cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wishing for unlimited data

Tinner1982
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I really wish that we had the option to get and unlimited data plan I would be the first to sign up..... What do you all think?

50 REPLIES 50

Well I think everybody does understand that you can't use it to watch anything nor can you use VoIP on such connection. it is really about not being disconnected completely. I mean it should still beat dial up so you still can do a lot. I definitely wish we had it with pm 

Colinh90
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

trust me, the reduce speeds are hideous, you ain't going to be doing much at all, even trying to get a 3 minute YouTube video to load is going to cause big frustration. you won't be able to send GIFs over messenger or any other social media platform.

Colinh90

(with freedom, sure I was paying 13gigs of data for $65 a month but my highest peak was 8 gigs in my whole three years that I was with them), this is almost my first full month with public mobile and so far I've used close to 3Gigs, my renewal date is on the 23rd and I'll most likely use up to 2 more gigs between now and then. 

Colinh90

I'm fully aware that Rogers is offering unlimited data, but they're just copying what freedom did, they slow down your speed incredibly/hugely after using 10gb they're charging $75 a month but I only use between 3 and 8gigs of data anyhow so I think I'm going to stick with what I have now.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@stonechucker wrote:

@computergeek541  Wil Arnott is all over the commercials on TV advertising for Freedom.

I turn the channel when I can, I hate that actor (now).

DVR. I rarely watch live tv anymore. Ok cup final, Raptors final. Dang that's painful sitting through ads.

@computergeek541  Wil Arnott is all over the commercials on TV advertising for Freedom.

I turn the channel when I can, I hate that actor (now).

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@smp99 wrote:

Once you go over, you get unlimted data at reduced speeds. Still trying to get details on what that reduced speed looks like. 

@smp99 that reduced speed is 264 Kbps, which, quite frankly, would be quite slow.  

@smp99 wrote:

Come on PM - I know you can do better. 

265 Kbps is 1/4 of 1 Mbps, or 1/12th the speed of PM's throttled "3G" data plans.  No thank you!  I'd rather just pay for more data at the regular speed.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Ok - Bell and Rogers have just announced unlimited Mobile Data plans - with conditions

Rogers - $75 for 10GB, $95 for 20GB and $125 for 50GB. Bell is similar but look more expensive. 

Once you go over, you get unlimted data at reduced speeds. Still trying to get details on what that reduced speed looks like. 

Come on PM - I know you can do better. 

Felixbthe1
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

That's a great price point, Public Mobile should match that unlimited talk, text data plan.  🙂

@Felixbthe1 wrote:

Wind used to have unlimited talk,text and  data for $40 but were sold to Freedom Mobile which is now owned by Shaw. Public Mobile had a deal a few months back unlimited talk and text Canada wide with 5 Gigs of data 

Apparently chart is honoring the Mobilicity unlimited talk text and data for $25. I have seen people selling their legacy accounts.

Felixbthe1

Sweet, great price point at that price 

@Felixbthe1 wrote:

Wind used to have unlimited talk,text and  data for $40 but were sold to Freedom Mobile which is now owned by Shaw. Public Mobile had a deal a few months back unlimited talk and text Canada wide with 5 Gigs of data 

Freedom Mobile still does have "unlimited" data plans with talk and text for about the same price, and at even lower prices. They just don't agresively advertise the data as unlimited compared to old days.

Public Mobile still does have that plan with 5GB of data.

Felixbthe1

@coolvehiclefan wrote:

Rogers is gonna offer unlimited data starting tomorrow, i just read that on mobilesyrup

So who's ready for 5k plan:)

coolvehiclefan

Rogers is gonna offer unlimited data starting tomorrow, i just read that on mobilesyrup

Colinh90

i was with freedom till the 23rd of last month, i switched because freedom's network got umbareble  during the last few months that i was with them. sure, im not getting 13gigs for 65 anymore but atleast i have better service overall.

Sherbert
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Nobody every needs that much data but sure would be nice to not worry about your data. My hydro went out once for 4 days I was board played on jh iPad and my phone and my BF streamed through me. I had to buy more data and I have 8G 🤷‍♀️😁

@Colinh90 wrote:

It would be nice but it ain't gonna happen, at least not for a very very long time (if it does) but i don't see why they can't give us better deals like 20 gig plans for 50 bucks. 

It's a no-frills provider.  That is why you will not see a 20 gig plan for $50 here.  Go to Freedom, if they work where you wish to use your phone if you dearly need that much data.

Colinh90

It would be nice but it ain't gonna happen, at least not for a very very long time (if it does) but i don't see why they can't give us better deals like 20 gig plans for 50 bucks. 

karthiks

It will take a long while before something like "Reliance Jio" happens here in Canada.

Compared to global standards, mobile services in India were/are not as costly (although it could be to those in the country, depending on income, etc.). But the launch of Reliance Jio—a VoLTE-only telecom service owned by magnate Mukesh Ambani—absolutely shredded the competition. I'd like to think the word "disruptive" tends to be thrown around a lot these days, but Jio definitely was disruptive. Unlimited calls, unlimited texts and near-unlimited data (with a fair usage policy aka FUP or daily capped limit such as 2.5GB per day for 30 days) in a PAYG model which was soon followed by postpaid. Overnight, roaming became a thing of the past. One country, one plan. What's more - for those on dated or non-VoLTE devices, my HTC One M7 for instance (it was a 4G device but not VoLTE-ready), there was an app that helped them join the party pronto.

While I am not saying Jio is reaping profits already (they only formally launched late-2016 iirc), it is heading in the right direction with people either porting or ensuring they get themselves a Jio connection.

I think this won't be possible here in Canada just yet because (correct me if I am wrong) competition laws are stricter and, more importantly, not as many people. Quite frankly, when I first looked up mobile plans before moving here (Big 3; got to know about MVNOs later as I researched), I was given a realty check! Smiley LOL

@srlawren wrote:

@smp99 wrote:

Even Chatr prepaid has unlimited data at 64kbs once you use up your data allotment. I tested this for a month on a $25 data only plan

@smp9964kbps?  I haven't had anything that slow since 1998 when I left dialup behind for cable internet.  2G data speeds might have been fine when people had feature phones that used WAP for browsing a few kb per page, but even mobile-optimized sites in 2019 would be essentially unusable at 64kbps.  I guess you could use it for the occasional email or WhatsApp message but it would be so painful that I think I'd literally prefer to have the data just stop, as it does today.  

I guess the smartest thing would be to supply the speed adequate enough to load the account page and order a block of top up data:)

Well I would love it and it would make it a bit easier to convert chatr and freedom users. It is definitely a nice big bonus they have. Freedom slows it down to 256 kbps and many users claim that it doesn't kick in right away and they actually get almost another g of data at the full speed.I  really wouldn't know as I never went over with them, but it was nice not too worry about it

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@smp99 wrote:

Even Chatr prepaid has unlimited data at 64kbs once you use up your data allotment. I tested this for a month on a $25 data only plan

@smp9964kbps?  I haven't had anything that slow since 1998 when I left dialup behind for cable internet.  2G data speeds might have been fine when people had feature phones that used WAP for browsing a few kb per page, but even mobile-optimized sites in 2019 would be essentially unusable at 64kbps.  I guess you could use it for the occasional email or WhatsApp message but it would be so painful that I think I'd literally prefer to have the data just stop, as it does today.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

coolvehiclefan

Were talking about once you pass your data limit not before 

@smp99 wrote:

How about just for the $40 and over plans ..... (sure make it available only to auto-pay) ....

If you run out of data, it will continue at 128kbs until renewal, or you have the option to buy more at regular speed. 

Data is already throttled.  Throttling it more will be so slow. I would hate it.

coolvehiclefan

That's a great idea 

smp99

How about just for the $40 and over plans ..... (sure make it available only to auto-pay) ....

If you run out of data, it will continue at 128kbs until renewal, or you have the option to buy more at regular speed. 

Lacrossemom

If there was unlimited data i would get it too.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

I remember unlimited data texting and calling with mobilicity for 23, i still can't believe i let it go just like that

To be honest freedom and chatr never cut you off just slow you down to 2g or so and if you must have it faster at that moment then you pay for extra, that's also not that bad either. At least they give you some connection so you can log in to buy some more:) assuming you do have connection as they both are a bit spotty in some areas. 

I ran out of data once in a hospital, accidentally wiped out the cashe and paid for it dearly. Luckily i set up the warning, it was 4th day into my plan. I regret now not jumping on the next one but i was afraid to mess up muy renewal date.

Unlimited would be great, but i don't see it happening not in this market, slowing down beyond allowance wouldn't be bad either

coolvehiclefan

Yea but in Alberta u don't get service unless your in a city or town and it's annoying, I used to have chatr for my second data plan in addition to freedom mobile with 15gb of freedom network data and 2gb of full speed roaming data but I had to switch the second plan from Chatr to public mobile sadly and I'll miss the unlimited data but so far I'm loving public mobile on the 8.5gb 3G plan, I like that it's lte 

smp99

Need Help? Let's chat.