cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telus charged $3 for 3G Usage Add-On.

funpig1
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Today, I assisted a senior family member with their Telus mobility account.  They have a $25 unlimited talk plan that is discounted $15 to $10 per month. 

Two things to note:

1.  This month, Telus started charging an extra $3 for a 3G usage add-on!  When I contacted Telus, they advised that Telus was charging the extra fee because the user was using an old 3G flip phone. I couldn't believe Telus was charging extra for old tech which they will eventually phase out.  To Telus' credit, when I told them the user is 85 with bad eyesight and unable to use new smartphone, they agreed to waive the fee.

2.  It has been 5 years since I switched to PM and I sometimes miss Telus' excellent customer service.  It was very easy to use their online chat.  Chat, not messaging!  About a 10 minute wait, with only 2 other customers queued up in front of me, and once connected an immediate text conversation with a live agent.  Compare this with Public Mobile:  It has been 3 weeks and I am still waiting for a response to my messages and tickets. At least, I save a few more bucks with PM without the song and dance with the Telus loyalty/retentions department.

3 REPLIES 3

funpig1

Update: I have been with Telus tech support with regards to weak coverage at my home location. During our discussions I asked tech support about the $3 3G surcharge.  They advised that it is costing Telus extra money to maintain and continue the old 3G technology. They also admitted that the extra surcharge may be an incentive for people with old 3G phones to upgrade their phones.

funpig1

@hTideGnow  with his discount, he is only paying $10 per month to Telus for unlimited calling on a month to month unlimited talk plan.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @funpig1 

interesting.  so, we got charge with older technology

but since your friend is using a flip phone, he does not need data, can he opt out? if not, then come to PM's $15 voice only plan

Need Help? Let's chat.