cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goodbye everyone. I've switched to Shaw Mobile and couldn't be happier

FrostyButters
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks to the community for all of the help and support.

Public Mobile was the last telus service I subscribed to. I'm glad to have severed all ties.

49 REPLIES 49

CFPartDeux
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@darlicious wrote:

@CFPartDeux  As i suggested the other day to a member who was getting an excellent rogers signal, a poor pm (telus) signal  and once we identified her best signals  were from local freedom and rogers towers with the telus towers (transceivers)being poor for her home locale the best option would be using the shaw service  on the freedom network with rogers operating the nationwide portion of freedoms service. Having the $15 plan from pm to back up the shaw service when away from home she would be covered by the big three ensuring coverage anywhere in canada that a cell signal exists .

Your brother could do the same.....while not covered at home very well by shaw/freedom mobile service most service could be achieved  over wifi but having at least one line covered by the pm  $15 plan could achieve connectivity everywhere theres a signal. You could refer him too....oh wait...

I'm just wondering about the "partner" part of the whole Shaw/Freedom thing. Given that Bell & Telus have a sweetheart deal, I would've thought that Shaw/Freedom would have a similar deal with Rogers, but ISTR the geek saying something about  them partnering with the other guys as well. Harrison has a couple of Telus towers around the area, and there's at least one Rogers tower as well, so they MIGHT be covered ok, depending on how well this partner/out of Shaw/Freedom coverage thing works. Given the number of people that have posted negative comments about Freedom, both here & elsewhere, it's seems like it'll be sketchy, but I guess they'll find out. 🤔

@CFPartDeux  As i suggested the other day to a member who was getting an excellent rogers signal, a poor pm (telus) signal  and once we identified her best signals  were from local freedom and rogers towers with the telus towers (transceivers)being poor for her home locale the best option would be using the shaw service  on the freedom network with rogers operating the nationwide portion of freedoms service. Having the $15 plan from pm to back up the shaw service when away from home she would be covered by the big three ensuring coverage anywhere in canada that a cell signal exists .

Your brother could do the same.....while not covered at home very well by shaw/freedom mobile service most service could be achieved  over wifi but having at least one line covered by the pm  $15 plan could achieve connectivity everywhere theres a signal. You could refer him too....oh wait...

CFPartDeux

@darlicious wrote:

@FrostyButters 

Good to hear...it looks like freedom has vastly improved its coverage in and around the urban areas it serves. I left them a year ago and the last time I was out that way was about a year and a half ago and the service was still very spotty (Abby airport required wifi). Thanks for reporting back.

You wouldn't think so, when looking at their coverage map, although it could simply be that they haven't updated the actual map in a while. 🤔

My wife's bro and his family are moving out to Harrison, and have signed up with Shaw, both for home TV & internet(it's the only game in town, apparently), but they also signed up for Shaw Mobile, and when lookin' at the coverage map, and the Canada cell towers map, I think they're gonna be dislikin' their reception anywhere away from home. I'm sure their phones will be fine at home, using WiFi, but the nearest Shaw/Freedom towers are in either Hatzic, or Abbotsford. I guess we'll see what it's like, while they have to connect to Shaw's "partners", but I'm thinkin' they'll be shoppin' for a new mobile provider soon after they move in.

@FrostyButters 

Good to hear...it looks like freedom has vastly improved its coverage in and around the urban areas it serves. I left them a year ago and the last time I was out that way was about a year and a half ago and the service was still very spotty (Abby airport required wifi). Thanks for reporting back.

FrostyButters

It wasn't my intention to "trash PM on the PM forum." I just wanted to say thanks, goodbye, share the deal I found and let people know what my experience with Shaw Mobile is like.

Speeds are not an issue for me with Shaw Mobile. I'm getting 75Mbps down at my house. The highest speed I've seen on a Speedtest was 128Mbps in central Abbotsford. Both tests were done with wifi off. The slowest I've seen is 6Mbps in Township of Langley in one specific area.

I haven't had any missed calls or texts

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@FrostyButters Good luck with shaw ! Its sad to see you go. 

I thought i heard that the plan price is just introductory and it might be raised later on ? If thats the case then it isint really going to always be 0$

Anonymous
Not applicable

Read the fine print. Not nearly as flexible as this place.

BEER

@FrostyButters wrote:

The Shaw Mobile $0 plan with pay by the Gig including 90 day data rollover, full LTE speeds and Spite (I try to avoid supporting telus).

I've moved over 4 mobile plans for my family and plan on moving my parents phone's over as well.

Again -- following my previous post ---- what has happened to make you so bitter against Telus  to the point where you have the need to trash PM on the PM forum. Let it go and go on with your life -

Hey...Hey.  .... I've changed my mind about you .. just checked SHAW and they do have good promotional deals --

Promo Freedom Nationwide Talk + Text + 1.5GB. ---------$19/month 1GB + 500MB Bonus data.
UPDATE -------> That is only a promo for 12 months.  --- Also I don't think that their add ons roll over -- The only good thing is that after I called them for details they mailed me a free SIM card.

BEER

@FrostyButters wrote:

Thanks to the community for all of the help and support.

Public Mobile was the last telus service I subscribed to. I'm glad to have severed all ties.

Why? -------What's the advantage? -----Also ----- why are you promoting Shaw on the PM forum?

yanzhiqiang

Sorry to know you left, but it is a good thing as long as you are happy with Shaw. 

jonfirlotte
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Take care and good luck!

CFPartDeux

@FrostyButters wrote:

The Shaw Mobile $0 plan with pay by the Gig including 90 day data rollover, full LTE speeds and Spite (I try to avoid supporting telus).

I've moved over 4 mobile plans for my family and plan on moving my parents phone's over as well.

Good enough reasons, especially for the cost, BUT, I think some folks, myself included, would be interested in hearing how the reception is, i.e. have you had dropped calls while at home, or when out & about, or lousy, or zero reception when you get to the fringes of their coverage area? You know, the kinds of things that people complain about Freedom.

@FrostyButters

II understand  i feel the same way about fido (rogers)........and shaw! To each his own!

@FrostyButters wrote:

A smart choice if you already subscribe to other Shaw services (home internet, cable, etc).

Telus equivalents are technically superior - far superior - in most areas. But also far costlier. And their bundle discounts are insulting.

FrostyButters

Pawprints1986

If you see this, I'm curious why you switched ?What were you unhappy with here?

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@FrostyButters  unless you ported your number remove your autopay credit card to close your PM account.  Sorry to see you go. Stay safe. 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@FrostyButters,

On to your next chapter, and best wishes to you!

Need Help? Let's chat.