cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US MVNO's

Anonymous
Not applicable

So I was killing time investigating the little outfits providing service in the states.

And boy...I found a couple that sell through eBay and their own sites. One at $2.50 average 30 day term for a 360 day prepay. Another at $3.

The latter is more appealing as they offer free international calling to many countries. Wifi calling. A 60 day unpaid pause (my wording for when you don't pay for 90 days). And roaming. The add-ons are rather short. Like our 10 day add-ons but less. They have overages too.

But for an account and US number and a certain amount of pay as you go and low usage while in the states...sounds good to me.

The first one was Red Pocket Mobile. The second was Ultra Mobile.

8 REPLIES 8

I've become complacent.

Years ago, I sat down and learned about every cellular provider and every cellular option in Canada. Compared all their prices. Chose Public Mobile. Now I pay less than I did then. I've gotten soft, passive, comfortable.

But I expect that at some point in coming years, Public Mobile will change what I pay and what I get. If/When that happens, I'll do my research all over again, but this time the best deal in town might actually be from out of town.

Canadians do have a lot of options - if they subscribe to foreign providers and get in-Canada "roaming". Some of these options are already compelling, and (unlike the Big Three) they get a little cheaper and a little better every year.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@HALIMACS : Yeah I was keeping my focus <= $10. There were some others in the $5 area. Unlimited everything. They're just selling data. It is absolutely astounding what is on offer here. But here we are.

I wasn't really looking at year pre-pays per se.

I eliminated quite a few from the wikipedia MVNO list for whatever reasons. What network? What business focus? ie. I've fallen and I can't get up services.

I whittled it down to just a handful. $2.50, $3, $3.33, $5, $6.66 etc. I was of course only interested in low usage as seems to me my reality. And wanting to keep the cost outlay minimal. It came down to the two I noted. And really, when traveling or on vacation you don't really need a lot of telecom. VoIP apps are entirely useful too.

My other shortlisted ones were: Hello Mobile, Seawolf Wireless, Tello Mobile, it was also triggered by TextNow's SIM service in the states, Ting Mobile, yes Tracfone up until the texting, and finally Ultra Mobile.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@CountyDownIeUk : I tripped over one of the terms of service with TracFone saying something about not international texting. I'm like what? Next.

These were my notes:

$6.66 30 days (90 days), add-ons carry over, 1.44¢ call Canada, wifi calling, no non-US texting?, ILD access number, mms uses data

Most of these others do consume data for mms so whatever. Using an access number for international? Rather use the good ol' 011 or +.

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@Anonymous  And everyone else. 

I used to to do a lot of holidaying in USA and a lot of cross border shopping.  In those days we had Telus prepaid plans that didn’t offer USA service. 

So i bought into Tracfone from Walmart for $100 US a year. It was kind of expensive for an emergency phone for sure as it was rarely used while we were there. They had a lot of options then and they have made changes since. They would give you 10 800 numbers to associate with a Canadian number. It worked good. Now they offer BYOD and have made changes that one would have to review to see if would meet your needs. 

Then when I moved our land line to voip I thought I could use the Zoiper app with my voip service with a Wi-Fi hotspot while in USA ...... https://karmamobility.com ..... But it would only be good for outbound calling. 

Check them out. 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Anonymous 

Nice....this is just what @kb_mv needs for his little foray down south.

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

I suppose @esjliv 

Except @Anonymous was referencing 360 day prepaid plans i think. 

Seems more for those taking up more permanent occupancy in the US (or routinely traveling...)

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Anonymous  -👍

Have this info. at the ready when roaming issues start rolling in.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Thanks for reminding all of us how much we overpay for mobile services,  @Anonymous   🙂

Need Help? Let's chat.