@Salvo wrote:

Thanks for getting back would 3g be good for uber ? Any idea 

@Salvo Yes, no problem for Uber drivers

Salvo
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks for getting back would 3g be good for uber ? Any idea 

Good1
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I don't really notice the difference in speed. I am sure if I streamed something live I would notice.

Good1
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@RobertQc wrote:

@Salvo If you are ok with watching non HD streams on your phone and letting updates / large files take a little bit of extra time you get significantly more value with a 3G plan. Real world experience I don't notice a difference between LTE and 3G.

3G is actually still LTE but they throttle the overall maximum speed (but the latency is the same) so it still seems as fast for regular use.

IMO Get more data, and save a lot of money. Go with 3G speeds.

30 days - Canada wide - Text - 5Gigs LTE - $67

30 days - Canada wide - Text - 6.5Gigs 3G - $50 )(6gig+500mb bonus)

They also change the cost of province wide minutes to canada wide minutes for $0 with a 3G plan.

The $50 6.5 gig plan also has US calling.

bellamia
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I just switched to an LTE plan and I think it's great. Much better than the 3G that I had through my previous cell supplier! I definitely recommend it.

Tfirx35

I have seen no need of LTE since I moved over from Bell. If I were to need HD streaming or large files downloaded it may be different but I've always been of the opinion thats what WiFi is for.

If you need either of those two thing regularly than it may be worth it. Otherwise stick with 3G.  You'll save money and won't really see the difference.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

It is actually not a bad idea using LTE throttled at 3Mbps.

If you accidentally click a wrong link(which I do it all the time on my phone), with LTE speed, the full page will be on your screen already.  But with 3Mbps throttled speed, you may be able to cancel it before fully loaded.  Depending on how data on your plan, the 3Mbps may eat less of your monthly data quota.

Wonder_why
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Salvo wrote:

Anyone on the LTE plan what ya think of it  ? Thinking of the 5g LTE plan

@Salvo  Oh no, not with PM, there are planning to switch to 2G even Cat Happy

mtfolks

@will13am wrote:

@Salvo, here is a fairly recent thread comparing LTE and 3G.  You will see there is little difference based on usage conditions.  I think some customers have actually given up their LTE plans for 3G to get a little more data for the same money.  Because all the promos and focused on the 3G plans, I don't think it's worthwhile shopping the LTE offerings.  

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/3G-vs-LTE/m-p/248442#M43796

This is fantastic! Thanks for sharing!

People tend to get too focused on speedtest numbers when what really matters is how well the connection performs in real life usage. Unless your focus is downloading 100GBs of data, if the connection works flawlessly for what you want to do it doesn’t really matter if it’s 3mbps or 300mbps. 

Effort
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@torontokris wrote:

@RobertQc wrote:

@Salvo If you are ok with watching non HD streams on your phone and letting updates / large files take a little bit of extra time you get significantly more value with a 3G plan. Real world experience I don't notice a difference between LTE and 3G.

3G is actually still LTE but they throttle the overall maximum speed (but the latency is the same) so it still seems as fast for regular use.

They also change the cost of province wide minutes to canada wide minutes for $0 with a 3G plan.

The 6.5GB 3G plans also have USA calling (from Canada). Great plan. Wish they'd call it LTE lite to better reflect it's on the LTE network just capped speeds

The term "LTE Lite" isn't an actual term. If it's mentioned, it will still need to be explained. Stating "3G" in modern plans, regardless of provider universally indicates a cap of 3Mbit bandwidth. It's a lot easier to market without causing confusion.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Salvo, here is a fairly recent thread comparing LTE and 3G.  You will see there is little difference based on usage conditions.  I think some customers have actually given up their LTE plans for 3G to get a little more data for the same money.  Because all the promos and focused on the 3G plans, I don't think it's worthwhile shopping the LTE offerings.  

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/3G-vs-LTE/m-p/248442#M43796

earthonmars

i agree with this post, because I just switched from fido to publicmobile. 3G speed is great if you dont watch hd video with your mobile internet.

torontokris

@RobertQc wrote:

The 6.5GB 3G plans also have USA calling (from Canada). Great plan. Wish they'd call it LTE lite to better reflect it's on the LTE network just capped speeds

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

Need Help? Let's chat.