cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

online forms, passwords, etc

dude65
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

This is just a reminder about filling forms, creating passwords/usernames etc. Only YOU will know what info you enter, unless you share it. When filling out a form, after you have finished, before you hit the submit button, double or triple check all the info you have entered to make sure its accurate and complete. If things are not correct, it can lead to problems. Often people are in a hurry to just get it over with, failing to realize what they all entered. If your like most people, remembering passwords can be challenging. Do what ever you need to do to help you with that. Even writing that down on paper and putting it in a safe spot if need be.

3 REPLIES 3

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Korth there are some password managers that store data only on your device.  If you distrust the cloud-stored aspect, then those might be a safer bet for you. But of course then you have to manage and secure your own backups, such that if you lose the single device on which the database is stored locally, you don't lose all your passwords with it.  You can still use your long, non-nonsensical phrase for your master password, and just have to remember the one.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

I don't trust password managers. At least not when they're cloud-based mobile apps. Most are probably legit. But, y'know, tinfoil hat suspicion as usual.

I do generally subscribe to the long password vs the complex password. Something cryptic like "knEEd4gaveL_1234_6" might be impossible for a human to guess but the slightly expanded character/symbol set is barely noticeable to a machine programmed to methodically brute-force past the lock. While something like "my password long like Yoda backwards speaking but not can 3 Jedi guess the path of strawberry engines before a laser ferret" tends to be easier for a (strange) human to remember but is an utterly unworkable length and is too linguistically nonsensical for a machine/program to attack very successfully.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@dude65 writing down passwords is generally considered to be a bad idea.  Do yourself a favour and start using a password manager instead.  I've been using LastPass for years (and I support them with a premium membership, but the free is very feature-packed as well) and love it. Other popular ones include 1Password and Keeper, but there's dozens more.

If you get into the habit of using a password manager, you only have to remember ONE password, the one to your password manager.  And then you can access those passwords from anywhere you need them, securely.  Without writing anything down.  Plus they help you generate strong, lengthy random passwords, with a unique password per site/service/account/etc.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Need Help? Let's chat.