cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Humour and other misc. stuff

CFPartDeux
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

It's gotten a bit stale around here, so I thought maybe we could use some humour, so post your funny pics, your jokes, anecdotes, or even some nice vintage phone pics( I'm lookin' at you @AE_Collector  ), or whatever else floats yer boat.

84 REPLIES 84

CFPartDeux

@gpixel wrote:

lol omg that was good! 🤣😂

Bet you wish YOU thought of that when you got in trouble in school! 😉 😁

lol omg that was good! 🤣😂

CFPartDeux

Since the perfectly fine pic that was originally posted here disappeared for some unknown reason, this one seems appropriate:

Grumpy Cat Common Sense.jpg

CFPartDeux

EndOfRuler.jpg

CFPartDeux

PickFight.png

yanzhiqiang
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Sad suitcase made me lough!

We really like travelling a lot since retirement so this made me laugh!

0BBC10AD-9FBD-40C3-A3B3-AFF6FAA3D7A2.jpeg

CFPartDeux

SocialDistanceGump.jpg

CFPartDeux

Any weasel scraping the bottom of the bucket, for something to complain about, can try this one:

Popcorn.jpg

CFPartDeux

Matrix Toilet Paper.jpg

CFPartDeux

Maybe those that got nuthin' better to do than complain, should try this:

BrainApp.jpg

CFPartDeux

@AE_Collector wrote:

Hmm, what’s next? 

There are also 192 Wall Starlites (See the pattern, 80 desk, 90 wall, 182 Startlite Desk, 192 Starlite Wall) though less of them were set up with illuminating dials, they were just a similar design compact Wall Phone. Not a great picture and hiding behind a couple of Desk Stylelines (I need more room!)

You need more room? Now there's a surprise! 🤣

ISTR you previously said your collection is actually somewhat smaller than it has been in the past, i.e. IIRC, you said you've sold some of these oldies, on occasion?

Are there any "holy grail" old phones you're salivating to acquire still?

Hmm, what’s next? 

There are also 192 Wall Starlites (See the pattern, 80 desk, 90 wall, 182 Startlite Desk, 192 Starlite Wall) though less of them were set up with illuminating dials, they were just a similar design compact Wall Phone. Not a great picture and hiding behind a couple of Desk Stylelines (I need more room!)

DBDBD634-622D-465E-9C69-6371DB8294F2.jpeg

@CFPartDeux 

Most of them would work or could be easily made to work. Dials can get sluggish when not used for years so they may need cleaning and lubricating to turn at the correct speed. I don’t bother making certain that most in my display cabinets work, some don't have cords etc. The Black Bakelite AE50 I posted is on my kitchen wall and working and I have a matching Black Bakelite AE40 in my living room connected to my phone line as well. I think they are the only antiques hooked up here at the moment.

Here are some AE 182 “Starlite” phones with illuminated dials for the bedroom. AE version of the Western Electric (Bell System) Princess phone. There was Very briefly a regular looking AE80 desk phone with an illuminated dial which they called the AE 82. Then they Went ahead and redesigned the whole thing And renamed it the 182.

AE_Collector

74FA73F1-56D1-488D-BF0B-FA50C8B23936.jpeg

CFPartDeux

@AE_Collector wrote:

@CFPartDeux 

Here you go...side by side under LED light makes it show up a bit better.

Awesome - now it REALLY shows up nicely! 👍  I'm quite likin' that walnut look..... for that matter, I kind of wonder if that was a choice, back in the day, so folks could match it to their furniture. 🤔

I don't recall if you ever mentioned this before, or not..... are all, or most, of your collection actually functional?

@CFPartDeux 

Here you go...side by side under LED light makes it show up a bit better. Black ones are Bakelite while coloured ones are some type of early thermoplastic. The Walnut is a different version of Bakelite still.

D8E1EA3F-BA03-4995-B558-161CCBA9B1A2.jpegE0F9B0BE-78B4-42B7-806A-EB90B01EBB0E.jpegC3B6EBD4-1761-4F3B-B1D5-6C92C82F699F.jpeg

CFPartDeux

Chuck Norris Bear Rug.jpg

CFPartDeux

@AE_Collector wrote:

These AE 40’s are all “real” original coloured phones. These models from the 40’s and 50’s are extremely rare to find in colours, they rent painted, they are molded in early types of plastics. Bottom row is black in the middle but the right one is walnut coloured Bakelite. Very hard to detect in pictures.

EFC266E3-4247-48BE-A0ED-26AB64B5C97F.jpeg

Yes, VERY hard to detect..... even without zooming in, you can see it's not the same as the black one in the middle, but you can't really see that it's some shade of brown. Funny, even when I zoom WAY in, it STILL appears to be black, but just not QUITE as black as its' neighbour...... that's some seriously dark "walnut" colour.

CFPartDeux

@AE_Collector wrote:

@CFPartDeux 

Yes that is an brown rotary dial AE 80 desk phone. Nd there are two more in brown, the bottom two shelves in the picture of all the desk phones, in both cases they are far right beside a gold phone.

Hmmm, would've figured those for black, even when zooming in. 🤔

That dark blue desk phone is the hardest colour to find these in. It was discontinued after about the first year of production. Must not have been a popular colour back then as another manufacturer, Western Electric had a dark blue that also was discontinued in the first year or two.

I'm likin' that colour! 👍

These AE 40’s are all “real” original coloured phones. These models from the 40’s and 50’s are extremely rare to find in colours, they aren't painted, they are molded in Very early types of plastics. Bottom row is black Bakelite in the middle but the right one is walnut coloured Bakelite. Very hard to detect in pictures. The left beige wall phone is from a ship as it has wire clips to help keep the handset on hook.

EFC266E3-4247-48BE-A0ED-26AB64B5C97F.jpeg

@CFPartDeux 

The outside of the house is the maintenance part.

Yes that is an brown rotary dial AE 80 desk phone. And there are two more in brown, the bottom two shelves in the picture of all the desk phones, in both cases they are on the far right beside a gold phone.

That dark blue desk phone is the hardest colour to find these in. It was discontinued after about the first year of production. Must not have been a popular colour back then as another manufacturer, Western Electric had a dark blue that also was discontinued in the first year or two.

Even though white should be a basic colour they too are hard to find as they mainly all turned ivory with any sunlight hitting them. The two wall phones between the two black wall phones, the left one is white and right is ivory.

AE_Collector

CFPartDeux

Funny joke/meme about divorce deleted, because SOMEONE(gee, I wonder who it could POSSIBLY be!? 🙄 ) complained,  and can apparently sell pretty much ANYTHING to a Mod as "offensive content"...... wow, the depths that some folks will sink to.....

CFPartDeux

@AE_Collector wrote:

And the AE 90 wall phones:

Yup, that's the one we had later on..... don't really recall for sure, but I THINK it was white, as opposed to cream, beige, etc.

CFPartDeux

@AE_Collector wrote:

@CFPartDeux wrote:Yup, saw that red one before too - THAT is pretty much the phone our family had for YEARS, except in black, and then later on we had what I suspect is probably the wall mounted version of the same phone(or very similar), but in white. ISTR you also posted a green, and maybe a yellow version of that..... did those things come in a bunch of different colours, or is that about it?

Yes in the 60’s and into the 70’s these AE 80 desk and AE 90 wall phones came in about a dozen colours. Here are more examples than you asked for! (Should know better than to get me started)!

Oh, heck no - I don't know about other folks, but I get a kick out of eyeballin' the variety of old phones, few of which I've actually seen before! 👍

The AE 80’s and 80E’s (newer ones with a faceplate):

Don't really like those push buttons ones, many of which are simply the same phone shell with different faceplates, but the funky colours are cool.

I've PROBABLY seen all those colours on that 1st shelf, but on the 2nd shelf I've MAYBE only ever seen the green one on the right

Down on shelf 5, again, I've MAYBE seen that kind of green, like the one on the left, but the other three don't look familiar at all..... that one on the right, even when zooming in, I can't quite tell..... is that some shade of brown? 🤔

All these funky coloured phones almost make me want to get a landline again.... almost. 😉  My wife would love that pink phone on shelf 2.

And the AE 90 wall phones:

86F6A4D2-51B2-4BA1-B0F1-A51F4EDF4645.jpeg9466CB76-C32F-4165-AED1-86F42B6E93C5.jpegC83742BD-B3B4-409B-A48F-9A0C8B8DF965.jpeg

@CFPartDeux wrote:Yup, saw that red one before too - THAT is pretty much the phone our family had for YEARS, except in black, and then later on we had what I suspect is probably the wall mounted version of the same phone(or very similar), but in white. ISTR you also posted a green, and maybe a yellow version of that..... did those things come in a bunch of different colours, or is that about it?

Yes in the 60’s and into the 70’s these AE 80 desk and AE 90 wall phones came in about a dozen colours. Here are more examples than you asked for! (Should know better than to get me started)!

The AE 80’s and 80E’s (newer ones with a faceplate):

6FB58A11-3C82-4956-93D9-12EBD2AB8070.jpeg764927BB-914F-4C27-B7F0-298B960C0280.jpegBBC2A688-6C73-4574-8AAA-ED48D6495D13.jpegFFB7E999-7746-44EB-A9AC-D5E426519D5E.jpeg

@CFPartDeux wrote:

Self explanatory:

TrumpSpeech.jpg

That’s an oldie and a goodie! I think I was distributing this one before the 2016 election. Our worst fears came true.....

CFPartDeux

This ought to scare away a few people 🤣:

Take Temp..jpg

CFPartDeux

One for Queen/Freddy Mercury fans:

Queen.jpg

Need Help? Let's chat.