cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Public mobile is the cheapest for 5 gig data plan in Canada ?

Ehabelgendy10
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Is Public mobile is the cheapest for 5 gig data plan in Canada ?  please advice 

7 REPLIES 7

@HALIMACS wrote:

@Ehabelgendy10 , for a user in my 'group' of users, it certainly is.

They got activated when Public Mobile offered a 2GBBONUS (recurring forever, not a limited 6-mo or 12-mo duration) so long as they remained on a $35 or higher plan.

She pays $33 / month for 5GB of data (on auto-pay so a $2/cycle discount), has unlimited Canada-wide calling, and unlimited international texting.

I haven't shopped around - anyone knows of anything better?

Rewards - including $2 AutoPay - are no longer an option for new customers. A $35 plan will cost them $35. Forever.

They do get Points instead. 1 point ($1) for every $20 they spend, effectively a $1.75 discount every month (with or without AutoPay). Although Points can't be redeemed until you've accumulated enough of them to buy the cheapest things PM sells. After a little more than a year, you automatically have enough Points to buy a "free" month on your $35 plan, if you choose.

Public Mobile's $35 plan can buy 5GB (2.5GB, plus 500MB with AutoPay, plus 2GB if you use a valid new activation promo code). With no activation fees, no setup fees, no number porting fees, etc. And (usually) the lowest-priced SIMs.

Public Mobile is strictly prepaid service, no contracts, no obligations, no conditions (aside from any can't-switch-plan conditions attached to some promos). So people can come and go any time as they choose, maybe grab the best deal they can find right now while always hunting for a better deal elsewhere.

The other third-tier providers have comparable plans and prices, overall. But none of them have any sort of Rewards or Points system which translates into real discounts and savings. And none of them have ever given their subscribers free gifts (long distance and data add-ons).

From time to time the other providers run their own promos and these are often better deals than what Public Mobile offers right now.

Public Mobile does not support LTE or 5G data speeds, eSIM compatibility, or VoLTE. If you must have those things then you simply must look elsewhere.

Different networks have different coverage. All about the same in most cities. But quite variable in many rural areas. If one provider has coverage in your area but another doesn't then your choice has already been made for you, the best deal is the one which actually works.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Ehabelgendy10 

Yes according to a Planhub, it is the lowest 5gb plan with unlimited calling.

Enter the number of gb, your province and talk time.

https://www.planhub.ca/ 

You can also pick 3gb of data plus the free bonus 2gb promo for slightly lower price.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Ehabelgendy10 , for a user in my 'group' of users, it certainly is.

They got activated when Public Mobile offered a 2GBBONUS (recurring forever, not a limited 6-mo or 12-mo duration) so long as they remained on a $35 or higher plan.

She pays $33 / month for 5GB of data (on auto-pay so a $2/cycle discount), has unlimited Canada-wide calling, and unlimited international texting.

I haven't shopped around - anyone knows of anything better?

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Ehabelgendy10 wrote:

Is Public mobile is the cheapest for 5 gig data plan in Canada ?  please advice 

@Ehabelgendy10  -  No 

edit, well...I guess I will say with the rewards you may be able to gain savings in time.

Where abouts are you located (if you want to share, province?) If not, I'd say show around.

But, I will say it is very easy to change plans with Public Mobile. And, I feel the lower data buckets may be a better deal than most.

But all provider's may have their promotions now and then to lure those customers with an attractive plan. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Um...shop around. Look at all the providers and have some awareness of current promos and then decide if one provider or another has a better value for 5gigs of data.

Not many other providers have points earning capabilities like this place though.

WoozyPolarBear
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

In my opinion, if you are looking for anything more than 2 GB, then you are better off looking towards the 2nd tier providers like Koodo, Virgin, Fido. Public mobile is best for people who rarely need mobile data, and really just use their line for phone and text, and connect to WiFi otherwise. 

Meow
Mayor / Maire

Frankly speaking, I would do My due diligence research regarding any plan.

I am sure guys will provide proper advise but I would not blindly follow it.

Need Help? Let's chat.