Did you mean: 

Looks like freedom mobile trying to match up price

Samianauman
Mayor / Maire
Someone told me today freedom offering plan like public mobile and chatr
I went to website to see what Thry offering
40 dollars plan have 4gb lte with usa Canada calling and unlimted sms
49 dollars plan offer 6gb lte and 59 offer 8gb lte

Plans looks good but what about the reception and quality I don't think freedom service will get better first Cuz of frequency I can't use my own phone first damage is to buy a compatible phone even if u don't want to but u don't have option then lte doesn't work before I moved to pm I switch a plan to lte on freedom and I borrow a phone from a friend of mine to try out lte I went Toronto all the way but never received lte network was always on 4g or h+ let's see what they offer this time since I move public mobile not a single drop calls or voice quality issues like I was always having with freedom I used to restart my phone 5 to 6 time daily to get better voice quality

I personally think WHT ever they offer they can't compete with public mobile

What's your view on that?
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**
27 REPLIES 27

DealHunter
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Meh!

Public still better.

At least you don't have to buy a new phone to get the new Freedom mobile LTE service, which doesen't have the best coverage in the outer reaches of Ontario.

JasonT1983
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Yes, Public >>>> Freedom

@ckl
Welcome to pm I know what have u been thoroughly with freedom mobile i left the same boat as well pretty happy with pm here glad took a decision
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

ckl
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Given Freedom Mobiles poor coverage areas, it seems to me that they should not just match prices, but beat the competition by a fair margin. Wind used to do this before it was bought by Shaw.

I see that prices have gone up since Shaw took over. For example, the $40 plan now has less features than the $40 plan that I had back when I was with Wind. In my quick perusal of the Freedom Mobile site, my old plan is now the $59 plan. That's a $19 price hike. The plans may not be exactly the same, but the major features are. Of the minor differences, it's not worth the price difference.

I'm glad I switched to PM. All of the issues I had with FM/Wind are now gone (mainly, slow data speeds, dropped/no coverage) and I pay the same price. Sure, I lost unlimited North American calling but then again, when I think back at how many times I used that feature it was maybe less than 5 times in 2 years. I also had unlimited US roaming in the base plan, but I used it only once in 2 years as well since I didn't have many opportunities to travel to the US. In the end, I suffered coverage and slow data issues almost every day. To me, the tradeoffs were worth it.

As a reference of what Wind offered for $40 before Shaw tookover, I was on this plan:

Unlimited North America calling (unlimited meaning 2400mins/month I believe).

Unlimited Data (10GB full speed, then throttled. Full speed HSPA - about 12-15 Mbps down 5Mbps up)

Unlimited US roaming (2GB full speed then throttled).

Unlimited SMS (not global I believe).

All the other extras like voicemail, caller id, etc. etc.

For sure chatr is alots better is just chatr only offer 3g network but steady network speed doesn't drop like freedom here is the new experience

My brother got lg v20 and lte plan in Jan 2017 still can't get lte network till now probably went to freedom store 20 Times nobody know what's the issue here how can he's not able to get lte only show 4g lol one of rep said 4g is lte so finally he got fed-up and cancel his plan and order public mobile sim yesterday night paid the balance on his phone and close the account freedom keep losing lots of business Cuz of their bad customers service and nothing hide about there coverage it's pretty unstable anyways

zmh1175
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

freedom is bad. chatr is using rogers tower so it will be fine.

Yep if telus let pm user use those features then thry will lose lots of customer I m pretty sure they don't want to do that since telus is like premium service and Thry want to keep it premium as well in future

WearySky
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@echf - PM is a bare bones, no frills carrier.  I don't see them offering visual voicemail, ever, to be honest.  VoLTE *maybe*, VoWifi unlikely as well (imo), but even both of those I could easily see Telus keeping for the big brands only.

echf
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@CalvinW wrote:
Yeah, I will probably just go back to Fido. That's where I ported over three months ago. Everything is the same between Fido and PM. PM only had an edge when the promo was going on since it was still $2 cheaper than Fido. But right now, it's just the same as any carrier. And recently, someone posted about PM throttling the data speed on the public labs, which is really discouraging.

In terms of network, Bell/Telus/PM network is more advanced than Rogers/Fido. At least in Toronto, Bell/Telus network has better reception, their equipment is newer, and more towers are connected using fiber optics. With that said, you won't experience much different in real life. PM's throttling problem is a technical problem according to many people, it is not intentional (I believed it). But the fix to this problem won't come anytime soon!

BTW I like Fido's latest advertisement very much!

echf

Freedom mobile is not a "small" carrier anymore, they are backed by Shaw! 

I don't expect their network quality match up with Big 3 over night, but seems they are not investing and doing enough! If their network improved dramatically, I am more than happy to try it out. 

BTW I hope PM can catch up with latest technology (VoWiFi, VoLTE, visual voicemail). Freedom mobile promised providing those in the near future. 

Absolutely I won't mind trying but just to be tried out u need lol new device which run on band 66 no way I can use any top notch phone with my public mobile happy with that actually more then happy

WearySky

Yeah, Freedom's pitiful LTE coverage doesn't compare at *all* to the nationwide coverage you get with PM.  They're charging $40 a month for access to LTE in *some* parts of *some* markets.  And only if you have a phone that supports B66 (or B4, I think? If you happen to be in eastern Ontario).

True @stonechucker
Its a human nature always want everything extra lol

But yes I agree with you

I've been a wireless user for about 20 years now, and I just can't understand why lots of data is such a requirement on a cell phone.  The regular price Provice-wide, global txt, and 6 GB of data over 90 days, is far and away a better deal than any Ontario based plan offered by the Big 3.  Compared to Rogers, and Wind (Freedom), I'm saving $50 and $30 (respectively) per month with Public Mobile, for the same "package" I had with the other guys.

Yes, I'm on the fall promo because it was a no-brainer free upgrade, but I've not even used 6GB of data in the cycle.

I don't have WiFi at work, but I do at home.,  Maybe because I don't like to use my cell for internet surfing, that's why I don't use the data, but having a desktop monitor, or a reasonably size tablet make surfing a whole lot easier.

I think consumers need to really think about how they use technology.  Just because you can get data on your phone, doesn't mean it should be used for everything data related.

CalvinW
Yeah, I will probably just go back to Fido. That's where I ported over three months ago. Everything is the same between Fido and PM. PM only had an edge when the promo was going on since it was still $2 cheaper than Fido. But right now, it's just the same as any carrier. And recently, someone posted about PM throttling the data speed on the public labs, which is really discouraging.

@CalvinW wrote:

I might try it out. PM is good and all but I missed out on the Fall promo and the current 2 GB per month is just way too skimpy. Then when you move up to 4 GB without the promo, it is way overpriced. There are so many other carriers that offer a better deal.

As an ex-Wind customer, I can tell you that you are taking a big risk switch over.  Unless you are due for new hardware, it will cost extra to get an band 66 capable phone which at this moment remains limited in selection.  More importantly, it will be hard to handle the huge reduction in network performance.  The LTE network may help alleviate some of the latency issues on the 3G network.  However, the coverage remains weak; expect no signal in large buildings. 

TBH, if you are really in need of the extra data, give zoomer mobile (Rogers network) a look.  For $36, they offer a 2 gig plan with limited minutes.  After 6 months, customers are able to get on a loyalty plan that doubles the data to 4 gigs. 

I know 2gb is bit low I m on 12gb 90 Days plan which I don't mind it's working out pretty well

CalvinW

I might try it out. PM is good and all but I missed out on the Fall promo and the current 2 GB per month is just way too skimpy. Then when you move up to 4 GB without the promo, it is way overpriced. There are so many other carriers that offer a better deal.

@pckku
You are absolutely right on that

pckku
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I have been using facetime and Skype etc. inside a car (as a passenger!) along the HWY401 corridor and local streets, and have had excellent smooth clear video. This shows the importacet to have stable, robust and fast network. This is PM and I am not going to switch to other 2nd or 3rd tier network services even they may offer more features and data for less money. These perks are irrelevant with their poor network performance.

@ajanda wrote:
Nothing major will occur, Until freedom doesn't get vo-wifi and expand their LTE area covering the entire GTA and GVA area. Also once people realize you can get LTE phones that will work on their LTE network. For example the lg g6 and Samsung s8. But they are not cheap phones. Then a dent can be made in the marketplace. However there plans are still much better than Big 3 at least in Ontario. But that 250mb plan for $30 is an insult, it's almost as if you do not have any data. The $49 plan is a decent value once LTE expansion is complete and you have greater phone choices with Vo-Wifi.

VO-wifi may help but it certainly won't be the panacea.  Now you are asking customers to be stuck to the indoors.  TBH, I treat the various chat apps with voice and video options VO-wifi before its time.  The carriers are way late to the game.  I have had my google voice service heading on nearly a decade.  It works best as a forwarding service, but voip calls are fine as well. 

They offered since I port out my number and gave a deadline if I get a plan by that date They were offering me lifetime 6gb plan option but I didn't accept it Cuz the city I m in still doesn't have lte yet

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Samianauman, I left in such a hurry, I don't think Wind knows who walked out the door.  So, I was not placated with any offers to stay, not that I would have taken the bait.

I know the 30 dollar plan is shame no doubt 250mb I was like are u serious 250 mb what will I do with that it's gonna take some time I would say 2 to 3 years it's will get better I guess

100 % agree with @will13am

I was with freedom since 2010 or even little earlier but water went above my head I was like I can't tolerate this torture from freedom mobile most of my caller says I sound like robot and data was not there when I really need it so many dead spots in every city never used my phone in underground parking or in mall or hospital because they don't have service there and was scared to take my phone in hospital or mall once you lost signal it's gone for 5 to 8 mins it's was a nightmare they really have to work with there services doesn't matter what they offer but it's won't work since they notice I moved to public mobile and close account with them they email me and offered 35 dollars plan with 6gb lte lifetime plan as long I keep the service active n good standing but my answer is no I enjoy my public mobile and to be honest I enjoy my community forum too great place discuss and get help and provide help for others make me feel good

ajanda
Nothing major will occur, Until freedom doesn't get vo-wifi and expand their LTE area covering the entire GTA and GVA area. Also once people realize you can get LTE phones that will work on their LTE network. For example the lg g6 and Samsung s8. But they are not cheap phones. Then a dent can be made in the marketplace. However there plans are still much better than Big 3 at least in Ontario. But that 250mb plan for $30 is an insult, it's almost as if you do not have any data. The $49 plan is a decent value once LTE expansion is complete and you have greater phone choices with Vo-Wifi.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Coverage and network quality first, plan features a distant second.  I left a $25 per month for talk, text and 5 gigs of unthrottled data with Wind to come to Public Mobile.  Why would I ever care to pay double to go back.  If Shaw can team up with their kissing cousin Rogers and run a credible national network, maybe then we have something to talk about.  Until such time, let's not try to compare apples to oranges.

Need Help? Let's chat.