cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Is Public Mobile getting a US & Canada Plan?

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@WRXFiles1 

I have the TextNow SIM for free calling and texting while I am in the USA. It connects to the T-Mobile network.

IMG_0104.jpeg

4 REPLIES 4

WRXFiles1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

The challenge is, that is just no longer competitive.  I have a 90-day PM plan that works out to ~30/month, with more Canadian data than we use.  I have a T-Mobile pre-paid plan that is $15 USD, so call it ~20 Canadian.  All in, I have unlimited calls and texts across North America, plus data in both countries, and all in I'm at $50/month.

Public Mobile's Can/US plan is $65.  It would be convenient to have a single plan, but we just don't need all that data, and it's more expensive for one plan than for two!  The other benefit to T-Mobile is that we only need pay for it in the months we use it, and can go 90 days between paid months and still maintain the same physical numbers.

If Public Mobile would match Freedom Mobile with their $35 Canada US offer?  THAT would be an easy switch for us!

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

I have one too. Used it twice while in the US in November. Went 2 weeks apart and both times no problems. Had unlimited calling back to Canada along with texts and pictures. I friggin LOVE it. I am grabbing another one for fun. But with regards to buying data, to be honest, I don't see any value in buying it. Everywhere you go there is free wifi. Use a VPN and you're golden! The only real need to buy data is if you're nowhere near free wifi for extended periods of time, like at a cabin or something. 

This is exactly why Public Mobile is losing money. When you have companies like TextNow that offers a SIM card for $4.99USD and gives you free unlimited calling, texts and pictures, you have no need to purchase add-ons to use PM in the states. Public Mobile needs to focus on affordable and flexible Can/US plans.  

Some advice, if you can afford it, get a seperate phone for it. Just have the TextNow app on it and nothing else. The less the better. Only apps you really need.  Oh and bring a charger for it. 

@WRXFiles1 

You can get data at $39.99/30 days for 10gb data at 5G and will be reduced to unlimited 2G in the USA and Mexico.

IMG_0166.png

WRXFiles1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

That's a neat business model - thanks for sharing!  We'd always want data, but brilliant for those that just need calls and text

Need Help? Let's chat.