cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to hear your Android review

ashley4twenty
New Neighbour / Nouveau Voisin

I want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly of PERSONAL expierences with ANY make, model, or version of ANDROID devices. 

Whatever you want to share, past, present, good or bad will be a valued voice.

**PLEASE KEEP THIS AN ANDROID ONLY THREAD**

**My personal interest is more-so to hear about current Android makes and models to help me decide my next upgrade.**

**My last 3 phones were all LG phones and I loved them, but I'm ready for something new as long as it's Android.**

**I have nothing against Apple, I have no interest in their products.**

33 REPLIES 33

@ashleyb wrote:

@will13amWhich Xiaomi do you have? Ive been checking out the Xiaomi Mi A2 but unsure where i could order from that is safe.

I don't have any Xiaomi phones that are being used by myself out family members.  I bought a note 5 for a friend as a gift.  To make sure everything was working, I got a chance to test drive it for a couple of weeks before I delivered it.  The phone works great.  Battery life is fantastic with a 4000 mAh battery.  Recently, a friend at work for a Mi A2.  The CPU is a slight upgrade to the note 5.  Unfortunately the battery is smaller.  Android one will likely help a lot on the battery usage front.  I have my sights set on the pocofone and the Mi8 for personal use.  When getting a Xiaomi, be careful to get the global version which will have band 4 LTE (1700Mhz).  The Mi8 seems to have the most North by American bands with some 700 Mhz capability.  With respect to where to buy, I suggest AliExpress xiaomi global store.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/3625055

ashleyb
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Unfourtunately i fell into the Samsung phase. I have been getting a new Samsung device since the s2 came out. I'm at the s9 and to be honest NOT much has changed. They are good quality phones but the price tag that comes along with them are pretty steep if your looking for a phone that you don't have to baby and be careful with.

I would personally suggest the Mi A2. I have been doing alot of research on this phone and it looks like a decently priced quality phone. Im tempted to get rid of my s9 and just go with something like this. I am not a gamer by any means, i don't need my phone for much besides work emails, texting, phone calling and the basics.

Hopefully everyone was able to answer you but i agree with most of the comments about the higher end phones not being worth it. You can get something just as good for a cheaper price point!

ashleyb
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@will13amWhich Xiaomi do you have? Ive been checking out the Xiaomi Mi A2 but unsure where i could order from that is safe.

Effort
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@srlawren wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@Effort wrote:

The only real thing that I'm missing is an adblocker that isn't local VPN based. I can use uBlock Origin on Firefox so I'm good for webpages. For apps, I can block access to data on app to app basis so I won't get ads that way. For online apps with ads like imgur, mmajunkie, or CBC that has no IAP to remove them, I used Lucky Patcher to patch out the ads. I still get a blank spot where ads used to be but I don't have ads that waste data.

Being able to firewall apps and using host file ad-blocking is a very important reason why I like to run third party roms with root.  Stock roms don't play nice with root which breaks OTAs.  My wife is a fantastic candidate for click bait and so the only way of ensuring trouble free user experience is running afwall and adaway. 

@Effort any reason you don't want local VPN based?  I use Blokada https://blokada.org/ which is local VPN based but isn't a full VPN, it just blocks out ads and trackers via DNS white and blacklisting.  I'm not sure if you've tried it but it's pretty sweet.  And doesn't require root like @will13am is talking about.  

You can't use an actual VPN when you're using a local one for adblocking purposes.

@srlawren wrote:

@will13am wrote:

On a different note, it looks like Xiaomi is coming to North America.  I hope they bring the Asian pricing as well.  I hate to see them become another one plus. 

https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/11/06/xiaomi-us-canada-phone-event/

@will13am I bet most North Americans would gladly pay a little extra for a guarantee of not being included in the ad program on their new Xiaomi phones.

EDIT: I know you don't like how OnePlus has evolved.  For me, they are still the "sweet spot" between bargain phones and expensive flagships.  They have top-tier performance even if they lack a few features most of which I don't care about (wireless charging, the absolute best cameras) and really only one I'd like to see (official IP rating, okay and maybe a slightly larger battery).  They include an alert slider which I can't figure out why everyone doesn't include--it's super handy and I literally use it daily.  And their out-of-the-box no-need-to-root-and-custom-ROM take on Android is--in my humble opinion--the best in the business.  

Android one is an option. 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@will13am wrote:

On a different note, it looks like Xiaomi is coming to North America.  I hope they bring the Asian pricing as well.  I hate to see them become another one plus. 

@will13am I bet most North Americans would gladly pay a little extra for a guarantee of not being included in the ad program on their new Xiaomi phones.

EDIT: I know you don't like how OnePlus has evolved.  For me, they are still the "sweet spot" between bargain phones and expensive flagships.  They have top-tier performance even if they lack a few features most of which I don't care about (wireless charging, the absolute best cameras) and really only one I'd like to see (official IP rating, okay and maybe a slightly larger battery).  They include an alert slider which I can't figure out why everyone doesn't include--it's super handy and I literally use it daily.  And their out-of-the-box no-need-to-root-and-custom-ROM take on Android is--in my humble opinion--the best in the business.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

srlawren

@will13am wrote:

@Effort wrote:

The only real thing that I'm missing is an adblocker that isn't local VPN based. I can use uBlock Origin on Firefox so I'm good for webpages. For apps, I can block access to data on app to app basis so I won't get ads that way. For online apps with ads like imgur, mmajunkie, or CBC that has no IAP to remove them, I used Lucky Patcher to patch out the ads. I still get a blank spot where ads used to be but I don't have ads that waste data.

Being able to firewall apps and using host file ad-blocking is a very important reason why I like to run third party roms with root.  Stock roms don't play nice with root which breaks OTAs.  My wife is a fantastic candidate for click bait and so the only way of ensuring trouble free user experience is running afwall and adaway. 

@Effort any reason you don't want local VPN based?  I use Blokada https://blokada.org/ which is local VPN based but isn't a full VPN, it just blocks out ads and trackers via DNS white and blacklisting.  I'm not sure if you've tried it but it's pretty sweet.  And doesn't require root like @will13am is talking about.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Effort wrote:

I'm thoroughly happy with OxygenOS and Oneplus launcher, even without root. The amount of customization Oxygen Launcher has is pretty on par of what I had on my old phone with root and custom launcher.

On my old Moto X 2014, it was pretty mandatory to root and install a custom launcher because of how lacking it was. I ended up rooting with Magisk, installing Xposed, GravityBox, MinMinGuard, Greenify, and AdAway for the modules. Then buying Nova Launcher and used that until I bought my Oneplus 5t.

@NDesai wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@NDesai wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

@will13am wrote:

I respectfully disagree.  You get way more value from these off brands.  At the end of the day, all I need is the bootloader to be unlockable and xda support.  If you ever used lineage OS, you will learn that it is a replacement for stock android.  People who buy the Public Mobile service are generally on a tight budget or budget oriented even if they can afford more.  Talking about buying $1000 phone is quite off topic to these customers. 

@will13am alright, my turn to respectfully disagree.  Just because someone doesn't want to spend a lot month to month on their phone service doesn't necessarily mean they won't want to splurge on a nice phone every 2 or 3 years.  However, I guess I agree that on average PM customers probably have a lower threshold on what they would want to spend on hardware.  That said, not everyone wants to mess around with 3rd party ROMs.  If you're into that and have the time and knowledge to do so, then fine, buy the hardware at the price point that most appeals to you.  For most, I think the OS does have to play a part in the decision process.  I think in 2018 you'd find that people running custom ROMs are in the minority of Android users, not majority.

Exactly! Most people want a phone that will last them a few years. Going with a cheap option and relying on xda support is not always ideal as users have to know things and keep up with the ROM status. Additionally, the devs can drop the support whenever they like. You can try to get the exact same thing as what Pixel users have, but there will always be a few things that you will not be able to get. Plus Google has been locking down a few things on Pie. I have not seen a launcher that supports android pie yet that makes a launcher similar to Pixel Launcher. In future, it will not be easy for devs to make customizable things. So keep that in mind as well. 

Okay, what ever you say.  I still get lineage OS on a zenfone 2.  LeEco has gone under, lineage still supports their phones.  The One plus one still has lineage support.  Sometimes support goes into extra innings via unofficial lineage forks.  Do I need exactly 100% of what a pixel phone gets from Google, probably not.  As long as the bug fixes and security updates keep coming, I am happy.  I will accept that custom roms may not be for everyone.  Please don't diss the folks on xda unless you are a regular user and experience bad support. 

Funny that my friend with One Plus 3 says Lineage OS has too many bugs, and so others are building custom roms such as Havoc-OS which is based on lineage Smiley Embarassed

These developers do this for fun, and there is never a guarantee for future support. You will always want a new device for different things. Unless you have the time to play around with roms and customization, why not stick to a better choices and forget about updating every other day? 

Well if you want no updates guaranteed, I have a suggestion, get an LG phone.  Third party roms are intended to extend the useful life of hardware by having updates, sometimes long after the manufacturer is gone or moved onto bigger and better things.  You do realize that updates are now done by bots which is why so many phones are supported and for so long. 

I don't know what to say about your friend and lineage on the one plus 3.  Perhaps it is user error?  I have lineage running on so many phones of varying hardware and they all run fine.  OS updates are just as easy as those delivered by google?  It is spouse approved which says it all about ease of use.   

@Effort wrote:

The only real thing that I'm missing is an adblocker that isn't local VPN based. I can use uBlock Origin on Firefox so I'm good for webpages.

For adfree browsing, try Kiwi Browser. You will notice the difference in speed. It's also got some more features such as night mode or bottom url bar.

Chanah

I loved my old Moto X! And still with moto. My G4 is working fine even now, as is my G5 Plus. The thing about them, as you know - it's the gestures. Near stock android, and the few things moto has put in are so useful. Chop twice for the torch, twist to open the camera, good stuff. I think they run well because they aren't all gunked up with bloatware, but that may be changing. Didn't go for the G6 because the specs are lower than what I've got now, and I just don't fancy a glass phone.

Effort

I'm thoroughly happy with OxygenOS and Oneplus launcher, even without root. The amount of customization Oxygen Launcher has is pretty on par of what I had on my old phone with root and custom launcher.

On my old Moto X 2014, it was pretty mandatory to root and install a custom launcher because of how lacking it was. I ended up rooting with Magisk, installing Xposed, GravityBox, MinMinGuard, Greenify, and AdAway for the modules. Then buying Nova Launcher and used that until I bought my Oneplus 5t.

@will13am wrote:

@NDesai wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

@will13am wrote:

I respectfully disagree.  You get way more value from these off brands.  At the end of the day, all I need is the bootloader to be unlockable and xda support.  If you ever used lineage OS, you will learn that it is a replacement for stock android.  People who buy the Public Mobile service are generally on a tight budget or budget oriented even if they can afford more.  Talking about buying $1000 phone is quite off topic to these customers. 

@will13am alright, my turn to respectfully disagree.  Just because someone doesn't want to spend a lot month to month on their phone service doesn't necessarily mean they won't want to splurge on a nice phone every 2 or 3 years.  However, I guess I agree that on average PM customers probably have a lower threshold on what they would want to spend on hardware.  That said, not everyone wants to mess around with 3rd party ROMs.  If you're into that and have the time and knowledge to do so, then fine, buy the hardware at the price point that most appeals to you.  For most, I think the OS does have to play a part in the decision process.  I think in 2018 you'd find that people running custom ROMs are in the minority of Android users, not majority.

Exactly! Most people want a phone that will last them a few years. Going with a cheap option and relying on xda support is not always ideal as users have to know things and keep up with the ROM status. Additionally, the devs can drop the support whenever they like. You can try to get the exact same thing as what Pixel users have, but there will always be a few things that you will not be able to get. Plus Google has been locking down a few things on Pie. I have not seen a launcher that supports android pie yet that makes a launcher similar to Pixel Launcher. In future, it will not be easy for devs to make customizable things. So keep that in mind as well. 

Okay, what ever you say.  I still get lineage OS on a zenfone 2.  LeEco has gone under, lineage still supports their phones.  The One plus one still has lineage support.  Sometimes support goes into extra innings via unofficial lineage forks.  Do I need exactly 100% of what a pixel phone gets from Google, probably not.  As long as the bug fixes and security updates keep coming, I am happy.  I will accept that custom roms may not be for everyone.  Please don't diss the folks on xda unless you are a regular user and experience bad support. 

Funny that my friend with One Plus 3 says Lineage OS has too many bugs, and so others are building custom roms such as Havoc-OS which is based on lineage Smiley Embarassed

These developers do this for fun, and there is never a guarantee for future support. You will always want a new device for different things. Unless you have the time to play around with roms and customization, why not stick to a better choices and forget about updating every other day? 

@stonechucker wrote:

The Nexus line of phones was great.  The Pixel (replacing the Nexus) was a huge price increase from the old devices that were mid-range prices.

This is exactly my point.  Nexus 4 was my last google product purchase.  It could be this way for a very, very long time.  I will stop short of saying never again. 

@NDesai wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

@will13am wrote:

The Nexus line of phones was great.  The Pixel (replacing the Nexus) was a huge price increase from the old devices that were mid-range prices.

@srlawren wrote:

@will13am wrote:

It does... I've already checked.

@stonechucker wrote:

@srlawren@will13am, I'll run a custom ROM once my phone is out of warranty period.  Right now, I'm only 1 lagging on OS by 1 release.

Only if your particular phone has third party rom support... 

@srlawren@will13am, I'll run a custom ROM once my phone is out of warranty period.  Right now, I'm only 1 lagging on OS by 1 release.

srlawren

@will13am wrote:

@NDesai wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

@will13am sure but then Xiaomi go and start doing things like this to try to recoup some of that lost revenue:  https://www.androidauthority.com/xiaomi-miui-ads-906902/.  

If you'd rather me compare OnePlus pricing to Samsung, I can do that.  I'll exlude the Note line since it's another cut above but lets compare the OP 6T to the Galaxy S9+.  Cheapest 6T is $719 Canadian and gets you 6GB and 128GB.  Cheapest S9+ is $1,099.99 and get you 6/64.  Bump the S9+ up to 256GB and it costs $1,259.99 vs $839 for an 8/256 6T.  So, $380 cheaper at the entry level and $420 cheaper at the 256GB storage level.  Granted this isn't the double like iPhone XS Max 256GB vs the OP6T, but this is a pretty serious price difference as well. 

Agreed. 

The reason those cheap brand are selling phones for way less than Pixels and iPhones is because their goal is to dominate the market where most people would buy their phones. Such market is in China or India. Over there, someone would call you crazy rich if you have the kind of money to spend on new iphones. High end phones don't sell well there, most cheap brands phones do. 

All i want to say is that phones like Xiami, Oppo, etc, you will get what you pay for. There are so many things that you will miss out on. Google and Apple keep their pricing high, but they also keep the quality of software/hardware top notch. You can never expect other cheap brand to compete at that level without you relying on xda devs to get some stuff that you missed out on. One plus on the other hand is sort of in the middle, and their pricing is also in the middle. Not cheap and not so expensive with pretty decent hardware/software quality.   

Back to the topic:

The first time i have used iphone os, i just hated the way we have to sync stuff through itunes. They gave us no other choice and have way too many restrictions. Android on the other hand is all about having that freedom to easily trasfer a file to your device directly using a windows or any other pc. No restriction on your device folders, downloads, home screen layout, icon movement, ability to use different styles of icons via launchers, etc. There are many little things that iOS does not allow you to do, but android lets you do it freely 🙂

Stock Android on my Pixel 2 has been just great. Prompt updates and it keeps improving. 

@srlawren wrote:

@will13am sure but then Xiaomi go and start doing things like this to try to recoup some of that lost revenue:  https://www.androidauthority.com/xiaomi-miui-ads-906902/.  

If you'd rather me compare OnePlus pricing to Samsung, I can do that.  I'll exlude the Note line since it's another cut above but lets compare the OP 6T to the Galaxy S9+.  Cheapest 6T is $719 Canadian and gets you 6GB and 128GB.  Cheapest S9+ is $1,099.99 and get you 6/64.  Bump the S9+ up to 256GB and it costs $1,259.99 vs $839 for an 8/256 6T.  So, $380 cheaper at the entry level and $420 cheaper at the 256GB storage level.  Granted this isn't the double like iPhone XS Max 256GB vs the OP6T, but this is a pretty serious price difference as well. 

I am fully aware of this.  That is why I mentioned android one edition of Xiaomi phones or going the custom rom route. 

@srlawren wrote:

Agreed. 

The reason those cheap brand are selling phones for way less than Pixels and iPhones is because their goal is to dominate the market where most people would buy their phones. Such market is in China or India. Over there, someone would call you crazy rich if you have the kind of money to spend on new iphones. High end phones don't sell well there, most cheap brands phones do. 

All i want to say is that phones like Xiami, Oppo, etc, you will get what you pay for. There are so many things that you will miss out on. Google and Apple keep their pricing high, but they also keep the quality of software/hardware top notch. You can never expect other cheap brand to compete at that level without you relying on xda devs to get some stuff that you missed out on. One plus on the other hand is sort of in the middle, and their pricing is also in the middle. Not cheap and not so expensive with pretty decent hardware/software quality.   

Back to the topic:

The first time i have used iphone os, i just hated the way we have to sync stuff through itunes. They gave us no other choice and have way too many restrictions. Android on the other hand is all about having that freedom to easily trasfer a file to your device directly using a windows or any other pc. No restriction on your device folders, downloads, home screen layout, icon movement, ability to use different styles of icons via launchers, etc. There are many little things that iOS does not allow you to do, but android lets you do it freely 🙂

Stock Android on my Pixel 2 has been just great. Prompt updates and it keeps improving. 

srlawren

@srlawren wrote:

@will13am wrote:

I agree with one plus until around 3.  After that, their pricing is like Apple.  

@will13am not sure I agree here.  Cheapest 2018 iPhone you can buy is the XR with 64BG storage and 3GB RAM for $1,029 Canadian.  Cheapest OnePlus 6T you can buy is the 6GB/128 for $719.  That's a $310 difference.  Stepping up to an iPhone XS Max with 4 GB and 256GB will cost you $1,729 Canadian while an 8GB/256GB OnePlus 6T will set you back $839 Canadian, or literally less than half.  As OnePlus does not offer a 512GB model there's nothing to compare directly there but I'll just point out that this capactiy tops you out at a dollar under TWO GRAND Canadian.  I'm not sure how you can call OnePlus pricing "like Apple". 

When I say Apple like, I don't mean dollar for dollar.  You get the picture, one plus is no longer value brand.  Their products are in the upper range for android phones, righ up there with the Galaxy phones.  I see it this way, if Xiaomi can sell the Poco phone for around $400, others should be able to sell in that range.  Android oems trying to monetize their hacked edition of android is dumb.  There is nothing to differentiate one product from another to justify the price premium of upwards of 2x.  If you could get an android one edition of the Poco phone, would you still have loyalty to one plus?  I would happy if they sold a global edition with North American LTE bands and allowed me to unlock the bootloader and install lineage OS. 

srlawren

@will13am wrote:

I agree with one plus until around 3.  After that, their pricing is like Apple.  

@will13am not sure I agree here.  Cheapest 2018 iPhone you can buy is the XR with 64BG storage and 3GB RAM for $1,029 Canadian.  Cheapest OnePlus 6T you can buy is the 6GB/128 for $719.  That's a $310 difference.  Stepping up to an iPhone XS Max with 4 GB and 256GB will cost you $1,729 Canadian while an 8GB/256GB OnePlus 6T will set you back $839 Canadian, or literally less than half.  As OnePlus does not offer a 512GB model there's nothing to compare directly there but I'll just point out that this capactiy tops you out at a dollar under TWO GRAND Canadian.  I'm not sure how you can call OnePlus pricing "like Apple". 

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@ashley4twenty wrote:

I want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly of PERSONAL expierences with ANY make, model, or version of ANDROID devices. 

Whatever you want to share, past, present, good or bad will be a valued voice.

**PLEASE KEEP THIS AN ANDROID ONLY THREAD**

**My personal interest is more-so to hear about current Android makes and models to help me decide my next upgrade.**

**My last 3 phones were all LG phones and I loved them, but I'm ready for something new as long as it's Android.**

**I have nothing against Apple, I have no interest in their products.**

I using an essential phone and it is my first  android and have really enjoyed it.  It is very clean compared to my wife's Samsung with added items, i hope they will produce another one.  I am interested in both phones that are mentioned above the One Plus and the Pocofone .

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@srlawren wrote:

@ashley4twenty pretty hard to beat OxygenOS these days.  Get yourself a OnePlus 6T, I'm pretty sure you'll be blown away coming from LG phones.  I know that @will13am is big on Xiaomi, but I presonally think the OnePlus series are the best flagships for the $.

I should add--this really didn't need to be in The Lounge, you could have posted this in the Phones & Hardware area.  It's on-topic.

I agree with one plus until around 3.  After that, their pricing is like Apple.  When Poco phone global edition comes out, I am in for one.  If they make a android one edition, I am in for 2.  Btw, Xiaomi currently have mid range android one phones selling for around $275 all in.  No other brand comes close to this. 

Need Help? Let's chat.