cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

*Closed* Swapping useless junk for a useful SIM card

Jeremy_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey everyone.  Some of you may have noticed an online campaign we recently launched on Facebook and YouTube called SIM Swap.  What the heck is a SIM Swap, you might ask? 

Well here’s how it works:

Through a series of social posts and YouTube videos, we are inviting people to trade their useless stuff (think old coffee cup or broken pen) for a useful Public Mobile SIM card.  We may even use it in future ads. The videos (check them out at the end of the post) show useless items twirling slowly on a pedestal before being swapped out for a Public Mobile SIM card. We think this a really fun way to show how different we are as a brand. 

The SIM Swap web page explains a couple of ways you can trade your useless stuff. For a social swap, a picture of a useless item can be shared via Twitter and Instagram by tagging us @publicmobile with the hashtag #SIMSwap in the caption. For Facebook, they can post a pic on our wall. Then we’ll send them a link to order their SIM card.  Along with their SIM card, we’ll send a nice surprise too.  

For those living in Toronto, there’s also an option to do an in-person trade.

SIM Swap is for new customers (you guys already have a SIM card) so if you know anyone who you think would like to join Public Mobile, let them know about SIM Swap.  You can share the URL or just send them one of our cheeky ads (see links below).  And you could get a referral reward too!

Gum: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1SHuGeV5Qk
Glasses: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0LKrkKbSY0

Pen cap: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq2XcW_84SA

Toilet paper roll: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXan9-CvwM4
Sunflower shell: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k83rqXkbDM
Rock: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa8U2wNR_p8
Laundry lint: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huurk_QA3Lk

78 REPLIES 78

Shazia_K
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey @mylabmax

I'm sorry to hear about this, 

Can you please send me a private message with the email address used in the simswap promo? 

Thanks, 

Shazia

* Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum.

mylabmax
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hello, 

I recently joined your promo of sending useless things and the link was sent last August 15. I tried to order the sim 4 times and until now, it is still not delivered. Can anyone look into this? 

Thanks

@ALic apples & oranges. This is in regards to the OLD policy (originated pre wireless code) that required 30 days notice. They are not talking about refunding current month, they are referring to the practise of billing the 30 days AFTER cancellation has been processed.

Public never did this (actually no Canadian prepay service ever did)

Currently every postpaid cancellation occours instantly 

shrimpdude
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@ALic wrote:

@kav2001c please see below the bit form the CRTC website:

However, in line with its prohibition of 30-day cancellation policies, the Commission clarifies that service providers must not charge for a service that is not, and cannot be, provided following cancellation. Moreover, all service providers must provide refunds for retail wireless, local voice (including VoIP), and Internet services following cancellation of such services when some or all of the monthly service fees are billed in advance. The refunds must be pro-rated, based on the number of days left in the last monthly billing cycle after cancellation.

The Commission will continue to monitor complaints by consumers and stakeholders regarding 30-day cancellation policies, as well as relevant changes in the marketplace, to ensure that customers benefit from the safeguards that were intended by both the 30-day cancellation policy and the Wireless Code.

Just filed a complaint via the CCTS website now. We'll see what happens.

ALic
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@kav2001c please see below the bit form the CRTC website:

However, in line with its prohibition of 30-day cancellation policies, the Commission clarifies that service providers must not charge for a service that is not, and cannot be, provided following cancellation. Moreover, all service providers must provide refunds for retail wireless, local voice (including VoIP), and Internet services following cancellation of such services when some or all of the monthly service fees are billed in advance. The refunds must be pro-rated, based on the number of days left in the last monthly billing cycle after cancellation.

The Commission will continue to monitor complaints by consumers and stakeholders regarding 30-day cancellation policies, as well as relevant changes in the marketplace, to ensure that customers benefit from the safeguards that were intended by both the 30-day cancellation policy and the Wireless Code.

@ALic the wireless code does not mention anything about proration at all, for post paid or pre paid? Why did you post that comment?

Either way if on post paid and you cancel, they cancel service immediately so you sometimes* get a refund

If on prepaid and you cancel you get no refund

* from a technical standpoint you should always have some refund, but the big3 have introduced a VERY SHADY practise known as "tolerance". I personally think this should be illegal and filed a CCTS complaint against Bell previously for this practise

Korth
Mayor / Maire

Even the worst providers want good business.  They might be a rip off but they're not trying to deliberately scam their customers.  And nobody wants bad advertising, especially in a market like this where alternatives are many and loyalties are fickle.  So Koodo or Wind (or PM, or whomever) might voluntarily comply, they probably have all the documentation they need to win legal challenges, they're just not interested in scorched-earth battles and pyrrhic victories over piles of small change.

The real problem is with the largest carriers is their own bureaucracy.  The bigger the company hierarchy, the less contact the customer has with employees who will actually do anything helpful.  The largest and most well-established carriers deliberately place their most unqualified personnel at the front door, so it's no surprise that frustrated customers mock support staff for being clueless and stubborn apparatchiks.

shrimpdude

Oh awesome, that's good to know!

ALic

Maybe you'll have to double check with Koodo. But according to CRTC regulations, the service providers must prorate. 
If really desired you could probably get your money back even from pre-paid service, by filling a complaint with CRTC.  Went through this procedure with Wind and got my money back. 

shrimpdude

I think this just goes for post-paid, though, not prepaid Koodo plans.

SpookyDuff

@ALic wrote:

Hey @SpookyDuff,

Don't worry about the date when you actually switch to PM. Koodo will prorate your bill to the date you actually disconnected. So you will only pay for the service that you actually used.

Really? I had no idea. Thanks!

ALic

Hey @SpookyDuff,

Don't worry about the date when you actually switch to PM. Koodo will prorate your bill to the date you actually disconnected. So you will only pay for the service that you actually used.

SpookyDuff

@Char21 wrote:

Ohhhh, I sure hope it doesn't take that long for me!!!.  😞

It's letter mail, so it will likely take 2 to 3 weeks. I missed my Koodo bill period by two days. Smiley Sad

Shazia_K
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey guys, 

Everyone who have filled up the form for the SIM swap campaign, will not receive their SIM card before 2-3 weeks. 

Thank you for your patience 🙂

Shazia

* Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum.

Char21

Ohhhh, I sure hope it doesn't take that long for me!!!.  😞

SpookyDuff

@Char21 wrote:

Mary sent me a link to order the sim, which I completed last Thursday, but I haven't received any confirmation that my request was received or that the sim has now been sent.  

Any chance I'll receive the sim this week?  I'm getting kind of worried cuz the next month on my current plan is coming up fast.  

Mary also sent me a link for the SIMswap. Once I completed the form, it took exactly two weeks to receive the SIM in the mail.

Char21

Mary sent me a link to order the sim, which I completed last Thursday, but I haven't received any confirmation that my request was received or that the sim has now been sent.  

Any chance I'll receive the sim this week?  I'm getting kind of worried cuz the next month on my current plan is coming up fast.  

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

hahahaha lol @kav2001c Hope I don't get scared 😛

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

@Mary_M oh I am so in wait till you see what I still have in my basement Cat Surprised

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey @Char21

Have you sent us a pic of something useless ? 

If so, please private message me and I'll send you the link to complete the trade 🙂

Cheers,

Mary

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

ALic

Hi @Char21,

That's a good question to PM. I did receive though the package this week. It took them some time to mail those out from the time I placed the order, perhaps over a week.

Char21

Is this simswap still going?  I still haven't heard anything since replying to the Craigslist swap ad, or to my forum post?

ALic

Hello @Shazia_K @Rockdaddy22 @McLaren

Thanks for your input, I was able to do it through the self serve.

Live and learn ))

Shazia_K
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey @ALic

As @McLaren and @Rockdaddy22 mentioned, this is a normal voucher that can be added through your self-serve account:

-On the Overview, click on the Payment tab.

-One-Time payment: Enter the requested information:

• Voucher PIN

Thanks,

Shazia

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
So is it just a normal voucher? I guess you could also add it with 611

McLaren
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@ALic yes you can. Just go to add payment in self serve and choose voucher, then enter the promo code. 

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
@Shazia_K or @Mary_M could you answer @ALic question? I'm sorry, I can't answer your question. A moderator will hopefully be able to answer your question.

ALic

Hello,

I have received an Activation credit of $25 in the mail, but I have already activated my line recently. Is there a way to still apply this credit to my account?

Thank you

Char21

I sent an email yesterday to ask about an in-person swap in Toronto.  Haven't heard back yet.  Hope to get the sim before I have to pay another month on my current plan, which is soon.  Does this usually take a while?

fisher
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

i m not sure about it , is that mean i can get a free PM sim card  when i post something useless on twitter or instagram ???  

what can i do with a new PM card ?

Need Help? Let's chat.