cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Level Up Your Phone With Youmail

JesseF
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi all,

I'm curious. Is anyone here using Youmail?

In my personal network, no one is, and unfortunately, no one's willing to. I have a hard time understanding why.

It offers a lot, from the trivial but fun to the actually useful. For me, being able to record custom greetings tailored for specific people in my contacts is a lot of fun, and for them it's a nice treat when they decide to call me. Being able to upload greetings directly from the internet as an MP3 file makes the experience even more fun, as someone who enjoys messing around with audio projects.

As I see it, it's 2023, so why not have some fun? The usual, "Hi, you've reached X. Please leave your name and number and I'll get back to you as soon as possible," is nothing but filler. After all, almost all cellular carriers offer caller ID, so unless you want someone to call a different number, I don't see why it's necessary to leave one to fill time.

But in the category of more useful, Youmail offers more improved caller ID and can screen out spam calls. The call blocking features are extremely robust and configurable, so you can block any range of activity.

Plus, when calls are reported as scams, Youmail makes sure that information is relayed to authorities and the appropriate action is taken.

Youmail is a free service with advertisements available on both Android and iOS, but you can upgrade for extra functionality, extra phone numbers and to remove ads.

If you try it, I'm very curious what your thoughts are. If you've used it before, I'd love to hear the same.

3 REPLIES 3

TheGx
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I rather use free privacy email services like TutaMail(Tutanota) and ProtonMail...

JesseF
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

From what I saw online, a lot of the reviews seemed to be because Youmail and how it works are misunderstood. I.e, deleting the app itself doesn't deactivate the call forwarding the voicemail service itself uses.

You are correct that it uses conditional call forwarding, though for my part I haven't noticed any issues with the service since I activated it with PM.

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@JesseF    I looked at some reviews via Google and they're not always positive, but one thing I wonder about is that I get the impression it needs conditional forwarding, which I believe is at least partly broken on PM (am I right that it's currently only working for VoLTE phones?).  

On iPhones that have ios17 the Live Voicemail seems to work quite well, the only downside to that I've found so far is that it is easy to accidentally touch the send to Live Voicemail button when reaching for the ringing phone.  In theory one should still be able pick up the call while the caller is leaving a message but the time it happened to me the caller had just hung up upon getting the Apple voicemail announcement. 

Need Help? Let's chat.