cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get $20 for Free When You Sign Up for KOHO with the Code PUBLICMOBILE

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

*This offer will expire on February 14th, 2019.

KOHO-img.png

The holiday season is a lot of great things, but cheap isn’t one of them! That’s why Public Mobile has partnered with KOHO to help you accelerate your savings and earn a little free money too.

KOHO is a financial tech company whose mission it is to make finances simple and transparent. They offer a slick reloadable Visa card and an integrated app. Get real-time insights into your money, automate your savings goals, and earn instant cash-back on all your purchases. KOHO is also free, because paying bank fees is so 2018.

Download the app now to get $20 when you join KOHO with the promo code PUBLICMOBILE.

The Public Mobile promotional code is available to the first 1000 customers.
Offer only available for Public Mobile customers.

Let’s break it down, step-by-step:

1. Download the KOHO app and sign up with the promo code PUBLICMOBILE

2. Add funds to your KOHO account and make your first purchase

3. You don’t have to wait for your physical card to arrive. Shop online instantly by creating a virtual card in the app!

4. Once you make your first purchase, $20 will instantly be added to your KOHO account

KOHO is backed by some of Canada’s leading investors, and your funds are held securely by Peoples Trust.
57 REPLIES 57

kevinqqh
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks

@WoodpeckerBaby wrote:

A fresh code I found gave me $20 when I signed up! 

Joins community 1 second later tries to make money. Nice. Sounds like solicitation spam.

@computergeek541😉

WoodpeckerBaby
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

(removed by computergeek541 - community terms of service regarding posting public messages for financial gain)

eleventeen

Amazing card. So many useful features and zero fees.
My referral code has lots of uses left if you want $60 free :
(Remember to make a direct deposit of at least $200 to get the full bonus. You'll get $20 auto, then $40 for the deposit)

edited by computergeek541 (attempt to solicit for financial gain)

Asima

I missed that. Hope to see some better offer again.

bridonca
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@tashtallen23 wrote:

Im confused. Is this like a credit  card or a card we can only use online.

@tashtallen23 wrote:

So ia this like a pre paid visa, we load it and  use it as we please? Im so confused with public mobile

KOHO is a physical prepaid VISA card that can be used like any other VISA card.  KOHO also has a feature where you can set up another virtual VISA card for online purchases to vendors you do not fully trust.  You can delete the KOHO VISA virtual card easily and set up a new one as needed.

Once you get a Koho VISA card, you can add funds to the account by various means, Interac e-Transfer from your bank being the easiest and cheapest way of doing so.

Public Mobile is involved as a cross promotion tool.  You already get a $2 monthly discount if you link your credit card to Public Mobile, and this KOHO card can serve as a decent way to get that to happen, especally for people that can not or do not want to use a credit card.

I have not found any real downside to the KOHO card.  Your credit rating is not affected, positive or negative.  There is an inactiving fee after a year, but that should not be a problem if you use this card from time to time.  You do need to submit some personal information, but that is a requirement by law.

Tav

@tashtallen23 wrote:

So is  this like a pre paid visa, we load it and  use it as we please? Im so confused with public mobile

Public Mobile and KOHO have partnered for a promo. I don't believe they are affliated with one another. More info on KOHO can be found on their website. But I think you are correct that they are just sort of a prepaid visa with some saving options and an app.

tashtallen23

So is  this like a pre paid visa, we load it and  use it as we please? Im so confused with public mobile

tashtallen23

So ia this like a pre paid visa, we load it and  use it as we please? Im so confused with public mobile

tashtallen23

Im confused. Is this like a credit  card or a card we can only use online.

Pound
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Sounds like a good deal. Gonna give it a try.

tajachaschowy69

Jessica_T
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@tajachaschowy69 wrote:

@tajachaschowy69 wrote:

What is rocko

@tajachaschowy69

What is rocko? Rocko is many things. Depends on the context but to me .... "Rocko is the eponymous fictional character of the cartoon Rocko's Modern Life and the comic book series of the same name. Rocko was born in Australia and emigrated to America in High School. He was pitched to Nickelodeon executives as having the personality of a young wallaby Woody Allen. Carlos Alazraqui provided the voice of Rocko in the television series."'

Rocko_(Rocko's_Modern_Life).png

tajachaschowy69

@tajachaschowy69 wrote:

What is rocko

Jessica_T

@Anonymous wrote:

@Jessica_T wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Jessica_T wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Jessica_T

Well...the card I have and others I've seen seem to have a year thing where if you still have a balance then they'll burn it down for you by taking a small amount each month.

So I'll just have to spend the balance myself before then and go get another one.

@AnonymousExactly, Dormancy fee is legal and done by most prepaid cards. However one of the first things you see when you visit KOHO.CA is them advertising "NO fees." No fees period. But dormancy fees are still fees. I call treachery.

If it said "No Fees*" it would be different and I would not mention this.

You're just full o' fightin' words on this thing aren'tcha. 🙂

@AnonymousI have an issue with it. Which one is it? Fees or No fees?

I think it's great that you're bringing this to everyones attention. Fees and privacy. Not good.

Of course who knows who is selling what information to who...even this place.

@Anonymous

Public mobile promises the safety of your information, whether or not they keep that is another story, but at least they say they do.

All information that Public Mobile keeps with respect to you and your service, other than your name and address, is confidential. Unless you provide your express consent or unless disclosure is required under the law, your information may not be disclosed by Public Mobile to anyone, other than:
•You or a person who, in the reasonable judgement of Public Mobile, is seeking the information as your agent;
•Another telecommunications company, but only if the information is used to establish or to efficiently providetelecommunications service, if the disclosure is made on a confidential basis, and if the information is usedsolely for that purpose;

Koho admits to selling your information for profit and blatantly lies about the first thing they promise. I will put my trust in Public Mobile, not Koho.

@Jessica_T wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Jessica_T wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Jessica_T

Well...the card I have and others I've seen seem to have a year thing where if you still have a balance then they'll burn it down for you by taking a small amount each month.

So I'll just have to spend the balance myself before then and go get another one.

@AnonymousExactly, Dormancy fee is legal and done by most prepaid cards. However one of the first things you see when you visit KOHO.CA is them advertising "NO fees." No fees period. But dormancy fees are still fees. I call treachery.

koho.png

LOL, no fees, my behind!

That one screenshot may have just defeated the purpose of KOHO marketing campaign, but you know what?  it's KOHO's own fault.  Sure, they may have gained some new customers with this cross-brand promotion, but how many potential customers did they just lose over the "no fees"?

Not long ago, cell phone carriers in Canada tried to proudly proclaim "no contracts".  But even they were smart enough to call whatever they had something other than a "contarct".  KOHO said "no fees", but then lists "fees" on the website.  Celluar carriers here tried to label their contracts as "agreements" or "tabs".  I do not know how any of the cell phone companies got away with ever advertising "no contracts" when by legal definition, every purchase of a good or service constitutes a contract.  But I think most of us will agree that from the average consumer point of view, cell phone carriers in this country don't have great reputations.

Jessica_T

@Anonymous wrote:

@Jessica_T wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Jessica_T wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Jessica_T

I think it's great that you're bringing this to everyones attention. Fees and privacy. Not good.

@AnonymousPublic mobile promises the safety of your information, whether or not they keep that is another story, but at least they say they do.

All information that Public Mobile keeps with respect to you and your service, other than your name and address, is confidential. Unless you provide your express consent or unless disclosure is required under the law, your information may not be disclosed by Public Mobile to anyone, other than:
•You or a person who, in the reasonable judgement of Public Mobile, is seeking the information as your agent;
•Another telecommunications company, but only if the information is used to establish or to efficiently providetelecommunications service, if the disclosure is made on a confidential basis, and if the information is usedsolely for that purpose;

Koho admits to selling your information for profit and blatantly lies about the first thing they promise. I will put my trust in Public Mobile, not Koho.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jessica_T wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Jessica_T wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Jessica_T

Jessica_T

@Anonymous wrote:

@Jessica_T wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Jessica_T

koho.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jessica_T wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Jessica_T

Jessica_T

@Anonymous wrote:

@Jessica_T

large.pngfees.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jessica_T

Jessica_T

Exactly. This was my point. None of the pre-paid cards advertise security so don't say KOHO is safe. The only advantage of KOHO is a $20 bonus sign up but at a cost of the private details we call secure. Posts get edited here if they contain an account number, a phone number, even your full name. KOHO sells every detail you give them. Why go with KOHO where you are required to give out enough details for identity theft when they sell them to the highest 3rd party bidder when you can walk to the store, buy a pre-paid card, stay anonymous, secure and have no future hidden $1 monthly fees.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm using a prepaid, non-refillable, Visa gift card I bought at a Home Depot of all places. Peoples Trust backed whoever they are. No CDIC. Don't care. It works to satisfy the autopay.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Jessica_T wrote:

@mir88Connected to "peoples trust" does not make them safe. Having them as part of the CDIC Canada Deposit Insurance does. KOHO is not part of the CDIC nor do they insure your deposit. Your money is all gone? Too bad, but hey they warned you which you agreed in the cardholder agreement. You take all the risk and they get all the reward.

@Jessica_T in fairness, you're looking at a prepaid VISA product.  Can you tell me that any of the CDIC-insured FI's in Canada offer prepaid VISA products which are protected by CDIC insurance?  I'm not an expert, but I believe only demand accounts (chequing, savings) are CDIC-insured at any financial institution in Canada. 

EDIT: just had a look at the CDIC site.  From : http://www.cdic.ca/en/about-di/what-we-cover/Pages/default.aspx

"We insure eligible deposits at each member institution up to a maximum of $100,000 (principal and interest combined) per depositor per insured category.".  They go on to list things covered and not covered, but I don't see pre-paid credit cards in either category.  That said, I'm 99% sure they are not CDIC-insurable deposits.

EDIT #2: to be clear, I'm not saying these products are good or bad, and that they do or don't have other issues you've mentioned; I merely wanted to call out the fact that mentioning these particular pre-paid credit products from KOHO aren't CDIC-insured is not a unique issue, I beleive it to be true for all Canadian pre-paid credit card products, regardless of whether the issuer is a CDIC-insured FI.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Noosiekins

@Jessica_T wrote:

Not only do they sell all of your personal information to advertisers but if you don't use the account they start tacking on a monthly fee. They will get their money from you one way or another if you sign up to them.

This makes so much sense now! I've started mysteriously getting Sugarfina and Frank & Oak's e-mails and I'm like WHO the HELL signed me up.... I have never shopped at both retailers. Now it makes sense! 

arlolior

@Jessica_T wrote:

Not only do they sell all of your personal information to advertisers but if you don't use the account they start tacking on a monthly fee.

Not disagreeing with anyhting else that yo've written, I just want to point out that in your own post you quoted their cardholder agreement which states they start charging you after month 13 of inactivity on the card, and the charge is $1.00. I'll gladly pay $1.00 every year for this. It's not hard to make a purchase with the card especially since there's a virtual one as well.

I've used Koho since they first started out and every time I've had problems with them they have been nothing but courteous and helpful. I've also had unauthorized charges on the card, successfully disputed them and had my funds returned.

Maybe it's not your cup of tea, fine, but don't knock the company, for some people, especially young folk who don't have credit or have less than poor credit, it's a great alternative to having a credit card.

Jessica_T

@mir88 wrote:hey are connected to the people’s trust company. It’s very safe

@mir88Connected to "peoples trust" does not make them safe. Having them as part of the CDIC Canada Deposit Insurance does. KOHO is not part of the CDIC nor do they insure your deposit. Your money is all gone? Too bad, but hey they warned you which you agreed in the cardholder agreement. You take all the risk and they get all the reward.

Not only do they sell all of your personal information to advertisers but if you don't use the account they start tacking on a monthly fee. They will get their money from you one way or another if you sign up to them.

My number 1 rule for putting money anywhere is insurance or at least a calculated risk. Risk vs reward. Such as stocks, bonds, futures and even gambling in the hopes of having your money go up just as much as it can go down. Do they even pay interest? No they don't do you want to know why? Because koho gives out your money to other people while its sitting there and 3rd parties manage your money to generate income of their own. Don't beleive me? Do your own research.

https://www.koho.ca/cardholder-agreement/

"Funds loaded onto the Card are not insured by the Canada Deposit Insurance Corporation (CDIC)."

dumbdobie1
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I love all these great deals from Public Mobile. Please keep up the good work 🙂

mir88

Hey, 

I have KOHO and they are connected to the people’s trust company. It’s very safe and to cancel you would just reach out to them but it’s prepaid so you just load money on it  and if you don’t that’s ok too. Doesn’t affect your credit 

Need Help? Let's chat.