cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Did You Choose Public Mobile?

JLakerson
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I was originally with Koodo and was quite happy with them for awhile. The original plan I had was $40 for 2 GB of data and 500 minutes & messaging. During Covid, I switched to $50 for 5 GB of data and unlimited minutes & messaging. Recently, I decided that my phone bill was just too high and I didn't want to be paying $50. Then I heard about Public Mobile and saw their $30 plan. It's cheaper, it offers more than my original plan, and it's still owned by Telus. I also don't use data often so 2 GB was plenty for me. So far, everything has been good. What's your story? Why did you choose Public Mobile?

65 REPLIES 65

TessieBoo
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Thank you!  I plan on sticking around for a while.  A friend has already signed up too - she was paying $28/month for 40 minutes with no texting.  It didn’t take much to convince her to switch.  She took the $25 plan, and seems to be quite happy with it.

@Savebig2 wrote:

What type of free gifts??

This account was created mid-2019. As a $25 plan without any sort of promo deal.

Korth_0-1602633552737.png

I eventually downgraded to the $15 plan because, as you can see, I don't use much Talk or Data on this number.

$15 plan provides "100 Minutes Canada-Wide Talk" and "250 MB at 3G speed" which refresh every 30 days.

I purchased ($5) "500 min Canada-Wide Long Distance" and ($15) "1GB Data Add-on" because 100min/250MB isn't a lot, I wasn't certain how much I'd need at the time. Add-Ons stay attached to the account until fully used up and can always be purchased again if needed, plus $15/GB seemed like a good deal (normal price was $30/GB at the time).

But all of the other items are free gifts from PM to everyone. Almost everyone - some were restricted to certain provinces, etc - and some customers complained about no gifts. No promises made, but so many gifts in the past suggests more gifts in the future.

Savebig2

Ya well said - I’ve been hearing them advertise on the radio lately too 

good exposure - nice to be locked into cheap plans that no longer excite eh I’m on the 2GB for $30

Savebig2

What type of free gifts??

@TessieBoo 

You'll be even happier if you stick around long enough to collect Loyalty Rewards and even (randomly) some free gifts.

PM pays out better than others over the long term if you don't get distracted by the short-term enticements (sometimes attached to long-term contracts or "tabs") offered by competitors. Especially if you can gradually accumulate referrals.

nor123
New in Town / Nouveau en Ville

I chose public mobile because of the competitive plans it has across the board. A simple more for less! And who doesn't love that? I also love what they're about as a company, compared to the big big companies.

TessieBoo

My previous provider added an unexpected charge of $3./month just after I upgraded my plan to $35/month, unlimited calling across Canada, unlimited texts.  But,  I didn’t have any data.  So, I was ticked off and started researching other service providers.  I read all the reviews for PM, and decided to switch.  I got in on the $30 plan with 2GB data, and am a very happy camper!  I am now recommending PM to all my friends, and so far, one friend has joined.  Thank you PM

BBPHONE
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Joining PM years ago was the best thing I ever did. I use to be with Virgin/Bell and hated it. 

I give top star ratings to PM and all of the employees too.

scelford
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

But of course! My plan is now $1 cheaper for signing my wife up. She was briefly on a 20gb endless data plan with Telus which was great but the throttle speeds were too slow once we reached the 20gb limit, and you lost the ability to hot spot. We found a discount ISP that is giving us unlimited data for $35/month. I am on the $15 plan and she is on the $30/2gb plan with PM and it is working quite well for us right now.

@scelford wrote:

I was a fiercely loyal Koodo customer and I had a great plan - 10gb/month for $45.

As good as the plan was, I often needed more data and there was no plans that offered more data. My phone was my only connection to the internet at this point. When I finally got wifi I realized I could save a lot of money by switching to public mobile's $15 plan.

Data across Wifi is cheaper and it's faster than data across cellular.

It's the right choice if you usually do your data within range of fixed WiFi (at home, work, school, public hotspot, whatever).

But it's not the right choice if you need mobile data which is actually mobile. Communications at the local park. Map lookups while driving. Browser pricechecks while shopping, etc.

(Hope you signed your wife's account up as a referral and have AutoPay on both, just to skim a few more dollars off your monthly costs.)

scelford

I was a fiercely loyal Koodo customer and I had a great plan - 10gb/month for $45.

As good as the plan was, I often needed more data and there was no plans that offered more data. My phone was my only connection to the internet at this point. When I finally got wifi I realized I could save a lot of money by switching to public mobile's $15 plan. It was a great move and the Telus network is the best in Canada IMO. My wife and I now both have PM plans and wifi and we pay less than when we both had $45 plans with Koodo. AND public gets cheaper every year we stay!

MAGE

I can't remember how I came across it... it might have been a Google search. 

I knew I wanted something different ... c'est la vie. So when I found Public and saw their plans were a really good price for what you get, I was sold 🙂 Then I found out about the community here and rewards and things, which are just icing on the cake! 

Savebig2

Tough to beat. Eh 

Savebig2

Can’t beat that eh 

love PM 🙂

Savebig2

Why wouldn’t you tho for these deals 🙂

MarcGSR

They sure are!

Likely, because they don’t know about PM. I know I didn’t until about a week ago, haha.

These bargain bin carriers don’t advertise as much as the big 3 but that’s because the lack of advertising ($$$) means more savings passed down to us, the consumers. So we just have to do our part and spread the word aka use our referral code with everyone we know ; )

Savebig2

Ya I agree 🙂

was previously with Telus and cut bill in half... ppl are crazy not to switch over eh 

Vault91

Recommended to me by my brother and the affordability for the basics I needed sounded excellent. The rewards program is really neat as well. Overall a great package and I've been quite happy with the service so far

bubble

My old plan was $45 for 0.5 GB (I don't use much data), 500 minutes and texts with Rogers. Plus new phone upgrade every 2 years. Got tired of paying so much when there are better plans on the market. Realized that I can use my phone for at least 4 years and I'm not picky about which phone I have. Decided to switch after reading all the great reviews and comparing the discounts offered.

Desy0

I had been with Virgin Mobile the last 10+ years, I was switching my plan every couple to get better deals and then I found the perfect one on Public Mobile. It includes everything I need for almost half the price that I was paying!

MarcGSR

Did a lot of research on bargain bin service providers to save money and PM came out on top by a long shot!

Was previously with Bell for many, many years and paid $100+ for the wife and I. Now I pay much less for equal features and slightly more GB’s, wow!

Only trade off is the data is throttled on Telus’s network to 3Mbps vs Bell’s 100+Mbps.

#1 reason to go with PM is the price! Who doesn’t like saving some money ; )

sherrilynn

After years without a phone, i decided to finally join the "new" world. Public was recommended by family. Still not sure if I like being plugged in.

FrankUnit
New in Town / Nouveau en Ville

I was with Freedom Mobile. Had the 50$ deal for essentially the same thing as Public Mobile offered. But with all of the Roaming charges for when my phone would go all whacky and crazy would drive up that price to 70-80$ per month sometimes! My fiance and I went to see our new house before we close in November, also found out that my new town would be in a Roaming coverage zone....more $$$. I decided to switch right away to Public Mobile and drove right out to the house and was pleased to see I had not lost service the whole way. We then drove all the way to Toronto along the 7 and still had service the whole way.

Thank you Public Mobile, for real and stress free coverage and billing, much love, from your new customer and advocate, Franky. 🙂

LoveMyBolt

All depends on what you want to pay and what you think you actually use.

So for here...for the rewards!

dude65

@JLakerson ....The $25 prepaid plan gets you 500 MB of data plus another 500 MB if you have autopay enabled plus unlimited messages and CDN calling. The $30 prepaid plan gets you 1GB of data plus another 500 MB if you have autopay enabled  & for a time limited offer another 500MB plus unlimited messages and CDN calling. If your going to use all the data, the $30 plan is a better deal

JLakerson

@Jordiehopper 

What do you get with the $25 plan? I also signed up for the $30 plan as this seemed to be the best deal with unlimited messages and calling as well as 2 GB of data. The $25 plan if I remember correctly offers the unlimited messages and calling but only 1 GB of data. 

WeTheNorth

1. The network

2. The prices

3. The rewards

4. The community

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

It is all about the cost.  

Felixbthe1

Cheap plans and no contracts 🙂

@Jordiehopper wrote:

I was with bell. My plan was over 100$ a month. I switched to the 30$ plan. I wish I would of waited thought because now you get more with the 25$ plan but it is only for new customers.

I'm unaware of any recent promos specifically involving the $25 plan?

You can always login Self-Serve and choose a different plan (at next renewal) if you like, as @wetcoaster and @dabr advised above. One of the wonderful things about PM is that they never nickle and dime you with arbitrary little fees and charges when you change your account stuff around.

Don't be too disappointed if you missed out on a recent "new customers only" promo. Bad timing and it sucks, oh well. But you already save $70 per month on your PM plan vs your old Bell plan, staying with Bell longer then getting the PM promo probably would have added up to higher final cost out of your pocket anyways.

Need Help? Let's chat.