cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoomer Wireless Promo.

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Zoomer wireless is weird. Some plans are priced ridiculously but some are just dealbreakers. I was snooping around their site for fun and found out about this.

Zoomer has a 45$ 7GB promo going paired with a Galaxy A71 Phone. The plan price is originally 50$ but its discounted to 45$ permanently because your buying a phone with them. Right off the bat that sounds like a damm good deal, It's 500MB more data than the 45$ plan we offer and you get a free phone with it. Only con is its a 2 year contract so you have to be committed to the 2 years with them. The phone isint being financed though, it's just free. Their also giving away 100$ credit and if you use a refferal that's an extra 50$ credit. If your like me I would just sell the phone. There is nothing stopping you from selling it. 

Let's say you sell the phone. That phone is worth 600$ regular price, You could sell it for 480$. That money can be used towards the plan. 480$ + 100$ bonus + 50$ refferal credit = 630$. If you divide that over the 2 year term it's 26.25$. 26.25$ minus the 45$ plan price is 18.75$. What a damm deal.

Let's recap here. You get a 18.75$ a month plan that includes Unlimited Calling and text messaging, 7GB of data, Voicemail, 3 way calling, and all that other jazz. 

I divided the discounts over 2 years. After the 2 years when the contract is over you'll have to go back to the drawing board and either go with another contract on zoomer or switch to whatever is more appealing. 

The advantage that you get vs PM is possibly cheaper service (depends on the rewards built up on your account), And live technical support. 

I thought I would share this with the community. It certainly beats PM even factoring in the current rewards I have. 

EDIT: Here's the link to the page with the promo https://www.zoomerwireless.ca/promotion_offer/novemberbf-2020

13 REPLIES 13

BearFBI

@popping Thanks for sharing your experience with zoomer. I think I might just stay put. I have a decent amount of rewards built up and I am almost coming up to a year in march. I just need to build up the rewards on my other accounts because they only get autopay reward. 

Also the cell industry is changing. Being in a 2 year contract might be a bad idea.. 

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@will13am wrote:

@BearFBI , they open the boxes and put the SIM card in and set things up before shipping.  I was aware of this when I signed up.  I asked them not to open the box as I was gifting the phone.  They would not budge from this policy.  Their rationale is that they want to make sure they are shipping a fully functional device that's set up to run on their service.  It is very awkward to gift something that's open box.  A little bit of embarrassment aside, at least the explanation will be believed.  If I were a buyer of an open box phone from a stranger, I take the conservative assumption that it's used.

Back in 2014 and at least 2015, Zoomer did not open your phone if you asked during activation. Then, I don't know why Zoomer has to open the box.  Agree.  There will be a discount in selling an open box phone.

popping

@BearFBI 

If you don't mind Zoomer 2 years contract to get a free phone, Zoomer is for you.

The referral $50 credit and the $100 bonus credit is only for new activation.  After 2 years, you need another 2 years contract in order to have another free phone to sell without the $150 credit related to the new activation.  Therefore, the same plan will cost more after 2 years.

I prefer no contract so that I can switch provider.  But, I am happy to stay with PM's rewards system.

popping

I have my Zoomer account since November 2014 and I had 5 numbers until 2.5 years ago.

Zoomer $36 4GB plan is the most competitive plan before 2.5 years ago.  It will be more expensive compared with other providers if someone need more than 4GB data or someone only need a few call minutes and small amount of data. 

After I discovered PM 2.5 years ago, I switched

- 3 numbers from Zoomer,

- 1 number from 7-11 Speakout,

- 2 numbers from Chatr

- 2 numbers from Telus prepaid 

to PM

@BearFBI , they open the boxes and put the SIM card in and set things up before shipping.  I was aware of this when I signed up.  I asked them not to open the box as I was gifting the phone.  They would not budge from this policy.  Their rationale is that they want to make sure they are shipping a fully functional device that's set up to run on their service.  It is very awkward to gift something that's open box.  A little bit of embarrassment aside, at least the explanation will be believed.  If I were a buyer of an open box phone from a stranger, I take the conservative assumption that it's used.

BearFBI

@will13am Oh wow. I didn't know they opened the phone before they sell it to you. I mean they probably put the SIM inside for you so that's why. 

selling an opened phone box at a high price is hard. Dammit. I mean you still could sell it and indicate it's a brand new phone from zoomer but then it's more of a hassle. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I was a Zoomer customer long ago.  I left after the first contract cycle.  They always open the box on the phones they give you.  Good luck selling it at a good price.  Most buyers won't pay BNIB price once the box is opened.  On Kijiji I am seeing asking price below $400 for the A71.  With the low balling that happens all the time with Kijiji buyers, the final selling price could be a lot lower than asking.  The question you have to ask yourself is what do you do when the 24 months are up?  The deals on the website are for new activations only.  I would much rather play the long game and stick with this service where the discounts are continual and with time you can add to the referral base.  This is why I have been a Public Mobile customer for 4+ years and counting.  I am looking forward to getting the full loyalty reward.  

TheGx

@BearFBI :Naw, I don't agree with what you said about spend money to save money, maybe you got it mixed up with you gotta spend money to make money - instead I think save money to save money.

BearFBI

@TheGx in life you gotta spend money to save money. 

BearFBI

@TheGx Valid point. But your really not paying more. It's just 45$ a month (same price as PM's plan) Then factor in the credits and that's what you get. Really your paying less for more thats the whole point on why I made this thread. 

Now if you really don't want to go through the hassle then PM is perfectly fine. But if your the type of person to jump through hoops and save money this is a great option. 

For the people with years worth of PM credit. I wouldn't bother with this lol. If I knew about zoomer before though I probably would've went with them over public. Im curious about dot though so I wouldn't want to be in a contract just in case I wanna switch. 

TheGx

@BearFBI :Doubt it, besides, their bonuses require me to pay more to get more - I like paying less and using less, andI don't like to spend my time selling phones or anything on Kijiji.

BearFBI

@TheGx they give you and your friend 50$. They don't have much of a reward system like PM but they give a lotta bonuses. Probaly more bonuses than you could harvest rewards here in a lifetime.

TheGx

Do they give refer friends rewards like Public does? Being able to refer enough friends to eventually get free monthly service is best deal over the years the chance to refer 50+ friends and get free service can't be beat.

Need Help? Let's chat.