cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Province wide - close to border

mark182
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'm about to sign up to a plan which involves province wide calling. However, I am going to be working near Lake Louise Alberta, whilst living just a few kms over the border in BC. Will this change over to long distance calls when I cross the border or will I still be going off the Alberta tower?

Thanks

Mark

11 REPLIES 11

Considering that the 400 minutes Canada, US, and International LD add-on is $15, and only expires when fully used (ie. not at plan renewal), you might be okay with this choice.

If you know you will use more than 400 minutes in a 90 day cycle, go with Canada wide voice package.  I you know you will use less than 400 minutes in 90 days, buy the LD addon for $15.

sbreakin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I agree that Province wide may wind up with dropped calls or no service if you venture too far.

The suggestion above of 30days is good way to try it out.

Also could buy a batch of Caada LD minutes as they don't expire & if some left can use them in future on a new plan if you changed.

I personally have found I can go a fair distance into USA before it switches to an OOP plan.

Also as you note - Text & Data are Canada wide:

So for outbound calls: if you had no phone service at your residence - you could use home wifi or your data to make an outgoing call using Gogle Voice, various apps (wechat, Kakao, Fongo, etc). The only drawback is some may not show as your cel number on call display.

Inbound calls: Fongo is also very handy for inbound too as you can call forward calls in your home province before you leave to the Fongo number then have your data or wfi on & the calls will ring on your phone. 

But as other mention - this is prepaid so no surprise phone bills.  It just wont work and at end of prepaid period you can switch plans (although I'd set that up before hand as a future change to occur at renewal).

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@mark182  another option is to do provicial talk for 30 days instead of 90 days.  (it costs only 2$ more)  that way you can test out the service and how the towers work.  if all works well then go for  the 90 days provinical if not then you know the canada wide is a better option.

mark182
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks for the info everyone.

Looking at a map of the telus towers it appears that I will be slightly closer to the Lake Louise tower but of course this isn't to say it will drop out.

From what I understand SMS isn't affected by the provincial restrictions? This will probably be primarily what I use so if I'm not able to make inter-provincial phone calls all the time it probably isn't the end of the world. I will take the Canada-wide add on into consideration though.

Thanks,

Mark

If you're that close to a provincial border, do yourself a favor and pay the roughly $5 more per 30 days for Canada-wide calling.  I suspect you would have more heaaaches than it's worth with a provincial calling plan.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Province wide calling while living near a provincial border is going to result is a very iffy experience.  It is hard to say whether the phone will connect to an out of province tower or not.  While this won't affect incoming calls.  Outgoing calls could terminate abruptly unless a long distance addon in the account.  Personally, I would stay away from province wide calling feature and go with Canada wide calling. 

Taekgun
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@mark182

It really depends how far to or near the BC/AB border you'll be going.  Once you cross the border into BC, the first set of towers you'd be using with PM are in Field, BC.  The AB towers (a couple in and around LL) are much closer in proximity to the border but really it depends on all sorts of unknown factors that can be going on with where you are staying, reception, your device, etc...

I agree, you may just want to have a Canada-Wide plan to avoid the headaches, or you need to have a LD add-on just in case, and watch to see if you start using some of that add-on or not.

Also, slightly jealous you'll be living and working in that part of Canada - beautiful there.

MoreYummy
Mayor / Maire

It is prepaid, no no need to worry about long distance, since it wont work at all, unless you bought the LD addon.

Michael77
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@mimmo wrote:

You might want to consider Canada wide plan.  Might save you some headaches.

I agree. 🙂

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

You might want to consider Canada wide plan.  Might save you some headaches.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@mark182, I am not sure becaus3e you could be switching between towers in both provinces.  I would contact the mods fr more clarification on this.  To message a MOD for assistance, click on this link Moderator Team

to send a private message .
In your message please include:
* PM account email address
* PM phone number
* Detailed explanation
Community Moderators are available from Mon-Thursday 9am(Eastern) to 9pm(Eastern) and Friday, Saturday, and Sunday from 9am(Eastern) to 7:30pm(Eastern)

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.