Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extended: We’ve Expanded Our Offerings: Introducing 3G Speed + BONUS Data

Jeremy_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey Community!

We’re happy to announce that we’ve added 3G data options to our offerings in order to give you more choice. Our vision has always been to do wireless differently and that translates into our commitment to always offer you the most choice and flexibility in your plans.

You’ll now be able to build plans with either 3G or 4G LTE data speeds on Canada’s largest mobile network.

Along with launching new 3G data options, we're offering you bonus 3G data for a limited time when you activate on a 90-day plan. During this promotional period, we're featuring three amazing plans:

Length

Talk

Text

Data at 3G Speed**

Price

90-Day Plan

Unlimited Province-Wide Talk

Unlimited Global Text

12GB + 6GB Bonus Data

= 6GB / 30 days

$150

= $50 / 30 days*

90-Day Plan

Unlimited Global Text

6GB + 6GB Bonus Data

= 4GB / 30 days

$129

= $43 / 30 days*

90-Day Plan

Unlimited Global Text

3GB + 3GB Bonus Data

= 2GB / 30 days

$120

= $40 / 30 days*

*Prices include $2 Reward per 30 days when you register with AutoPay on a 90-day plan.

There are plenty more plan options to explore, so feel free to play around with the new calculator to find a combination that’s right for you!

Interested? Here’s how to score one of these deals.

First, you’ll need a SIM card. You can order one here or visit a participating Walmart or WOW! mobile boutique to purchase. Once you have your SIM card in hand, follow these easy steps:

1.    Activate your SIM card here.
  2.    After you’ve entered your information and selected a phone number or ported over your number from another provider, you’ll be prompted to choose a plan. Select the following combination to score one of our limited time offers:
  •     90-day pass
  •     Unlimited Province-Wide Talk
  •     Unlimited Global Text
  •     Your desired data allotment:

3 + 3GB BONUS at 3G Speed /90 days = 2GB / 30 days

6 + 6GB BONUS at 3G Speed /90 days = 4GB / 30 days

12 + 6GB BONUS at 3G Speed /90 days = 6GB / 30 days

1.    Select your payment method (don’t forget to sign up for AutoPay to receive the $2 Reward / 30 days) and finalize the rest of the activation process.

Things to know

•     This promotional bonus data offer is only for a limited time.
  •     Once an end date is communicated, it is the last day you can activate on our promotional plans. The promotion will not be honoured after the communicated end date for any SIM cards that have not been activated by the deadline. This includes SIM cards that have been purchased online and have not yet arrived or been activated.

What’s the difference between 3G and 4G LTE?** Good question.

3G is a great option if you mostly use data to check Facebook, respond to emails or browse the web, but you may experience a slight reduction in picture quality and some buffering when viewing videos. 4G LTE is our fastest data option. If you’re looking to do all the above, plus stream HD videos and consume dynamic content, like Snapchat or Instagram stories, without compromising on image quality or a seamless video experience, 4G LTE is our recommended data speed for you!

Check out this video below to better visualize the difference:

**Plans with 4G LTE data can access maximum LTE download speeds (manufacturer rated at up to 750 Mbps; expected average speeds 12-200 Mbps). Plans with 3G data may reach download speeds of up to 3 Mbps, with the coverage and reliability of the LTE network. Speed and signal strength may vary with your device, configuration, Internet traffic, environmental conditions, applicable network management and other factors. For a description of Public Mobile’s network management practices, please see https://www.publicmobile.ca/pdfs/Wireless_Video_Experience_Optimization.pdf. Compatible device required.

Are you a current Public Mobile customer?

If you’re already a customer (joined prior to the 3G launch), this change will not affect your current plan. Looking to change your current plan? No problem - use the Self Serve portal to make plan changes for your next renewal date, but keep in mind: once changes have been made, you will not be able to switch back to your current plan at a later date if it’s no longer available. View our Service Terms for more details.

You’ll also notice that we have removed and grandfathered the 10-day plan. We did this in order to refocus our resources and stay focused on what our customers want.

Public Mobile Community Team

646 REPLIES 646

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
Just want to add that you can walk into Walmart and get a sim, no need to wait a week as mentioned above.

To be fair 90days can be good or bad. You have to pay 90 days in advance to get a better price :(, but data carries over, but can also all be used up in the first few weeks, as my girlfriends daughter proved lol. Plus not everyone has that kind of money. Rogers offers a prepaid plan that you pay yearly, I'd love to see PM do something like that.

@mech9t5 every Chatr plan is zoned and data zones are significantly smaller than voice zones (and this is after Chatr basically doubled data zones just a few months ago; Feb?)

Michael77
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire
Hi,

I guess we can conclude by saying that everybody has their own needs and wants and not everyone is going to agree.

I hope everyone enjoys the beautiful weather! Finally no rain! 🙂

mech9t5
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@kav2001c no need to get excited.

I'm posting an unbiased comparison between the 2 in a way that is the most comparable.  That's the only way to actually compare prices.

Not even sure why you are arguing about zones now since the plans I've compared in your quote are not zoned.

Anyway, I'm not continuing as you are clearly biased and incapable of looking at this from an objective point of view.

@kav2001c wrote:

@mech9t5 that's not even close to equal

You compare a plan with 100 txt vs a plan with unlimited?

You *do* realize Chatr BILLS YOU EXTRA when you go over your txt right?

Public being true prepay NEVER takes funds from your account

Chatr empties your wallet

Oh and also, in addition to enhanced voice mail, Public also includes MMS

Try and send a picture or video on Chatr network they ding you for $0.50 per message!

You had same complaint as someone else in my plan thread; really you guys are beefing about the 90 day cycles on Public 

The 90 day cycle is FAR superior and you seem to have missed the most OBVIOUS reason why; data carries over

No other carrier in Canada (except Bell on grandfather plans) has roll over data

I would also argue zones are a death sentence for any carrier (witness Freedom who predicted they could get over 3 million clients in 2 years from launch. 10 years later even with cheaper plans and no overages they are still waiting.

Chatr has basically no subscribers (250K) and I am quite surprised that brand has not gone the way of Solo

@mech9t5 wrote:

If you want to talk chatr no zones, I believe they offer some unzoned plans $25, $35, $45 talk and text plans with optional data.

Chatr $25 province wide with 100txt, $25 option for 2gb data = $50 

PM would be $50 for the same on 30 day plan but with unlimited text

Chatr $35 canadawide/unl text, $25 option for 2gb data = $60

PM would be $55 for the same on 30 day plan

Chatr $25 province wide with 100txt, $15 option for 1gb data = $40 

PM would be $45 for the same on 30 day plan but with unlimited text

Chatr $35 canadawide/unl text, $15 option for 1gb data = $50

PM would be $50 for the same on 30 day plan

So it is not obvious who is better comparing in zone.  It depends on what you need.

@kav2001c wrote:

Try and send a picture or video on Chatr network they ding you for $0.50 per message!

You had same complaint as someone else in my plan thread; really you guys are beefing about the 90 day cycles on Public 

The 90 day cycle is FAR superior and you seem to have missed the most OBVIOUS reason why; data carries over

No other carrier in Canada (except Bell on grandfather plans) has roll over data

I would also argue zones are a death sentence for any carrier (witness Freedom who predicted they could get over 3 million clients in 2 years from launch. 10 years later even with cheaper plans and no overages they are still waiting.

Chatr has basically no subscribers (250K) and I am quite surprised that brand has not gone the way of Solo

@kav2001c

Thanks for this summary (and adding at least one thing I didn't consider...).

@mech9t5

I'm not sure why you've become so defensive. All I try to say is that your comparison, while it might be true for a majority of PM users, isn't completely accurate / apple-to-apple for all of us.

I have clearly stated that for my specific needs (I put in bold this time, it's in italic already in the post you quoted) PM is still the better value*. That doesn't take anything away from "the relevance of your post". You are as entitled to your opinion as I am to mine.

Have a great afternoon!

* I'm also fond of crunching my numbers: I save about 25% or $150/year by having PM as my cell phone provider with the ability to really build the plan meeting my needs vs going with a ChatR plan. This is calculated on today's (July 25 /2017) pricing information from both providers, without any PM rewards or promo prices.

As mentioned before this tailored to my very specific circumstances and I totally acknowledge that what works for me not the magic bullet for everyone.

@mech9t5 wrote:

If you want to talk chatr no zones, I believe they offer some unzoned plans $25, $35, $45 talk and text plans with optional data.

So it is not obvious who is better comparing in zone.  It depends on what you need.

mech9t5

@wetcoaster wrote:

@mech9t5 wrote:

How can you say public plans are cheaper or better value?  None of them are cheaper.  And the only value they bring is unzoned. 

@mech9t5

Your comparison is ChatR in-zone pricing (only that qualifies for autopay rebate) vs PM with the geographically unrestricted network. From the comparisons I have done for my specific needs (I'm nowhere near a ChatR zone) PM is still better value than ChatR.

mech9t5

@wetcoaster wrote:

@mech9t5 wrote:

How can you say public plans are cheaper or better value?  None of them are cheaper.  And the only value they bring is unzoned. 

@mech9t5

Your comparison is ChatR in-zone pricing (only that qualifies for autopay rebate) vs PM with the geographically unrestricted network. From the comparisons I have done for my specific needs (I'm nowhere near a ChatR zone) PM is still better value than ChatR.

Yes, I know.  That's why I mentioned that public mobile is unzoned 5 times in the post you quoted. Noting that that is the only real benefit public offers.  

Having said that, most people ARE in Chatr zones so the post is obviously still relevant.  

mech9t5 wrote:

@mech9t5

mech9t5

@kav2001c

#1 - Chatr requries credit card?  But so does public mobile to get the same price as chatr.  Otherwise public mobile is more money for less features.

#2 - I have never had a response in 30 mins from public mobile reps on the forums so even with 30 min wait times, still better than public mobile.

#3 - If an extra 0.5mbps is irrelevant so is enhanced vm vs basic voicemail

#4 - Data zones are clearly identified on the map.  They are not "VERY small", they encompass all the big cities in canada and many of the surrounding cities.  Regardless, I've already stated the zones as being the 1 benefit public mobile has.

#5 - Try getting a sim from public mobile.  Could take a week.

#6 - No you can't.  Public mobile is more expensive across the board. 

#7 - What is the problem with credit card payments every month?  That is preferred over paying 90 days up front for the same thing.  It allows you to cancel and only lose a maximum of 30 days. For public mobile, you could lose 90 days worth.

You also linked to your thread comparing public plans to chatr:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/New-Plans-Explained/m-p/171517

The compairson is completely misleading.  You are not comparing apples to apples.  

Here is the real comparison.

Chatr $40, 2gb with autopay, Canada Wide (prepay for 30 days)

PM $45, 2gb with autopay, Canada Wide (prepay for 90 days)

PM is $5 more where the only real benefit is unzoned

Or if we do 30 days instead of 90 days

PM $55, 2gb with autopay, Canada Wide (prepay for 30 days)

PM is $15 more 

Chatr $45, 4gb with autopay, Canada Wide (prepay for 30 days)

PM $50, 3gb with autopay, Canada Wide (prepay for 90 days)

PM is $5 more for 1gb less data where the only real benefit is unzoned

PM $60, 4gb with autopay, Canada Wide (prepay for 30 days)

PM is $15 more 

Chatr $50, 6gb with autopay, Canada/US Wide (prepay for 30 days)

PM $60, 6gb with autopay, Canada/US Wide (prepay for 90 days)

PM is $10 more where the only real benefit is unzoned

PM $65, 4gb with autopay, Canada/US Wide (prepay for 30 days)

PM is $15 more for 2 gb less data

@kav2001c wrote:

@mech9t5 most of the Public plans are cheaper or better value than equivalent Chatr plans

Here is comparisons:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/New-Plans-Explained/m-p/171517

@kav2001c wrote:

@mech9t5

#1 - Same price, more features #more4less

Chatr REQUIRES a credit card on file to get bonus data; many subscribers do not use credit cards (even here look at all voucher questions) as low cost wireless attracts a different crowd

Chatr has basic voice mail, Public has enhanced

Chatr is crippled by zones, Public works everywhere cross Canada

Public has add-ons that do not expire & better roaming options

#2 - Just try calling Chatr

I have an account with them (grandfather Mobilicity plan which is way better than anything they offer today)

30+ minute hold times are the norm

#3 - Technically true but I doubt you will notice a difference. Speeds are close enough that it is irrelevant

#4 - Data Zones are VERY small, so not really unlimited. Plus Chatr will automatically charge overages if you have a balance in account

#5 - Chatr wins more retail locations (again inside the zones, try getting a SIM in outer areas)

#6 - Depends on plan, but price wise you can easily include a Public Long Distance Booster for same costs (esp if no credit card since Chatr plans take big spike in costs then)

#7 - And Chatr requires credit card payments every month to get same plan

@mech9t5 wrote:

Here is what's wrong with the 3g plans
1. Price - same as chatr
2. No call center for same chatr price
3. Throttled to 2.5mbps compared to chatr throttled to 3mbps
4. No unlimited data compared to chatr - public cuts off while chatr slows down to 64kbps
5. No retail presence - and no, selling Sims from Walmart don't count. Chatr has reps.
6. Province wide talk vs Canada wide and US talk
7. Require 90 days to get the $50 price per month

The ONLY advantage Public Mobile has over chatr is that it is not zoned.

So who exactly is public mobile competing with now?

Rockdaddy22
Of course you can 🙂

Themaningreen
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Unless I can stay grandfathered into my current plan, you have just lost a customer. These new plans are much to expensive.

@computergeek541 one only needs look at the $25 talk & text promo or older 1GB $90 plan to see this. Most of Public's long time users were very light data use (heck for nearly 2 years 333MB per month was most popular plan and people screamed when it was no longer available lol)

Rockdaddy22
I guess they want to leave the LTE customers for Koodo and Telus. We'll see what kind of promos come are way in the future. Time will be the judge 👩‍⚖️.

I've been very critical of these changes, but in some ways, the 2.5Mbps speed setting sounds counter-intuitive to me.  I know that the idea likely is get people to sign up on more expensive plans (whether here or on Koodo), but that almost neglects what I believe to be much of Public Mobile's core demographic.  I believe most customers chose Public Mobile for pricing, either out of necesesity due to income levels or because of an unwillingness to pay higher prices, meaning that in my opinion, very people will consider Public Mobile's current LTE offerings, meaning that the only thing left is the 3g data options.  The 2.5 Mbps speed means that it is harder to use up the data quickly.  If the speeds were faster, that would actually increase the likelihood of  a data add-on purchase.

srlawren

@Bubba the good news is you don't have to worry about it, just stay on your current plan and continue to enjoy the same full-speed service at the same price.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Bubba

the way PM does the calcuations and the way is presented and the wording used, I was all ready to get the new promo. But Its just the same as spending more to get more.

I have spent tons of time looking at the pricing. There is no bonus involved in this for current customers. I get to add 1 GB to what I currently have, but then my bill goes up almost $10 for that 1GB. On top of that....all at a reduced speed. It makes no sense  

Rockdaddy22
Cellular industry is constantly changing prices, wait and see

shrimpdude
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Yikes...this is bad. I've been meaning to stock up on SIM cards to have handy so that I can refer people to PM any time, but I'm glad I never did. These new plans are horrific.

Michael77
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire
Hi torontokris,

It may rise or fall? It all depends on the market. Look at the competition (4th player) in Quebec, Saskatchewan and Manitoba. Their prices are lower. Hopefully the same will happen in Ontario. Time will tell.

@jam you can technically change your plan whenever, but the plan change will be immediate, and you will need to pay the cost of the new plan. So when changing plans to a promo, i would recommend a future date plan change, or changing it close to the end of your renewal cycle. 

If a promo expires soon, the future date plan change might be the best option for you, just to avoid paying for a new plan right away. This can all be done in self-serve

jam
I'm interested in this answer as well. My plan is set to expire Aug 09 and if I purchase the new 3g plan before July 31 can I finish out my old plan then will it automatically switch to the new plan?

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

If Freedom "perfects" their network, Freedom prices will rise as well (more then they have already)... and once they rise there will be less need to give promos.

PM appears to be looking to compete with Chatr, not Freedom any longer.

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Be aware if your plan is from before July 7th you may have LTE data, and the new bonus plans are normally only 3G data (capped at 2.5mbps).

Just be aware of that before switching

@srlawren wrote:

@tigge811 wrote:

Who really wants 3G now a days.  I cringe when my phone shows 3G up in Muskoka.  Similar to the old commercials where the guy is tapping is fingers waiting for his dial up to transmit...............same thing with 3G.  This is 2017 not 2007

@tigge811 this was my initial reaction as well.  It's still not something I would want personally, but it's not as bad as I thought it would be based on my testing.  [if you haven't been following, the community oracles were each given a temporary test line to try out the new "3G" plans.]  PM seem confident that there is a fairly significant market of folks out there that are interested in plans like this.  I think they base that off the number of folks on Chatr, and pre-LTE or non-LTE Freedom (they're only LTE in some markets, and on an obscure band that not many phones support yet, and in fact even some unlocked not-bought-from-Freedom phones that have band 66 support don't work becuase of how they've configured their network).  Plus I think there is a value-driven segment of the market that may not even have a data plan yet today that might be lured in to try data based on these "lower" priced "3G" plans.  I'm not entirely convinced myself, but I think that's the thought at PM.  Time will tell!

A lot of the chatr customer base were Mobilicity converts who would dream of getting 2.5 mbit 3G speeds.  This would not be so bad if they throttled download to around 10 mbits.  Seriously though, they should not bother with throttling at all.  It's not like a gig of throttled LTE data is a lot cheaper to deliver.  This is a pure and simple money grab.  

Jeremy_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

@LeSong, yes - I did have the opportunity to test it out. To be 100% honest, I saw no actual difference in the way I use/consume data on my handset. (It might not be the same experience for everyone)

To add, I believe the 3G 12GB +6GB Bonus data is a great deal! Try it out, see for yourself!

Jeremy

srlawren
@LeSong it won't appeal to everybody. I've been testing it for a week and a half and although it's not bad, I wouldn't personally change my primary line over. But then I'm an impatient power user. But for more casual users it could be a way to save a few bucks.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

LeSong

@Jeremy_M, Would you go on or switch up from LTE to 3G yourself ?
from the customer point of view, would you go backward instead of going forword ?

I would of switch my plan and probably referraled 10 more of my friends if you guys did offer the same 6GB deal with LTE not 3G . but instead you made us all wonder whats telus plans for PM as it's kind of very disappointing path you're taking.

tigge811

I get moved to the Roger's 3G network when I'm up in Northern Ontario and I know from experience the network is really slow, especially when I send a photo of a fish we caught to my son back in the city.

Need Help? Let's chat.