cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Mobile Community - Acceptable Topics of Discussion

allagelman
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Topics of Discussion. For example, the good and bad about PM and PM Community. Does Telus and PM as a company take any of the negative topics into real consideration to make their company better?

9 REPLIES 9

darkomega

@softech At this point, I think I'm just happier with Telus ignoring us and throwing the occasional bone, id rather save on my plan I mean since all of the third tear flankers have no 5G access or full LTE, paying less for less is a perfect trade-off IMO.

@darkomega wrote:

@softech If they do end up rolling us into koodo prepaid, we can all kiss the current pricing benefits goodbye,

You said it too loud..  Yes,  this is another added benefit.. rolling PM into Koodo cut cost on the backend and increase revenue  🙂   .. all those $0 invisible accounts will be all gone overnight.. LoL

darkomega

@softech If they do end up rolling us into koodo prepaid, we can all kiss the current pricing benefits goodbye, I don't see them keeping anything but the loyalty rewards if that, but in the larger picture it would make sense for them to do as it seems like this company is nothing more then a training ground for new Telus CRS's and the fact Telus had to legally keep the brand running for a period of time after acquiring them, and I think at this point that time frame has long since passed so they can do as they please now.

I still think it is a very high chance that PM will roll into Koodo prepaid.  But of course, this really depends on what  Bell and Roger do.  It will be a decision they all make together  (yes.. talk about competition.. there is only fake competition in Canada). 

I  think PM will fold based on my observation that there has been so few, almost none, decent promotion, to attract more new users here.   Also, there were different activities before for the Community.. What did we have this year?  The only thing I can think of this the 2 guess what is the next CPO phone special contest..  I don't see PM has done much to promote the brand or to expand the user base.  It does have some flash sale, the reoccuring 2GBBonus sale.. no i don't meant the 2GB being reoccuring, I meant the boring flash sale itself being reocurring. 

The year, i just see the way Telus running PM is simply to keep the light on..  Let's hope the light will still on next Christmas.   And hope I am wrong about the fate of PM.. 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@darkomega wrote:

@srlawren Sounds about right, I just really hope they don't wind up rolling public mobile into koodo prepaid someday and writing this all off.

@darkomega there is definitely more overlap in the product offerings between the two now than there was at most times in the past. Since Koodo introduced their starter plans, the $15 space is a lot muddier now, for example:  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/Emergency-plan/m-p/758967/highlight/tru....  I think PM still has a place and will for the foreseeable future, at least offering the perception of better value at the expense of frills.

Again, just my two cents, but I personally think that if Telus does decide to fold PM into Koodo at some point, it will be due to technical limitations.  For example, when they are backed into a corner to offer VoLTE once the 3G network is sunset (currently planned for end of 2025 to the best of my knowledge), it may not be worth the effort to bring that support to their prepaid back end.  But then, they'd also be writing off Koodo prepaid since the two share a system.  They could potentially do that and offer up exclusive post-paid migration plans of some kind and move everyone over.  I just don't think it's likely.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

darkomega

@srlawren Sounds about right, I just really hope they don't wind up rolling public mobile into koodo prepaid someday and writing this all off.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@darkomega wrote:

Honestly, I don't want public mobile to fade into obscurity they need to re-ignite the spark this provider once had, that's been my personal worry. 

@darkomega all appearances say the spark has been thoroughly extinguished.  I have zero inside info but personally think one (or both) of two things happened:

1) Telus execs were unhappy that PM was stealing too many enticing too many of their $$$ post-paid customers to move to $ plans (like I did in 2015) and pulled in the reins to keep PM viable as starter brand only

2) Execs from Bell/Rogers threatened an extended price war that would benefit nobody except us consumers and they mutually agreed to a cease-fire and to back off.

I suspect both, but again this is all just my personal thoughts.  There could be far more to it.

EDIT: fixed copy and paste error 😉

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

darkomega

Honestly, I don't want public mobile to fade into obscurity they need to re-ignite the spark this provider once had, that's been my personal worry. 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@allagelman 

Despite being a former long time telus mobile customer and current telus home services customer I have no idea what telus thinks or does...

But public mobile absolutely! They do honestly listen to its customer base...although pre-covid they used to actively seek customer and community feedback on a monthly basis. But they have reversed poor marketing decisions, lowered prices, increased plan data allotments, increased staffing levels to a point that you can get customer support much faster than you can by picking up your phone.

But all of this has come at a cost....pm is much more mundane...its a follower not an industry leader. It's no longer unique and irreverent with silly contests, massive referral drives, interesting promotions and an enthusiastic, engaged and energized community. While still effective and essential to its online only business model the community has become less curious.

Rather than really wanting to problem solve and troubleshoot issues and take pride in the community's ability to not rely on pm's paid employees to resolve issues that do not require account access.....more and more members simply copy information readily available on the website already or just point the way to the customer support desk.

That truly saddens me....because what used to make this community so vibrant and diverse and unique is now becoming much more like every other boring mobile provider's communities. "You need customer support. Please follow the green line to Simple--Simon or the blue line to your private messages or the yellow line to the live chat for activations and if you go off topic or crack a joke you are getting red lined straight to the lounge!

The community was so much more exciting in the teen years! But now that we're in the twenty somethings the community is conforming like every other adult. Sure there is still a few rebels among us but it ain't what it used to be...sigh....the less engaged the community becomes the less public mobile will want to listen to them. I mean heck if they are just repeating the same information that pm already provides then pm doesn't need feedback from themselves....now do they?!!🤔

Need Help? Let's chat.