Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Effective February 15th, changes are happening to Legacy/ Pioneer rate plans

Brooke_C
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey Community,

We have some important information to share with our Legacy/Pioneer customers. As a reminder, Legacy/Pioneer customers are those who continue to have access to the call centre and are on one of the five plans listed below.

• $22 Province-Wide Talk
  • $28 Canada-Wide Talk + Text
  • $43 Canada-Wide Talk + Text + 1GB Data
  • $48 Canadian & U.S. Talk + Text + 1GB Data
  • $63 Canadian & U.S. Talk + Text + 2GB Data

As you know, Public Mobile has been on a journey to become an online-only brand and give Canadians control of their wireless spend. Along this journey, we will need to make some changes to adapt. To that end, effective February 15th, 2018, all Legacy/Pioneer rate plans will increase in price. The reason for the price increase is simple: operating a call centre is expensive and, as the number of Legacy/Pioneer customers decreases, we lose the scale that has allowed us to operate it to date.

With that said, what we care about most is our customers and we want you to continue feeling good about your wireless choice, so we’ve worked with our sister brand, Koodo, to offer all Legacy/Pioneer customers a way to keep the same price. For a limited time, from January 10th to February 9th, 2018, Legacy/Pioneer customers can join Koodo with a similar rate plan that they have now with Public Mobile, at the same price they pay today. If you are a Legacy/Pioneer customer, you are eligible for this offer and you will be hearing from us over the next few days with details on how to take advantage of this deal.

If you are not a Legacy/Pioneer customer, this price increase and the above offer do not apply to you and you can continue enjoying your current plan.

To learn more, visit publicmobile.ca/serviceupdate.   

Thank you for your continued support as we evolve and change Smiley Happy

The Public Mobile Team

313 REPLIES 313

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@kav2001cwrote:

Anyone else notice after all the crazyness the extra line on our plans seems to have vanished?

The EXPIRED line is just gone now

@kav2001c nice catch... I hadn't noticed, but did just confirm the same in my account too.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Anyone else notice after all the crazyness the extra line on our plans seems to have vanished?

The EXPIRED line is just gone now

Litvinau_A
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I just made a switch today! So, Everything is unlimited regarding minutes and text(international). Even if you run out of data, you can still send pictures. Koodo works when you travel vs PM that doesn't. 

You'll be on a regular month-to-month plan with an option to have a small or medium TAB!!! Yes, you can pick up a new phone with paying only up to +15/month extra - If you want to.

Regarding $15 for the sim, just tell the koodo kiosk that you talked to koodo customer service and they said you'll be eligible for a free sim! Worked with me 🙂 

PS: even koodo is confused why telus is doing all these bs changes, at the end of the day - the same big boss gets the money.

Cheers!

srlawren

@mwhallwrote:

@srlawren Looks like you are right. The Koodo rep said that it is unlimited anytime, not just evenings and weekends. He also mentioned that the $100 credit does not require a tab. there is a $15 SIM card charge, though. Hopefully I was asking the right questions and not confusing him. I felt like he sort of knew what I was talking about, but not 100%.

@mwhall I'm glad to hear that's the case.  The whole situation still stinks, but this is a little bit of solace.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

benbalkw
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I do not wish to switch carriers.  When I signed up with my current plan, I was promised that the price would not change, and there would be no suprises.

"If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises. [emphasis added]"

Needless to say, when I received the message yesterday, I was indeed suprised.

I hold PublicMobile to their initial committment.  I am not interested in switching carriers for anything comparable.  I have convinced friends and family to switch to PublicMobile over the time I have been with them.  Not only do I feel like I have mislead them with this current news, but, if I do switch, I will be loosing the credit I receive for the refereal.

I am asking you to maintain the price of my current plan, as per our original agreement (highlighted above), for as long as I am an active customer. In lieu of this, I am asking you to offer a more satisfactory resolution. If such resolution is not offered and agreed upon by me within 48 hours, I will be elevating my complaint to both the CCTS and the Competition Bureau, with every intent of pursuing those complaints to their fullest extent, as this price increase would seem to me to be a blatant violation of consumer rights and expectations.

lenpark
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Looks like PM isn't interested in honouring their written committment about not raising the price of their $120/90 day/12GB plan.  It is interesting that when consumers decide to change their mind and opt to change to different carriers or services there are cancellation or change fees, but when the company decides to change their minds it is business as usual.

proto

Agreed and for good reason. Service may be the same, but price definitely will be more.

proto

I was told that if you continued to pay the bill and not miss a payment, the plan would not change.  I 100% disagree that the Koodo offering is the same.  What most people do not realize is to take into account the reward benefits of public mobile service will always make the PM plan lower than what Koodo is offering.

On the legacy plans, you can sign up 40 people under your plan and you pay $0 per month for the $120 / 90 day plan. By the way this legacy plan was on a promo which was unlimited province talk, unlimited international text, 12gb data (4gb per month).  $38 per month is the cost. Even if 5 friends sign up under your referral (phone number), your monthly cost would be $33.

How can that be the same as Koodo? I would like a clear explaination how it is the same.

The price increase is unwarranted and a misinformation when we first signed up.  "As long as the bill payment is not missed, you keep that price plan".

FILE A COMPLAINT TO CRTC - Follow this article on a step by step on filing your complaint.

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/price-increase-12gb-120-90day-plan-increase-150-unless-switch-koodo-...

mwhall

@srlawren Looks like you are right. The Koodo rep said that it is unlimited anytime, not just evenings and weekends. He also mentioned that the $100 credit does not require a tab. there is a $15 SIM card charge, though. Hopefully I was asking the right questions and not confusing him. I felt like he sort of knew what I was talking about, but not 100%.

doodle

I'm not happy the way that Public Mobile failed to honor the commitment they made for the $120/90days 12GB plan and decide to increase the price: "If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises. " I'll file a complaint to CCTS.

mwhall

@srlawren My source is: https://forums.redflagdeals.com/public-mobile-price-increase-12gb-120-90day-plan-increase-150-unless...

The second post details the conditions alluded to in the text message. I'm in the phone queue with Koodo as I'm typing this, so I'll update with any information I get from them.

Wooler
Re: $40/4GB Plan - getting $10/month price INCREASE!

Like many, many others I am formally contacting you to object to the "surprise" $30/90-day price increase in my current plan, of which I was notified by text message this afternoon. As I am sure you have been made aware by other outraged customers, the promotional materials when I originally signed up for this plan in fall 2016 clearly stated, "If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises. [emphasis added]" For example, see https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/UPDATE-Last-day-to-get-our-limited-time.... Similar promises were made by other Public Mobile representatives and materials at that time. I believe these multiple and clear advertising representations made by Public Mobile supersede any contradictory language concealed in the Terms of Service.

I am not at all interested in the included offer to switch to your sister company's "comparable" plan, which has many disadvantages despite your attempts to promote it as substantially similar or superior (e.g., no call forwarding; post-paid vs. pre-paid; no loyalty, auto-pay or referral rewards; more expensive US roaming add-ons; potential for incurring additional charges; etc.). Furthermore, switching to the offered Koodo plan by the March 15 deadline would forego the majority of the 90 days for which I was just billed on February 3rd. (I'll note in passing that the timing of the notice of this price increase relative to the billing cycle of this popular promotional plan appears far more intentional and predatory than coincidental.) The offered $100 credit does not even cover the combined cost of this lost usage plus the Koodo SIM plus tax, to say nothing of the inconvenience to me as a customer.

I am asking you to maintain the price of my current plan, as per our original agreement (highlighted above), for as long as I am an active customer. In lieu of this, I am asking you to offer a more satisfactory resolution. If such resolution is not offered and agreed upon by me within 48 hours, I will be elevating my complaint to both the CCTS and the Competition Bureau, with every intent of pursuing those complaints to their fullest extent, as this price increase would seem to me to be a blatant violation of consumer rights and expectations.

AimeeZoom

Nothing about this is fair - by being with PM we were told our rates wouldn't change as long as we are active customers. And with this "alternative", the $100 bill credit is only applied if you purchase a new phone with Koodo. I'm not losing 2 months of prepaid activity (plan renewed on Feb 1) to pay MORE money to get my money back. Ridiculous.

I'll be filing a complaint with CCTS.

Kng

This is absolutely ridiculous. Classic bait and switch. Losing all the rewards and referral bonuses because of this BS. Everyone saying that its more than fair etc. sticking by Public Mobile about this is absolutely delirious. This is utter BS.

Wooler

Hi, I was promised this deal would not change as long as my account was active 

estantheman

Dear Public Mobile,

This is a formal attempt to resolve a complaint with regard to the $10/month price increase, as was sent to me via a text from "5133" on February 15, 2018. 

When I signed up for Public Mobile service, my primary motivator was the clause in the fine print that stated that I will be able to retain "$120 / 3-months" rate indefinitely with "no surprises". Public Mobile was a relatively new company, and I took a risk by being a pioneer with this plan. 

This price increase is inconsistent and not what was promised when the advertisement indicated the following "If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises". 

Please contact me directly via Phone or Email to resolve this issue. Please be advised I will attempt to pursue resolution of this complaint via the CCTS and the Better Business Bureau shortly if I do not hear back within 24 hours.

Thank you.

srlawren

@mwhall I'm not sure where you're getting your info from but you're not required to buy a phone, on tab or otherwise, and I don't believe the talk portion is only unlimited on evenings and weekends, it's all the time. 

mwhall

This price increase is unacceptable. We were told that "as long as we are an active customer" our rates would not change, "no surprises". This is why I signed up for Public Mobile.

The proposed Koodo solution is unacceptable. I will not purchase a cell phone on Tab for the $100 credit. "UNLIMITED CANADA-WIDE" is NOT the same as unlimited evenings and weekends. I refuse to sacrifice a month of my pre-paid balance to move to a plan that costs more for less service than I have now. This is deceptive and I have filed a complaint with CRTC and will not withdraw it unless Public Mobile keeps us at our promised rate.

Update: I have called the Koodo call centre myself to double check the information I saw on RedFlagDeals. The rep assured me that the minutes on the Koodo plan are anytime minutes, and that the $100 bill credit does not require a tab. He says it may take a few months to apply. We do need to pay $15 for a SIM card, though.

pokepok

i will file a complaint for sure!

jgotfried

I encourage everyone who is outraged by this blatent false advertising to file a complaint with CCTS. It's easy and will take less than 15 minutes.

https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/

Willow536

I believe this is an unfiar move for legacy customers as with the promotion of my plan 120$ for 12 gig plan back in late 2016. 

It states in your public forum "If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises." You have falsified you advertising that I would be able to keep my plan as i signed on to. I do not not wish to move over to Koodo, and I do not agree to this price change. You have not given customers significant amount of time to make changes to their plan, nor move to a better offer. 
The reason I came to PM in the first place was reasonable prices and online support in lieu of a store presence. If koodo is offering the same offer with in-store support, why are you raising your pricesCapture2.JPG

gatsburglar

I'm on the 12GB of data, unlimited province-wide talk and unlimited global text on a 90 day plan for only $120.

If a mod from PM wants to get in touch with me to resolve this obvious price gouging and false advertising please do so.  If not a complaint to the CCTS is already in progress.

And yes it is FALSE ADVERTISING...

Things you need to know

• This is the only promotional plan during this period. No other plans are affected
  • During the promo period, there will be two plans totaling $120: (1) the 6GB unlimited province-wide talk and global text plan and (2) the promotional plan, which has 12GB of data. Please be sure to choose the plan with twice as much data for the exact same price!
  • If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises. 

@Litvinau_Awrote:

I'm on the $120/90days with Province-wide Calling and 12 Gigs of LTE plan right now, which isn't listed under the Pioneer plans in your chart, but i did receive a sms today about rates going up. So does it still affect me? Will the price go up by $10/30 days? 

If you're not one one of the Legacy/Pioneer plans (described in this thread's first post) then you're not going to be affected by this.

If you have any other plan (or pricing) that is no longer being offered then it's "grandfathered" and remains unchanged.  At least for a while - my plan was grandfathered almost two years, I still have the same duration/talk/text/data/bundle options as when I signed on.  If you ever wish to change your plan then you can only choose whatever options and pricing are currently offered and will lose your grandfathered plan - you can't restructure or choose from options which are discontinued.

I don't think it's ever happened yet, but if/when PM decides to discontinue grandfathered plans then I expect they'll let them finish their billing cycles and announce the impending changes at least a few months in advance, like they've done here with the Legacy/Pioneer folks.

Litvinau_A
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I'm on the $120/90days with Province-wide Calling and 12 Gigs of LTE plan right now, which isn't listed under the Pioneer plans in your chart, but i did receive a sms today about rates going up. So does it still affect me? Will the price go up by $10/30 days? 

koimr1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

My apologies to everyone involved for posting on the wrong thread.

In my defense I had hoped that with today's news there would've been an official thread up and ready to go when the texts went out.

srlawren

@scottl glad I could help.  This is yet another baffling move from PM/Telus management, snowballing on a frustrating and disappointing 2017.  I had high hopes for a rebound in 2018 but it looks like we're off to yet another frustrating and disappointing start.  I'm going to sit tight for a few days and see what happens.

scottl

Thanks @srlawren for:
"You can see the confusion in this thread as people are now here venting about the 2016 Fall Promo increase, which has nothing to do with these Legacy plan changes."

I made that mistake.

I found some answers in a separate thread on the 2016 Fall Promo termination.

koimr1

@Nobiliswrote:

This absolute garbage. You get all these new customers to leave their Freedom plans then completely screw them over by forcing them to switch providers and give up plans that were supposed to remain the same pricing.

I don't want a Koodo plan. I won't be forced around by a phone company that thinks it can bully it's customers. 

Guess it's time to go back to Freedom.

It is disappointing, isn't it? I came over on the same promo and we haven't even gotten through three billing cycles with PM yet before the price went up.

Nobilis

This absolute garbage. You get all these new customers to leave their Freedom plans then completely screw them over by forcing them to switch providers and give up plans that were supposed to remain the same pricing.

I don't want a Koodo plan. I won't be forced around by a phone company that thinks it can bully it's customers. 

Guess it's time to go back to Freedom.

koimr1

@kav2001cwrote:

@srlawren or the buffer to let people decide IF they want to continue or port

It seems beyond dumb to prepay 90 days then port out to Koodo

The $100 credit says in terms it is ONLY for TAB (which makes sense otherwise open to abuse) so basically everyone is screwed in both add-ons and price plans

Hence the howling at the moon we see

My plan is (still) dirt cheap and even I am upset 

@canucks4life  did the deed at Koodo today and did NOT need a tab and a mod here confirmed it as well:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/WARNING-40-Koodo-Offer-is-actually-55-mon...

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/I-just-paid-for-the-next-three-month-plan...

Need Help? Let's chat.