cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More to Know, "Telus (PM) released 5G Standalone Today"

fixin
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Edit: Just found out that @Sansan already reported on this article. Please check out his article also!

Today is a short read and interesting on Public Mobile and Telus customers today.

Original Link: https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/2024/01/22/telus-5g-standalone-network-canada/

Telus Mobility has released their 5G standalone network (True 5G not based on 4G LTE). Customers should be getting the option soon to enable the feature. Ericsson and Telus were in the planning for the upgrade for a while now, and all Telus (Not Bell) towers have the feature.

Quick Question, do you have the Standalone option on your Phone on Public Mobile, Koodo, or Telus? I am with Public Mobile on 5G and I don't have 5G SA option yet, will it be enabled in the background like VoLTE?

8 REPLIES 8

fixin

@Handy1 - I hear people with a couple year old Bell SIM cards and they get a new phone they get the Standalone option.

Even though Telus or any Canadian cell phone company has no VoNR (Voice Over 5G) so you will still get kicked down to NSA, but for data speeds this is a major boost in order to get to Millimetre Wave 5G, though it will suck while in a building.

@fixin  What I find funny thou is that when reading about the stand alone says improve battery faster speed and better call quality . But not I have option and it say it may drain battery faster and have worse call reception and impact data so it’s a lot of mixed messaging with it not sure I’ve noticed any difference and the one speed test I did was around 668mbs so that has really improved I don’t know but I’m happy to have the option either way 

fixin

@Handy1 - That's awesome!

@fixin  UPDATE  New free sim card from Telus and I get the stand alone option 

Handy1_0-1706225685664.png

fixin

@Handy1 - If you go into iPhone Dialpad " *3001#12345#* " You'll get the information. When I am in a large city in my area (1M+), I will see NSA (1) and SA at once. This means that you have SA Tower 5G Connected but NSA Is what you are using.

@fixin  I’m guessing this will only be a Telus feature to help justify the high price of their plans but time will tell fingers crossed . But based on the fact my PM sim doesn’t show the option at all 

fixin

@Handy1  -  Mine isn't greyed, it doesn't even show the option! I also got a new SIM card in November. I also checked the coverage on the Telus map and it says that my area somewhat has 5G SA! 🙂 It should expand because I see on Telus coverage map that they are testing specific towers for 5G in the west.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@fixin  That’s interesting I think you need a special SIM card for the stand alone option as the option on my phone but greyed out saying my sim dosent support it 

Handy1_0-1705968071846.png

Need Help? Let's chat.