Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telus - Low Income Mobile Plan for Seniors

softech
Oracle
Oracle

Bravo to Telus for doing something Good for the Community 

https://www.telus.com/en/social-impact/connecting-canada/seniors/application#I4G?INTCMP=VAN_Internet...

Program details

3GB of data at high-speed and endless data at reduced speedRead legal footnote1

Unlimited Canada wide talk & text

Ongoing $25 per month rate

Bring your own device or redeem a $75 discount off the purchase of a phone of your choice from Mobile Klinik

15 REPLIES 15

Y'know, if that cop didn't confiscate my fake ID back when I was not 19, I'd eventually be able to use it again to score some seniors discounts ... just sayin' ...

@pkaraa 

Nope, you can do it online or print out the forms and fax it in. 😜

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Meow 

Did you miss my post? Telus does offer low income seniors a $15 plan that is better than the $15 plan offered by pm.

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

@Meow wrote:

$25 is still $25. If Telus wanted to do really something GOOD for low income seniors they should offer $10 plan comparable to PM's $15 plan or $100/year paid in advance for unlimited SMS in/out and incoming calls and 500 outgoing minutes (for dr appointments and such).

I was on a $100 a year plan. But minutes and LD was per call and you had to have a balance to handle those calls. No minutes were included. 

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Don’t get me wrong, Telus has been good to me. But they do hit seniors hard. My MIL is 94, almost blind and very deaf. She pays $90 for 15 speed internet and the odd time might exceed 9gb of data. She also has a useless, cost wise, prepaid Telus phone....she carries it religiously, but never uses it.    And probably can’t see it to use it. 

I have looked at the Telus seniors plan and you have to qualify income tax wise and you need a code to qualify  with Telus. <= I think...or I may be confused with the low income plan. 

I had a cell phone for work in my last years of employment and since I was not paying for it....I had no issues using it.  But I come from the era when an important message to my parents would be a telegraph delivered to the door. Phones came later in our house. LD was very expensive by the minute and poor quality. Hence I still stay away from LD....and today I still do...even with low cost LD and Canada wide calling. I tend to use the free option of FaceTime audio. Finally I am using my LD and mobile phone more and more. I must call my friends in Calgary and Okotoks to break this old haunting way of thinking. 

So what am I getting at.....seniors paying $25 for a Telus plan will likely only use it for emergency and use will be minimal. And is this plan a contract? Would it no be better to have the PM $15 plan with the odd $5 500 minute top up? And if senior cannot manage the account themselves...let a son or daughter help out? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@pkaraa : Telus used to have a purely pay as you go plan. Then they forced those customers on to a $3 plan that included a whole smashing 5 minutes and then pay as you go.

@Meow : Telus does have a $10 50/50 plan (last I looked) but it's a little more limited than our old $10 plan. But not bad. Still not worth it for the minimal usage my mothers have.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

$25 is still $25. If Telus wanted to do really something GOOD for low income seniors they should offer $10 plan comparable to PM's $15 plan or $100/year paid in advance for unlimited SMS in/out and incoming calls and 500 outgoing minutes (for dr appointments and such).

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@softech 

If the customer doesn't want data then telus offers an unlimited Canada wide calling and text plan for $15/month. You are responsible for any overages, roaming etc....

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

pkaraa
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Anonymous wrote:

The two mothers in my life are both on an old, holdover Telus $3 plan and pay as you go. They coincidentally have the same flip phone. Neither barely at all use their phones. A phone that could use that data and the data itself would be a complete waste.

$3 plan? Really when was that ...

Anonymous
Not applicable

The two mothers in my life are both on an old, holdover Telus $3 plan and pay as you go. They coincidentally have the same flip phone. Neither barely at all use their phones. A phone that could use that data and the data itself would be a complete waste.

pkaraa

So its not for the people who Do not get OAS.

pkaraa

@BKNS27 wrote: 

It seems that Telus changed their subsidized plan.

Do one needs to go to Telus Store or can it be done over the phone. 😉

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@softech 

It seems that Telus changed their subsidized plan.

In the past, they supplied a refurbished phone and a subsidized $25 3gb plan.

The current Senior plan that Telus is offering $75 credit towards a refurbished phone...this will not give you much of a choice.

The lowest price for a phone on Mobile Klinik is $99 for an iPhone 6S with 16gb internal storage. Senior will still need to shell out $24 plus taxes. Whereas in the past, it was free.

Zyl
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@softech wrote:

Bravo to Telus for doing something Good for the Community 

https://www.telus.com/en/social-impact/connecting-canada/seniors/application#I4G?INTCMP=VAN_Internet...

Program details

3GB of data at high-speed and endless data at reduced speedRead legal footnote1

Unlimited Canada wide talk & text

Ongoing $25 per month rate

Bring your own device or redeem a $75 discount off the purchase of a phone of your choice from Mobile Klinik

Still too expensive for low-income Seniors who don't need to talk a lot or use any apps on a cellphone.  The $15 plan from Public Mobile or Koodo is better I find.  

Need Help? Let's chat.