Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Effective April 1, changes are happening to Legacy/ Pioneer rate plans

Brooke_C
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey Community,

Public Mobile is continuing our evolution to an online-only brand with the goal to provide customers more choice in a clear and uncomplicated way.  Along this journey, we are making some changes. On April 1, 2017, all Legacy/ Pioneer rate plans will increase by $3 per month.

If you are not on a Legacy rate plan this increase does not apply to you.

You are considered a Legacy/ Pioneer customer if you are currently on one of the following rate plans that was available prior to January 27, 2015:

• $19 Province-Wide Talk
  • $25 Canada-Wide Talk + Text
  • $40 Canada-Wide Talk + Text + 1GB Data
  • $45 Canadian & U.S. Talk + Text + 1GB Data
  • $60 Canadian & U.S. Talk + Text + 2GB Data

To learn more, click here.

Thanks,

Public Mobile Community team

251 REPLIES 251

@Someone_here wrote:

@tanya2575 wrote:

Hi! You change my plan from 19$ to 25$ per month but not add me text and picture messages,because plan for 25$ encluded text and picture messages.

The price of your plan was changed, but your plan will not change.

You can go in your selfserve or call 611 to speak with a CSR and change your plan. If you do so be aware that you won't have access to the call center anymore.

As a Legacy or Pioneer Plan holder you will actually need to call 611 and speak with a rep as they will want a verbal confirmation that you know you are giving up the call centre support by switching your plan.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@tanya2575 wrote:

Hi! You change my plan from 19$ to 25$ per month but not add me text and picture messages,because plan for 25$ encluded text and picture messages.

The price of your plan was changed, but your plan will not change.

You can go in your selfserve or call 611 to speak with a CSR and change your plan. If you do so be aware that you won't have access to the call center anymore.

tanya2575
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Hey @Someone_here,

This thread is only relevant for the old legacy customers and has no impact on anyone on the current plans.  None of the current plan prices are going up for the plans introduced by the new PM as a BYOD, online-only company.

As discussed in the other thread you posted, it was a glitch on the Plans page.  Even during this glitch, the prices on the activation portal and in selfserve were showing the correct prices.  It was fixed promptly to the regular prices that have been around for the last ~ 2 years.  

@Someone_here wrote:
  • If I would chose the 90 day plan, then it would cost me $30/month ($96 - $6 autopay), so slighty more expensive with less flexibility as to when I pay or not.

So between $28, $40 and $30, the choice is easy 😉

Well, apparently prices raised since last week...

It is now $121 instead of $96, so $38.33/month after autopay (for 90-days Canada-wide with text)!!

I was considering changing to a new plan, thinking about paying for the service all year long... But now, no ways! Even with $2 autopay and $3 loyalty, I would need at least 8 (!!) friend referal to gain from the change (and even then, I would pay $27.33...).

I mean, Koodo has Canada-wide + text + 1 gb for $35 (at least in Quebec)...

Anyways, $96 wasn't too bad, $121 is way too expensive...

Quest
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Someone_here wrote:

Hi @imm1304, @asignw

Not afraid of change... simply put:

• For $28, I have: Unlimited canada talk and text, no data (I don't need it).
    On top of that, this is a 30 day plan, so I can chose every month if I pay for the service or not (I don't need it every month) (as long as I pay once every 120 days (90 inactive days + 30 active days)).
  • With the new plans, the same would cost me $40/month ($42 - $2 autopay) (not eligible to $3 loyalty reward since there is more than 60 days in a year when my account is inactive).
  • If I would chose the 90 day plan, then it would cost me $30/month ($96 - $6 autopay), so slighty more expensive with less flexibility as to when I pay or not.

@Someone_here  You made here very good point as far as your particular case is taken into consideration.

Keep in mind though that now a days for some folks Mobile Phones slowly becoming replacement for Landline Phones regardless whether they are using data or not. I have never heard about someone saying that I don't need Landline Phone this month so I will stop paying and bring it back after two months again.

People use their Mobile Phones almost for everything. They don't have Internet at homes they use exclusively Data to do shopping and banking on line, pay bills, communicate with family and friends and connect to the outside world. It is hard to believe but their entire world is contained in this tiny device. If you are like one of them or aspire to be like one of them you will need a lot of data so don't be afraid of change.

Hi @imm1304, @asignw

Not afraid of change... simply put:

• For $28, I have: Unlimited canada talk and text, no data (I don't need it).
    On top of that, this is a 30 day plan, so I can chose every month if I pay for the service or not (I don't need it every month) (as long as I pay once every 120 days (90 inactive days + 30 active days)).
  • With the new plans, the same would cost me $40/month ($42 - $2 autopay) (not eligible to $3 loyalty reward since there is more than 60 days in a year when my account is inactive).

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Hey @asignw,

I agree that most new plans offer better value.  Especially if you use data.  

The legacy customers get to talk to a live agent via phone call when they need help.  Possibly afraid of the change to the online-only mode of customer service.  

asignw
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

These legacy/pioneered plans don't look like a great deal with what's out there today.

Why not get a current rate plan?

lubmar

thanks ... i did it and it worked just as you said it would ...

lubmar

^ thanks

mattdxb
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@lubmar wrote:

any Public Mobile Community team can point me to/or explain the :

"Public Mobile takes into account the time you were on your legacy plan. Since I had the original plan for the past 3 years, I now get an extra $3 off per month. Very happy with the decision."

i just called and they say no to this ^

or where i should ask for clarification ...

thanks

When I called in to make the switch, I was told I would not get the loyalty rewards either.  When I completed the switch to the new plan anyway, I logged into Self Serve and the loyalty rewards were applied to my account.

It seems like the customer service reps are not aware of this or for whatever reason are telling people otherwise. However, it seems like the system automatically applies the rewards anyway.

@lubmar the official word for years was no. But now everyone is saying yes.

From personal experiance I have personally witnessed accounts getting loyalty rewards even though account was in suspended status due to owner being out of country for over a year

So I suspect the rewards will work, just Public did not want people to game the system

lubmar

any Public Mobile Community team can point me to/or explain the :

"Public Mobile takes into account the time you were on your legacy plan. Since I had the original plan for the past 3 years, I now get an extra $3 off per month. Very happy with the decision."

i just called and they say no to this ^

or where i should ask for clarification ...

thanks

lubmar

just called and they dont want to give me the "extra $3 off per month" ... how did you do it ?

mattdxb

@Quest wrote:

@mattdxb wrote:

I'm not sure why you didn't receive a text notifying you of the changes. I can check my texts and can confirm I received one back on the 23rd of February. 

and since then, I've received multiple texts offering the switch to Koodo as well. 

@mattdxb Did you switch to Koodo?

Nope. I hadn't decided I wanted to make the switch at the time. Then the new $25 provincial plan came out, I just decided to switch to that instead. That seems to have been the better choice since I now have loyalty rewards applied to my account as well.

Public Mobile takes into account the time you were on your legacy plan. Since I had the original plan for the past 3 years, I now get an extra $3 off per month. Very happy with the decision.

Quest

@mattdxb wrote:

I'm not sure why you didn't receive a text notifying you of the changes. I can check my texts and can confirm I received one back on the 23rd of February. 

and since then, I've received multiple texts offering the switch to Koodo as well. 

@mattdxb Did you switch to Koodo?

Quest

@Mercilus wrote:
Why doesn't public mobile send a text notifying you of these changes? I never visited the community section prior to this. I just bought a $40 voucher last night and loaded it on my account. I woke up and my phone is down due to missing $3. There's no $3 voucher I can buy, so now I have to travel again and spend more than I need to. I'm quite irritated by this right now.

@Mercilus In my case PM notified me about changes.They have never mentioned anything about adjusting vouchers so I called the Live Agent or Call Center (only second time since I joined PM) and the Lady on the other side told me that they are going to adjust it accordingly, following hike in price.

It looks like they didn't so far.

mattdxb

Mercilus
Why doesn't public mobile send a text notifying you of these changes? I never visited the community section prior to this. I just bought a $40 voucher last night and loaded it on my account. I woke up and my phone is down due to missing $3. There's no $3 voucher I can buy, so now I have to travel again and spend more than I need to. I'm quite irritated by this right now.

Quest

@swz5005 wrote:

Wish I was part of the Legacy plan still

@swz5005 Can you elaborate a little bit more about your post. You are talking here about Pioneer Plan, I understand, not 90 days Legacy plans.

@bb2017 but "rate plan" != "current rates"

Remember during BETA period they also told us the "old" SIM cards were expired and could not be activated (false) or that you could only activate an ON or PQ number (kind of false, since only NEW numbers could be assigned, but if you had an existing AB / BC number you could do number change via port in)

@Kdog when you switch you are billed for new month. So if switch today you lost 10 days of service you already paid for.

Call on 8th or 9th (just in case any system issues on the last day, never can be too careful)

bb2017

Public-Telus.jpg

Here are two links as possible proof of the exceptional promise ( on the beginning of 2015), to keep unchanged forever the current rates for the Legacy/Pioneer customer.

https://plus.google.com/+publicmobile/posts/DoQYjvvoEYK

http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/carriers/telus/telus-public-mobile-new-plans/

Noted that the price does not rise proportionally nor equitably,

$3 per any plan, ( representing 15% increase for the $19 plan and as low as 5% for the $60 plan )

However, I hope to be just a first April Fools.

Kdog

I'm a legacy customer ($40 plan) and after some debate i've decided i'd like to stay with public mobile but switch to the 90 day plan. Hopefully with the loyalty and autopay it'll actually be cheaper than what i'm paying now, and with an extra 1 GB of data per month. I've seen others mention a promo to get even more data, is that still avail or did i miss out? 

Anyway my question is that since i've left it pretty close to the change over date when should i call in to swich my plan? My auto pay is due April 10th.

Quest

@kav2001c wrote:

@Quest do not stress it at all

Beyond the fact they would require government approval to close Public (nothing even close to being filed publicly yet) you saw how long Mobilicity hung in there?

Many people fled worried company would die, but it took them nearly 5 years to actually shut down

Sugar Mobile is the same, 2 years of fighting in court and now it appears shut down is finally coming

Next time I suggest to laugh at the Koodo employees who seem to think they are privy to high level info. Most of them don't know what Koodo plans in 3 months, let alone Public

I absolutely agree with you. You have brought here many interesting points as well.

@Quest do not stress it at all

Beyond the fact they would require government approval to close Public (nothing even close to being filed publicly yet) you saw how long Mobilicity hung in there?

Many people fled worried company would die, but it took them nearly 5 years to actually shut down

Sugar Mobile is the same, 2 years of fighting in court and now it appears shut down is finally coming

Next time I suggest to laugh at the Koodo employees who seem to think they are privy to high level info. Most of them don't know what Koodo plans in 3 months, let alone Public

Quest
Hi, to All!!!

I was passing by a new Corporate Koodo Store and asked them about switching from PM to Koodo. Obviously they didn't know about any add-ons and blocked data. They've told me instead that a lot of people actually switched already and they didn't have any questions and complaints. When I told them that PM is still good company for those that wants more data and don"t care about doing business on line they said that PM is going to be fazed out to Koodo anyway. When I objected that news he looked at me with laughter and asked remaning salespersons to confirm that indeed it is true and they did so with laughter as well.

It looks like they couldn't acept to their astonishment that I didn't believe them.

firstdataplan

I just hope that my 4GB/$40 plan will not get jet-uped like those plans in the near future... I gave up another great plan to move to this company.  I will move to other companies if that happens to me.

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

@TK really? So one feature gets block but others cost extra? Cat Mad

I really want to see the clear language contracts

Anyone?

Need Help? Let's chat.