cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Lenny still alive?

Natsu
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

About a year ago @Nezgar posted an update to his Lenny setup, but it does not seem to be working any more, and, in fact, none of the SIP URLs for connections with Lenny that at one time or another had been shared on the web seem to be working any longer. Since I use VoIP myself, I am curious to hear if Lenny is still alive and doing his good work somewhere...

5 REPLIES 5

@Natsu wrote:

Today I tried to reach Lenny at sip:lenny@lenny.penguintek.net (this did not work, my dialer said "not found") and at 1-423-468-4041 (this got me connected). Of course, I I would want to forward spam calls from my VoIP number without dialing a number and incurring additional charges. 🙂

A workaround to get it to work via SIP URI from voip.ms as of Jan 4, 2023 is to use the URI "lenny@sip.lenny.penguintek.net". There's something up with the SIP SRV records for the parent domain -- this is being discussed with the operator of that server on this dslreports.com forum: https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r33579031-Lenny

Natsu

@Nezgar 

Thanks for the update. I recently tried the number you had listed in your post last February but got only endless ringing at the time, and since all of the other access points I knew of also gave me either endless ringing, or a fast busy signal, or just dead silence, I followed up with the question in this forum and made a reference to that post of yours.

Today I tried to reach Lenny at sip:lenny@lenny.penguintek.net (this did not work, my dialer said "not found") and at 1-423-468-4041 (this got me connected). Of course, I I would want to forward spam calls from my VoIP number without dialing a number and incurring additional charges. 🙂

About hosting a PBX: that is something I may try one day, as well (years ago I used to run my own mail server and electronic BBS from home and also installed a mail server at the office where I worked.)

And you are, of course right about "URI" being used in the context of SIP - usually. Although to me "sip:" appears  to be a locator like "mailto:"... 🙂

SIP uses URI's not URL's 😉

My Canadian number linked in the above post is currently relying on a couple publicly available instances of Lenny, primarily the one hosted by https://lenny.penguintek.net/ which seems to have the best voice detection, as well as a publicly available recordings link 🙂

Eventually I'd like to host one on my own custom built PBX, but it's on a fairly long to-do/to-learn list... I recently scored a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ which supposedly would make a great host for an Asterisk/FreePbx or some sort, but a ways to go!!  It would let me save costs to self-host on my own PBX too, plus open the doors to do a bunch of other things too... wouldn't it be cool to be able to call your personal service number to turn lights on/off, unlock the front door, and open the garage door? 😛

Natsu

@HALIMACS

Oh, on Youtube, I see. So some people must be hosting him.

The question is, where are the active phone numbers or (better) SIP URLs to reach him? 🙂

Need Help? Let's chat.