cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline ported to Cell Line - now what?

Frank_M
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

This is not a Public issue but maybe someone can help.

I ported a (226) area code from an internet land line to Public probably 5 years back.

Once in a while when I put my number into a service for verifying/sending texts it will say I cannot use a landline for texting.

This has not been a landline for years but I still occasionally get this and as two factor authorization gets more and more prominent I am starting to get worried.

Who or where do I go to get this changed from land line status to cell line status? Is there even such a thing and why do some apps keep telling me this is a land line?

3 REPLIES 3

Frank_M

Also, getting a new number is not an option, I have four lines starting 226-240-xxxxx and they are published, on cards etc so changing would be difficult.

Frank_M

Mine is 226-240-xxxx

I'm hoping the 240 is mixed use because it seems to work 95% of the time

fixin1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Frank_M - You would have to get a new phone number because the service the MFA accounts are using knows what CO Code is a landline or cell (For Example: 226 - 886 - XXXX is a cell line, the service allows SMS to work but if it is 226 - 887 - XXXX it may be that it is a landline and block SMS 2FA and only allow for calling codes as it thinks it is still a landline.)

There are public services on the web that can see wether the middle number row XXX - 000 - XXXX is stated from the provider as landline, mixed use, or cellular.

Need Help? Let's chat.