cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Oracle

Re: I want to hear your Android review

@srlawren wrote:

@will13am sure but then Xiaomi go and start doing things like this to try to recoup some of that lost revenue:  https://www.androidauthority.com/xiaomi-miui-ads-906902/.  

If you'd rather me compare OnePlus pricing to Samsung, I can do that.  I'll exlude the Note line since it's another cut above but lets compare the OP 6T to the Galaxy S9+.  Cheapest 6T is $719 Canadian and gets you 6GB and 128GB.  Cheapest S9+ is $1,099.99 and get you 6/64.  Bump the S9+ up to 256GB and it costs $1,259.99 vs $839 for an 8/256 6T.  So, $380 cheaper at the entry level and $420 cheaper at the 256GB storage level.  Granted this isn't the double like iPhone XS Max 256GB vs the OP6T, but this is a pretty serious price difference as well. 

I am fully aware of this.  That is why I mentioned android one edition of Xiaomi phones or going the custom rom route. 

Oracle

@NDesai wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

@will13am sure but then Xiaomi go and start doing things like this to try to recoup some of that lost revenue:  https://www.androidauthority.com/xiaomi-miui-ads-906902/.  

If you'd rather me compare OnePlus pricing to Samsung, I can do that.  I'll exlude the Note line since it's another cut above but lets compare the OP 6T to the Galaxy S9+.  Cheapest 6T is $719 Canadian and gets you 6GB and 128GB.  Cheapest S9+ is $1,099.99 and get you 6/64.  Bump the S9+ up to 256GB and it costs $1,259.99 vs $839 for an 8/256 6T.  So, $380 cheaper at the entry level and $420 cheaper at the 256GB storage level.  Granted this isn't the double like iPhone XS Max 256GB vs the OP6T, but this is a pretty serious price difference as well. 

Agreed. 

The reason those cheap brand are selling phones for way less than Pixels and iPhones is because their goal is to dominate the market where most people would buy their phones. Such market is in China or India. Over there, someone would call you crazy rich if you have the kind of money to spend on new iphones. High end phones don't sell well there, most cheap brands phones do. 

All i want to say is that phones like Xiami, Oppo, etc, you will get what you pay for. There are so many things that you will miss out on. Google and Apple keep their pricing high, but they also keep the quality of software/hardware top notch. You can never expect other cheap brand to compete at that level without you relying on xda devs to get some stuff that you missed out on. One plus on the other hand is sort of in the middle, and their pricing is also in the middle. Not cheap and not so expensive with pretty decent hardware/software quality.   

Back to the topic:

The first time i have used iphone os, i just hated the way we have to sync stuff through itunes. They gave us no other choice and have way too many restrictions. Android on the other hand is all about having that freedom to easily trasfer a file to your device directly using a windows or any other pc. No restriction on your device folders, downloads, home screen layout, icon movement, ability to use different styles of icons via launchers, etc. There are many little things that iOS does not allow you to do, but android lets you do it freely Smiley Happy

Stock Android on my Pixel 2 has been just great. Prompt updates and it keeps improving. 

I respectfully disagree.  You get way more value from these off brands.  At the end of the day, all I need is the bootloader to be unlockable and xda support.  If you ever used lineage OS, you will learn that it is a replacement for stock android.  People who buy the Public Mobile service are generally on a tight budget or budget oriented even if they can afford more.  Talking about buying $1000 phone is quite off topic to these customers. 

Mayor / Maire

@will13am wrote:

I respectfully disagree.  You get way more value from these off brands.  At the end of the day, all I need is the bootloader to be unlockable and xda support.  If you ever used lineage OS, you will learn that it is a replacement for stock android.  People who buy the Public Mobile service are generally on a tight budget or budget oriented even if they can afford more.  Talking about buying $1000 phone is quite off topic to these customers. 

@will13am alright, my turn to respectfully disagree.  Just because someone doesn't want to spend a lot month to month on their phone service doesn't necessarily mean they won't want to splurge on a nice phone every 2 or 3 years.  However, I guess I agree that on average PM customers probably have a lower threshold on what they would want to spend on hardware.  That said, not everyone wants to mess around with 3rd party ROMs.  If you're into that and have the time and knowledge to do so, then fine, buy the hardware at the price point that most appeals to you.  For most, I think the OS does have to play a part in the decision process.  I think in 2018 you'd find that people running custom ROMs are in the minority of Android users, not majority.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@srlawren@will13am, I'll run a custom ROM once my phone is out of warranty period.  Right now, I'm only 1 lagging on OS by 1 release.

Oracle

@stonechucker wrote:

@srlawren@will13am, I'll run a custom ROM once my phone is out of warranty period.  Right now, I'm only 1 lagging on OS by 1 release.

Only if your particular phone has third party rom support... 

It does... I've already checked.

Oracle

@srlawren wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@will13am alright, my turn to respectfully disagree.  Just because someone doesn't want to spend a lot month to month on their phone service doesn't necessarily mean they won't want to splurge on a nice phone every 2 or 3 years.  However, I guess I agree that on average PM customers probably have a lower threshold on what they would want to spend on hardware.  That said, not everyone wants to mess around with 3rd party ROMs.  If you're into that and have the time and knowledge to do so, then fine, buy the hardware at the price point that most appeals to you.  For most, I think the OS does have to play a part in the decision process.  I think in 2018 you'd find that people running custom ROMs are in the minority of Android users, not majority.

Exactly! Most people want a phone that will last them a few years. Going with a cheap option and relying on xda support is not always ideal as users have to know things and keep up with the ROM status. Additionally, the devs can drop the support whenever they like. You can try to get the exact same thing as what Pixel users have, but there will always be a few things that you will not be able to get. Plus Google has been locking down a few things on Pie. I have not seen a launcher that supports android pie yet that makes a launcher similar to Pixel Launcher. In future, it will not be easy for devs to make customizable things. So keep that in mind as well. 

I am not a mod. Do not send me private message with your personal info.

New Here? - Check out Knowledge Base Articles to learn more about Public Mobile.

The Nexus line of phones was great.  The Pixel (replacing the Nexus) was a huge price increase from the old devices that were mid-range prices.

Oracle

@NDesai wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

@will13am wrote:

Exactly! Most people want a phone that will last them a few years. Going with a cheap option and relying on xda support is not always ideal as users have to know things and keep up with the ROM status. Additionally, the devs can drop the support whenever they like. You can try to get the exact same thing as what Pixel users have, but there will always be a few things that you will not be able to get. Plus Google has been locking down a few things on Pie. I have not seen a launcher that supports android pie yet that makes a launcher similar to Pixel Launcher. In future, it will not be easy for devs to make customizable things. So keep that in mind as well. 

Okay, what ever you say.  I still get lineage OS on a zenfone 2.  LeEco has gone under, lineage still supports their phones.  The One plus one still has lineage support.  Sometimes support goes into extra innings via unofficial lineage forks.  Do I need exactly 100% of what a pixel phone gets from Google, probably not.  As long as the bug fixes and security updates keep coming, I am happy.  I will accept that custom roms may not be for everyone.  Please don't diss the folks on xda unless you are a regular user and experience bad support. 

Oracle

@stonechucker wrote:

The Nexus line of phones was great.  The Pixel (replacing the Nexus) was a huge price increase from the old devices that were mid-range prices.

This is exactly my point.  Nexus 4 was my last google product purchase.  It could be this way for a very, very long time.  I will stop short of saying never again.