cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Spotify advertisements

on2wheels
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Not sure where to post this so we'll see how much activity it gets in the Lounge.

For those of us who live in Ontario, and use the free Spotify service (not paid subs), do you ever get french advertisements on spotify? 

If yes, how close do you live to the Quebec border?  I'm personally less than 100km from the border and I frequently get french ads when using spotify on mobile data.  No recent experience when on wifi.

So I'm wondering if it's anything to do with how close I live to QC or because of pub mobile in general, or do all Canadian wireless providers have to play french ads by law.

If there's any workarounds to change them please share!

4 REPLIES 4

on2wheels

Well I had the account changed to USA and I still hear french ads. So that's not the same fix as accounts in the EU.  Interesting how cell providers are geo-located to spotify and how Spotify assumes all Canadians want to hear french ads.

on2wheels

I don't know what they say in french so I can't confirm!  Apparently spotify accounts in Canada will get ads in both languages so I think I know what I have to do...

@on2wheels wrote:

Not sure where to post this so we'll see how much activity it gets in the Lounge.

For those of us who live in Ontario, and use the free Spotify service (not paid subs), do you ever get french advertisements on spotify? 

If yes, how close do you live to the Quebec border?  I'm personally less than 100km from the border and I frequently get french ads when using spotify on mobile data.  No recent experience when on wifi.

So I'm wondering if it's anything to do with how close I live to QC or because of pub mobile in general, or do all Canadian wireless providers have to play french ads by law.

If there's any workarounds to change them please share!

This is very likely based on IP address.  The IP address asigned by an provider can often be linked to a location that isn't nearby.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Are they entirely different ads that you don't see in English? Or are they the same outfit in both languages?

Need Help? Let's chat.