cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TELUS: Offer up to 15,000 data plans to facilitate Quebec return to class starting on May 4

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

This is good offer for students to study at home.. But it is not a good idea for going back to school. 

Are the schools have big classroom to allow 2 meter physical distancing? 

Are they going to create another outbreak situation similar to meat processing plant or care home?

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2020/04/29/2024534/0/en/Students-in-Quebec-to-gradually-r...

Our support for students adds to a list of TELUS programs, including the TELUS Mobility for Good program, offered in collaboration with the Centres Jeunesse du Québec, which aims to help hundreds of 18-year-olds by providing them with a free mobile phone and data plan for two years so they can stay connected. The program enables vulnerable young adults to maintain an essential link with the people, information and events that matter most to them. 

3 REPLIES 3

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Korth wrote:

I attend UFV and BCIT for some courses. Or at least I would, normally. They haven't shut the campuses down entirely, I think, but they have shut down enough classes to stretch and shuffle a lot of schedules around. I've basically been forced to change curricula, fill some slots with those stupid liberal arts and elective credits I keep pushing away, effectively delay everything by a full semester.

If covid wave2 circulates in the fall season then yet another semester will be wasted.

If covid continues indefinitely then delayed curricula continue indefinitely. Two semesters? Three? Ten?

There must be thresholds. How long can you continue to not go to school before you have to admit you're no longer a student, figure something else out? How long before someone else (government) decides it for you?

@Korth   That's interesting to hear from the perspective of someone with first hand experience as to how these distancing rules are being managed.  So obviously, it sounds like you won't be able to take the courses you want/need to complete in a reasonable time frame to get your degree. Since this would also be impacting other students in the same way, it really doesn't seem like there is a practical way to handle going back to school and completing the necessary coursework/semesters, at least for colleges/universities in the next few months.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

I attend UFV and BCIT for some courses. Or at least I would, normally. They haven't shut the campuses down entirely, I think, but they have shut down enough classes to stretch and shuffle a lot of schedules around. I've basically been forced to change curricula, fill some slots with those stupid liberal arts and elective credits I keep pushing away, effectively delay everything by a full semester.

If covid wave2 circulates in the fall season then yet another semester will be wasted.

If covid continues indefinitely then delayed curricula continue indefinitely. Two semesters? Three? Ten?

There must be thresholds. How long can you continue to not go to school before you have to admit you're no longer a student, figure something else out? How long before someone else (government) decides it for you?

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@popping   I think it's really good of Telus (and other business) when they make these goodwill gestures and I'm sure offering free data will help many students with limited finances.

However, you're right to ask how they are going to keep students/staff safe and manage the logistics of keeping everyone 2 meters apart.  It's a real nightmare for all the big industries and institutions on how to go about this, at least until we get a vaccine, which isn't going to be anytime soon unless we get very lucky, fingers crossed...

Need Help? Let's chat.