cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hearing related issue and Hearing Aids Selection

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I was busy for the last few days and did not have time to move the hearing aids related post.  But I like to get this thread started so that we can share the info and ask questions in dealing hearing related issues.

I don't have Tinnitus.  Some people have experience ringing or other noises in one or both ears.  Here is a 10 hours YouTube video from the Doctor Cliff AuD channel by Dr. Cliff Olson to treat Tinnitus.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3jYDf3MjoU

I learned a lot from his channel on HA and the latest technology used to program hearing aids(HA).  I never heard of Real Ear Measurement(REM) until I watched a video from him.  REM is a new method used to program hearing aids.  I wear HA over 15 years and I was not happy with any of them.  The first time I experience the REM was 2 months ago at my local Costco hearing center.  The equipment to perform the REM is new to me as REM is a new way to program my HA according to my hearing loss prescription.  My new HA let me hear well in noisy environment.  I know that new improvements in HA technology let me hear better.  It does not matter how good is the technology is.  I still cannot hear well if my HA was not programmed according to my hearing loss prescription.  HA is not cheap.  My money is wasted if it is not programmed correctly to get the full benefit of my new HA.  

5 REPLIES 5

Opensource and DIY hearing aid designs have been floating around the internet for a few years. LoCHAid might've been the most (in)famous - a hugely successful kickstart which suddenly mysteriously fell offline just before actual product launch.

In terms of hardware, you need less than $5 worth of parts to build a cutting-edge hearing aid. Call it $10 if you really want the best of the best with pretty custom plastics and stuff.

In terms of software, you need some moderately clever code which thousands of people have already posted (and support) online for you to download completely free.

Yet the medical industry firmly insists that hearing aids must all fall within a $$$-$$$$ price range.

So I think these inexpensive hearing aids will begin to establish a real presence (for those who need hearing aids) over coming years. Just like 3D-printed prosthetic limbs and other "DIY" prosthetic devices.

But all that being said - I also think it's crucial (for those who need hearing aids) to get their hearing parameters measured by a proper audiologist. They're only human (not perfect) but they are experts with professional gear, the last thing you'd want to do is fit yourself with a device that doesn't help or even makes things get even worse over time.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@popping wrote:

- not for person with high frequency hearing loss

@popping : I don't know how that reviewer or you have come to that conclusion.

Pretty much any hearing aid is much more able to push high frequencies than low. You know the size of those "speakers". Seems kinda preposterous to me to have come to that conclusion.

My guess is you'll be waiting a while. We will never again have hearing like when we were much younger. It's really more about the skills of the person adjusting them too.

Don't get me wrong...my ears and aids are just as frustrating.

Is there a reason you're thinking of changing from what you have?

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Review of the latest Costco Kirkland Signature 10 hearing aids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZjV48erTuA

- has noise generator for Tinnitus

- rechargeable battery and the charger is also a power bank just in case your HA is out of power on your night out.

- not for person with high frequency hearing loss

- with motion control to switch on/off the rear mic

- don't need iPhone or special Android phone with ASHA support to stream audio to you HA

- support t-coil

I have high frequency hearing loss and I cannot use the new KS10 or other Phonak HA.

I am staying with my Costco Philips HA for now and wait for more advance in hearing technology.  

AB subsidizes 75% of the cost of one(1) HA for Albertan age 65+ every 5 years.  It makes a pair of hearing aids affordable for the AB seniors.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've only had HA's for 4 years. HA's don't fix hearing. They aid. Glasses fix sight. The brain still has to process what it's getting through the ears aided or not. Short of medical breakthroughs, you'll never get normal hearing back.

Edit: tinnitus therapies are as yet unproven. Yes anecdotal. Some do get relief. But not all. I just have a constant high tone with background hiss. Some have rhythmic sounds. That would drive me bonkers.

Need Help? Let's chat.