, once the price increases takes effect.

Did you chose the $25 Nationwide/Canada calling? 2nd one below:

esjliv_0-1613994469003.png

Yes, I chose the second one (in my post). I guess I misunderstood. I thought this post meant for a short time I will pay $25 plus tax for it then price will go up to $30 plus tax. I’m sorry for the misunderstanding. Every cent matters. 

@LitlLdy wrote:

@esjliv wrote:

@LitlLdy wrote:

@esjliv wrote:

@LitlLdy 

I do not see that the price increase took effect yet. Where are you seeing you will be charged $30 for the 1GB plan?

I would submit a ticket to the Moderators with a screen shot of the plans in you SELF SERVE and tell them which plan you see and wanted changed to on March 2nd.

This post says I will be charged $30 for the $25 Unlimited Canada-wide minutes, Int’l Text & Picture Messaging!

Hi @LitlLdy - the $25 is still in effect, for the time being, at least according to my SELF SERVE account. 

OR say this:

It says “Your base Plan will switch to 30-day plan ( $25 ) on Mar 2, 2021” but that doesn’t tell me if or when it will switch to charging me $30 plus tax for the plan! Apparently I’m slow on understanding the post!

@LitlLdy - prices are going to increase, BUT, for a limited time the $25 plan is still available. So as long as you have the plan scheduled to change before your renewal date, which it sounds like you do, you will be considered "grandfathered-in".

You plan amount will not increase, once the price increases takes effect.

Did you chose the $25 Nationwide/Canada calling? 2nd one below:

esjliv_0-1613994469003.png

@esjliv wrote:

@LitlLdy wrote:

@esjliv wrote:

@LitlLdy 

OR say this:

@LitlLdy wrote:

@esjliv wrote:

@LitlLdy 

OR say this:

@esjliv wrote:

@LitlLdy 

@LitlLdy 

LitlLdy
Mayor / Maire

@Catherine_T wrote:

[Edited: Feb 16, 3:45PM EST]

Hey Community, 

Public Mobile is introducing some changes to our suite of rate plans. Effective February 16, 2021, we will offer two types of plans: plans that include Province-wide minutes, and plans that include unlimited Canada-wide minutes. The Canada-wide calling plans will be priced at an additional $5/month, compared to the Province-wide calling plans.  All of our plans will continue to offer Canada-wide data and unlimited international texting.

We never take the decision of changing our plans lightly.  That's why, for a limited time, we’re offering our Canada-wide plans at a $5 discount. That means customers who value Canada-wide calling can still access these plans at the original prices before they change. 

The introduction of a Province-wide calling plan comes as a result of our commitment to give you more options on features and provide savings to help you create and customize the plan that’s right for you.  If you don't value Canada-wide calling, you can still access our plans starting at $15 per month.  If you value Canada-wide calling, it will continue to be available for an additional $5 per month. 

See below for more details on our new plans: 

New province-wide calling plans: 

Province-Wide Calling

Monthly Rate

Province-wide Minutes

$15

100 Minutes

250MB

$25

Unlimited

1GB*

$35

Unlimited

2.5GB*

$40

Unlimited

5GB*

$45

Unlimited

6.5GB*

$50

Unlimited

8.5GB

For more information on how province-wide calling works, check out this Help Article.

Concurrent with this launch, we are offering $5 off all Canada-wide rate plans for a limited time. 

Canada-wide calling plans:

*Current promotion: $5 off Canada-wide plans for a limited time

Canada-wide Calling

Monthly Rate

(*Promotion price)

Canada-wide Minutes

$30 $25*

Unlimited

1GB*

$40 $35*

Unlimited

2.5GB*

$45 $40*

Unlimited

5GB*

$50 $45*

Unlimited

6.5GB*

$55 $50*

Unlimited + U.S. Talk

8.5GB

How to change your plan: 

1. Log in on Self Serve
  2. Go to “Plan and Add-ons”
  3. Select “Change Plan”
  4. Select your preferred plan. You will have the option of changing your plan immediately or upon the next renewal date.

FAQ’s:

What happens to existing customers’ plans?

There is no impact to existing customers' plans. All customers’ plans will be grandfathered, including those who had scheduled rate plan changes before this update. Note, if you change your plan you may not be able to go back to your previous plan if it is no longer available on our website. 

What is happening to the $15 plan?

All plans in the Canada-wide suite have unlimited Canada-wide minutes. The $15 limited talk plan will remain in the Province-wide suite and will have 100 Province-wide minutes with 250MB of AutoPay data bonus.

Can I buy an add-on with Canada-wide calling?

Yes, we currently have a $5 for 500 Canada-wide minutes add-on available which you can purchase in Self-Serve.

How does Province-wide Calling work?

For more information on province-wideon how province-wide calling works, check out this Help Article

To learn more about Public Mobile plans, click here.

- The Public Mobile Team

Well, it looks like I messed up! I went in my account last week to change my plan from the $15 100 Minutes Canada-Wide Talk + Unlimited Incoming Minutes, Int’l Text & Picture Messaging, 250 MB to the $25 Unlimited Canada-wide minutes, Int’l Text & Picture Messaging, 250 MB plan set to change on renewal date March 2nd and now from reading this today I will be charged $30 (plus taxes as expected) instead due to price increases!

Canada-wide Text was an option years ago, some legacy plans might still have it.

Otherwise, I agree with @computergeek541 - basic Text service seems unlikely to be limited or downgraded. It's already built into the network machinery, it's very low bandwidth, it's cheap and standardized and easy to log and monitor and review. If people don't have access to Text then they'll use other (competing) communication channels which Telus can't generate profits from.

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2016/08/12/text-messages-arent-private-judge-rules/

@AE_Collector wrote:

I have seen mention of the Canada Wide Texting in this topic several times now. Is this associated with PM at all? Will the PM Provincial Calling plans have Canada Wide texting only or is it just speculation at this moment since Koodo is doing it?

It's speculation. There has been no indication given by Public Mobile about any moved to Canada-wide only texting.

I have seen mention of the Canada Wide Texting in this topic several times now. Is this associated with PM at all? Will the PM Provincial Calling plans have Canada Wide texting only or is it just speculation at this moment since Koodo is doing it?

AE_Collector

XionBunny

Guess this will be the first time in a long time I'll no longer hop around in the market for my needs, I'm not happy about that in general, I'm soft locked on my plan here now cause I can't afford to get gouged any more.

@Nezgar 

Beginning February 23, Koodo is making changes to its rate plan pricing to provide customers more choice, flexibility, and opportunities to save.  For example, new customers choosing a Tab rate plan will get 3GB of data, unlimited Province-wide calling and Canada-wide text starting at $50/month. Customers who bring their own device can save $5 off Tab rate plans, such as 3GB of data for $45/month, which includes unlimited Province-wide calling and Canada-wide text.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2021/02/18/koodo-plan-changes-province-wide-calling-separate-pricing-byod-ta...

@Pawprints1986 

Where did you see a note about changes coming to texting?

@FrostyButters unless you are on a regular plan, not a promo. the plan will be grandfathered. if you're on a promo a yearly $5 increase will take effect. not sure about Shaw or freedom, but this is how it's done with the big 3. this is why I moved to PM from virgin. the advantage of postpaid is you have access to these promo's(not all the time) if you're not on contract.

@Pawprints1986 there was a lot of Koodo Telus activations during the holidays. this could be a way of directing customers to Koodo prepaid rather than leaving to go to public. 

we had an average of $12 discount vs Koodo plans. now it's around $7. 

if bell and Rogers don't follow they will most likely have the Canada wide options with the $5 increase

@XionBunny wrote:

Isn't it funny that the chose the exact cost of the loyalty discount here, it's hilarious just how shady that is, I get the feeling they'll eliminate that all together next rather then the soft termination they've done thus far.

Who is actually going to stay if they get rid of or significantly change the rewards? This is one of the few reason that customers remain at Public Mobile. I don't see there any reason for Public Mobile to remain if they ever do that, but to be fair, nothing has been announced along those lines.

XionBunny

Isn't it funny that the chose the exact cost of the loyalty discount here, it's hilarious just how shady that is, I get the feeling they'll eliminate that all together next rather then the soft termination they've done thus far.

@Pawprints1986 wrote:

Interesting note about the changes coming to texting too. It costs nothing to provide, why are they messing with texting?

When the new prices come into effect, as listed above the 25 koodo prepaid will be of more value than the 25 post paid

I get no one is traveling right now, but when thinking about the long term, *why* are they doing this ? They're reverting back to the early 2000s almost regarding what is covered by default

Telus must have done some research that tells them this will be more profitiable for them. It's certainly not for the sake of providing customers with more options, not when there is no discount to the new province-wide plans, but rather there's a coming price increase to Canada-wide calling plans.  In some ways, Telus could have offered the proinvice-wide calling plans at a lower price to begin with and slow raised the prices a couple of years later. While some would have caught on this, there certaintly wouldn't be this almsot universal negativity from customers over all this. Public Mobile/Telus must have already known what customers were going to say about these price increases,  so the only way they're going to go back on this will be if the competitors don't copy.

Pawprints1986

Interesting note about the changes coming to texting too. It costs nothing to provide, why are they messing with texting?

When the new prices come into effect, as listed above the 25 koodo prepaid will be of more value than the 25 post paid

I get no one is traveling right now, but when thinking about the long term, *why* are they doing this ? They're reverting back to the early 2000s almost regarding what is covered by default

Need Help? Let's chat.