cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slim Case

rossputin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

It looks very likely I'll be picking up the Samsung Galaxy A52 5G.  $441 seems like a good price (unless one of you stops me in dramatic fashion while screaming "Nooooooooo!")

I hate the fact it's black.  Sooooo, that was my long winded way of asking who makes good slim solid coloured cases? A lovely orange is preferable (the colour. Not the fruit 🤪).

This caught my eye.

Honourable mentions: Neon green,

Neon red.

13 REPLIES 13

@srlawren 

Nice explanation.

@rossputin 

I originally got my A320 for reason #3. I was planning a trip to Europe and knew how cheap a local sim card is there and the ECU's free roaming agreements meant your local sim card works in most European countries. With free wifi almost everywhere I never ended up getting a local sim card because between that and the 3 different providers between my bf and I (telus, fido and freedom) the few times we were forced to text and a couple of quick calls all without a roaming plan cost us less than $10 total.

Fast forward to joining pm and my lousy freedom signal at home problem disappeared and no longer needing the data block on my telus flip phone because both accounts were with pm I took the sim out of the flip phone and relegated it as a back up/spare phone and put both pm sim cards in the A320. I had the $40/5gb plan (RBC Promo=$28/30 days)on one account and downgraded the other account to the $10 50/50 plan by my 2nd renewal and was already earning enough rewards on it to pay me.

Last year's Boxing week promo was too good to pass up and stacked with a London Drugs promotion I activated my "data account" that I let the bf use when he runs out of data when I have an active plan but I keep suspended usually for 88 days or so....since my $10 and now $15 accounts have oodles of data add ons currently on them.

If a similar promotion to last year is offered again with a free month credit and a 5gb bonus add on combined with the holiday gifts and possibly stack it with a CCS activation bundle or another London Drugs account credit offer you can downgrade a $50 or $60 plan on your first renewal after receiving the 5gb bonus data add on to the $15 plan.

Now you have 7gb of add on data, 500 international minutes, a $50 or $60 account credit coming along with the $10 bonus referral credit and the $30 bonus holiday referral credit for your original account. With a stacked promotions like CCS the $60 plan will cost $48 with a $70 credit and 5 months of autopay rewards ($10)=$80 you have 5 months of service on the $15 plan with or without suspension and your bonus add ons to supplement your main account whenever you need or want to reactivate it.

If you subtract the holiday bonus referral credit from your up front cost you only pay $18 to activate your "data account" and have 5 months of service. Suspend it smartly and you can easily make it to next December to hopefully add some more holiday gifts from pm!

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@rossputin wrote:

I don't think it's dual SIM.  How would that be beneficial?

In a nutshell: flexibility.  Honestly most people probably don't *need* Dual SIM (and if you did, you'd already know it).  

Here are a three common use cases, two of which works well with PM and one which does work but with a major limit:

1) Having multiple phone numbers (regardless of whether they are with one carrier or more than one)

Many people have a work/business number and a personal number, for example.  Or maybe one you give out only to family and close friends and a second personal line you give out more freely, etc.  This works fine with PM, and you could have either your primary line, secondary line, or both, with PM.  Dual SIM phones allow you to have both active at the same time for calls and SMS texting.

2) Getting some extra data

Maybe you have a PM plan that only includes a fairly limited data amount but you anticipate needing more and find a great deal on a data-only plan from another provider (example: a "tablet" plan from certain providers).  You could pop that SIM into your second slot.  You can only have one SIM or the other active for data at any given time, but you can easily switch back and forth between the two as needed (to manage your data usage between the two).  This works well with PM too.

2.5) a bonus option: hybrid of 1 and 2: you could potentially get yourself a talk+text+data plan from more than one provider and have both active for calling and texting and switch back and forth the active data SIM as needed.

3) For travel.  Some people only use one SIM at home but when they leave the country they like to pick up either a local SIM in their destination or an international "travel SIM" provider, and pop it in the second slot to help manage roaming costs from their home provider.  For example, most post-paid providers offer "roam like home"/"easy roam" type services that cost around $9-10 per day in the US or $13 or so per day internationally and give you access to your regular plan features but from another country.  Those costs can add up pretty quickly!  So maybe you only enable that SIM every few days to check for incoming text messages to help save on the cost (incoming SMS are free so that wouldn't cost you anything--though if you replied you'd activate a 24 hour period and get billed for a day) and use an inexpensive local SIM from the country(s) you're visiting to do most of your data, calling local businesses/friends/relatives, etc. 

This 3rd scenario is the one that's limited use with PM.  If you're a snowbird in the US for extended periods, it might be helpful as you can use a US provider (e.g. Mint or many others) for your day to day stuff, and activate PM US add-on(s) as/when needed.  However, of course since you can't get any service at all with PM outside of Canada and the USA, if you were travelling internationally, you could just leave your PM SIM at home and use a local one even with just one SIM slot.  

Hopefully that helps explain the advantage of multiple SIM.  Not everyone needs it, but it can be nice for the flexibility.  This is particularly true if you plan to keep your phone for extended periods of time, since your needs can change over time.  (Maybe you get a new job that requires you to travel frequently, or get hooked on some new game or social network or streaming and start needing a lot more mobile data, or don't want to carry a second phone for business use but keep a separate phone number.  Food for thought.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

rossputin

I don't think it's dual SIM.  How would that be beneficial?

@rossputin 

If you are getting the dual SIM model I think the A52 is a great choice. When compared to the Sony Xperia 10 III that has similar specs the camera totally outperforms the Sony. It cant compete with the low light capabilities of the Google Pixel 6 but you have your Google Pixel 3axl that you can still use in low light and at night. But to have the A52 with headphone jack or using Bluetooth for music depending on your needs should fulfill your headphone preferences.👍

Screenshot_20211206-005938.png

@Korth 

That's a very cool looking dude! Anyone know if he's single?😎

@rossputin 

I like the red one.

rossputin

@Korth that's a very cool looking holster!    But not interested in a holster.

@will13am I wonder if that $439 price you mention is for the 4G (which you linked to).

I bought one of these a couple years ago. Haven't had to buy a new case since. Not interested in covering cheap plastics with cheap plastic covers which don't really do anything to protect your phone anyhow.

The leather has aged a bit, but in a good way. Like a comfortable old jacket which just asserts a style of its own.

http://dudeliving.com/phone-holster/

rossputin

@will13am wrote:

That is not a bad price.  According to camel, the lowest price was $439 back in April 2021.  Any sales at the end of the year should be at a lower price though. 

I'm a student so Samsung gives an additional 10% any sales price.

price is good.. and you like the colour .. you know the type of case you want.. Go for it!!

rossputin

@softech wrote:

@rossputin   you link didn't work..

Fixed. 

And that is a mighty fine looking blue case! Although for the 4G.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

That is not a bad price.  According to camel, the lowest price was $439 back in April 2021.  Any sales at the end of the year should be at a lower price though. 

https://www.amazon.ca/Samsung-Galaxy-Unlocked-International-Awesome/dp/B08ZHNGKHB/ref=sr_1_2?crid=HK...

As for cases, there are lots of well priced options from eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=samsung+a52+case&_sacat=0&_sop=15

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@rossputin   you link didn't work..

I understand you want an orange. how about a blue Spigen case?

Spigen Thin Fit Designed for Samsung Galaxy A52 5G Case (2021) - Awesome Blue : Amazon.ca: Electroni...

XionBunny
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire
I bought this one my self, https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B09F2LL7PL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 , I wanted the added protection for my screen.
Need Help? Let's chat.