cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Re: Three Cheers for Bargains! It’s Thrift Shop Day!

About a year ago I learned that places like Value Village are not true charities but rather a FOR PROFIT business, to the point that the CEO was making over a million dollars in income off of donations given by people that believe it is a true charity. It is not. Over the years I have also noticed how Value Village has increased their prices to the point that I have to ask "who is willing to pay that much for such cheap stuff?".

This is in contrast to the head of Salvation Army Thrift Stores who only makes in the $13K range.

Have a read here (and the comments) for some insight:

https://communityedition.ca/selling-the-poor-the-politics-of-value-village/

Be wise in your choices.

BTW, we found a great leather jacket for our then 18y.o. son for $10 which we would easily value at over $250. It looked like it had never been worn.

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

vintage Chinaware that completed a set passed down from my grandma! 

jp2
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

When I first started snowboarding I got all of my equipment for under 50 dollars on a winter gear clear out sale. It was in great condition I am still using the boots and bindings 3 years later 

I got a fantastic wooden Philips console stereo with a functional 8-track and record player for $20

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

A bag of three perfectly good swim goggles for the kids at $2.

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I’ll take those flannel zebra jammiesSmiley Happy

Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Wow, my first thrift shop experience was way back when I needed a suit jacket for my first ever job interview.  Was a dark brown suit, luckily the light brown patches were not included, lol.

I think it was just a bit under $30, had to sell some old school video games at the flea market to come up with the money, those were the days.

Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hand turned pottery for $1-$10. Real pottery is quite expensive to buy (especially if it is a nice pattern as opposed to very dated pottery). It takes a lot of digging to find decent stuff. Usually it's from estates I think. 

My best thrift store find?  I am an AVID old movie buff and some of my favourite memories growing up are watching movies like Pinnochio, Bedknobs & Broomsticks, The Aristocats, Jungle Book and a couple of non Disney movies like "My Fair Lady" and "The Pajama Game"

Well, after randomly searching thru a couple of the local haunts, I manage to find a place that had 10 of my all time favourite Disney movies, AND the two mentioned above for $80! Considering that disney movies retail for $20-30 each, i'd say that was a STEAL!

i was dancing around like a little girl, everyone thought i was a mental patient

Cheers

-James

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

While I'm not a fan of thrift shopping, the one time I went I managed to find a pair of my favorite shoes that they no longer make, which was actually a pleasant discovery. I was fighting myself, as I didn't want to buy potentially pre-worn shoes.

I bought a couple of Xbox games for 2-4$ each though.