cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kids and Adults learn something new

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

Hey, @darlicious here's something to kill some time too!

Since many kids are or will be home from school,  sharing an awesome list of ideas from a parent who now homeschools because of Covid19. Or those for adults who are currently self-isolating, and never got around to learning that new course in project management, or designing in Illustrator (PM if you want my YouTube channel!) or learning about software in Python, game making, or human resources.

Online resources:
- BrainPop
- Curiosity Stream
- Tynker
- Outschool
- Udemy
- iReady
- Beast Academy (Math)
- Khan Academy
- Creative Bug
- Discovery Education

YouTube Channels:
- Crash Course Kids
- Science Channel
- SciShow Kids
- National  Geographic Kids
- Free School
- Geography Focus
- TheBrainScoop
- SciShow
- Kids Learning Tube
- Geeek Gurl Diaries
- Mike Likes Science
- Science Max
- SoulPancake

Lots of board games, library books (and Kindle), tinkering/upcycling with household junk, etc.
 Some resources to help with kids at home: 

*Scholastic has created a free learn-from-home site with 20+ days of learning and activities.

*Pretend to travel the world..Go on a virtual tour of these 12 famous museums. 

*This is the awesome free curriculum that we use. Everything from preschool activities to 12th grade is here!

*List of thinking games by grade: https://allinonehomeschool.com/thinking/

**More awesome free learning websites that we like to use**

For gaming kids: learn how to make online games with Scratch
https://scratch.mit.edu/

For adults who want to learn too:

Below is a list of eLearning content providers.  Some are free or charge small to large fees for certification! Consider some of these schools before looking into web development,  UI or UX schools for additional learning:

Future Learn

CodeCourse

Springboard

Class Central

W3Schools

Tutorialzine

EdX

UX Tree

52 Weeks of UX

UX Crash Course

Career Foundry

Skillsoft

Udacity

Udemy

Khan Academy

Hack Design

MIT’s OpenCourseWare

Open 2 Study

Code School

Treehouse

Codecademy

The Team W
UX Academy

Coursera

Degreed

General Assembly

Lynda.com

Pluralsight

Digital Tutors

TutsPlus

42courses

DesignLab

The Interaction Design Foundation

UX Reviewer

Don't Fear the Internet

WPTuts

Sitepoint

Codrops

WebDesignTuts

Bento

KIllerPHP

Top Certification for UX Design

National Emergency Library,  collection of books that supports emergency remote teaching, research activities, independent scholarship, and intellectual stimulation while universities, schools, training centers, and libraries are closed.

Your local library may offer you eBooks to download. I know my local library are offering 17 eBooks. Check your local library for details

Amazon is currently offering a certain amount of free books as long as you have an Amazon. account. I have a prime account, and I can't verify this though. Please let me know, and I can edit this post.

Wanna watch some movies or tv shows. I find that if you google 123 movies, it is a fairly decent set-up. My two kids just watch Onward and Spies in Disguise, streaming in HD. Problem is, when you first launch it, I launch in incognito mode, I still get about 5-8 pop-up tabs pertaining to online gambling, dating sites to x-rated stuff. I will close those off and am able to click on play to the movie. Am on a mac, so I also use Safari, but when I close off my incognito or private tab, the history goes with it too (aka those pesky pop-up windows). Is this site illegal? Yes, I believe so. Hence, why I say just google 123 movies in your search bar. I was using https://www1.123moviesto.to/.

And whatever you do, don't install anything that pop-ups on 123 movies. You don't need too.

Please feel free to share this with anyone who you think may benefit from this
11 REPLIES 11

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@jamesw 

Yahtzee! Is a great one as is Sorry! for teaching social interaction and conflict resolution. It also teaches you which friends did not learn these concepts as children. Scrabble or "Squabble" as my late partner used to call it.....Boggle and Probe for spelling and vocabulary and Monopoly, Life and Stock Ticker for financial management, investing, risk vs reward and gambling.

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #

@mpcdesign   Lol....maybe for the cleaning but if you check out trying new recipes thread in the lounge you will see I know a thing or two about cooking.....

@darlicious, well, if you want, you could adopt me? Am unemployed, toilet-trained, but I can cook and clean! Hehe.

@mpcdesign  Yeah yeah....i helped raise my grand nephew for 10 years (every weekend except March break and summer when he spent time with his dad) I'm good with that....and my parents are good with one grandchild from us three girls.

@darlicious, there are some things that even adults can do too. It's in the latter half of that post. Did you know a woman named, Rajo Devi gave birth at 70 to her first child in 2008 in India. She is the oldest woman recorded to give birth.....so, it's that impossible. I wouldn't want a kid at 70, My goodness, what was she thinking?! Am struggling to keep up with my 3 and 6 year olds!

@mpcdesign  I don't know about that.....you have kids and not adult kids. I don't have any children but if I did they would be adults by now.....and while still biologically possible to have them...that would be an awfully big surprise! Fate, God or Nature....whatever ones belief system is lays out a path for you in life and having my own children isn't one of them. I think or hope or both......?!!

@Sarabear , Scratch was something I helped out with Electronic Arts, while mentoring with Canada Learning Code, if and when everything is back to normal, do check out free classes in your neighbourhood from these guys. It's free or whatever you can afford. 

@darlicious, even an old dog like us can still learn! I am not saying you are old either. I am probably older than you by a couple of years!

@Dolphin1, hopefully, something will spark your interest

Sarabear
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thank you soo much this has been such a helpful resource to find for keeping my son entertained, poor guy is an only kid stuck home with his parents, hes excited to start learning new stuff in scratch!

Dolphin1
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Thank you for all these great resources.  I will definitely look into a few.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@mpcdesign  Great post! I'll pass it on and check out some of the offerings.

Need Help? Let's chat.