cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gahh... It's finnaly happening, Windows 11......

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

We've all been waiting for the codename "Sun Valley" update to come to Windows. It's supposed to bring a brand new UI, better visuals, performance enhancements, and more. Well, the update may not make its way to windows 10 but instead a whole new operating system named Windows 11. 

After all these years, We may finally be getting Windows 11, the operating system that was confirmed to never exist...

There have been many leaks and hints from Microsoft lately about it on Twitter. Even a few internal leaks and screenshots of the build... 

The Verge explains all the hints in this article.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2021/6/3/22466394/microsoft-windows-11-la...

The event is supposed to take place at the end of this month.. We'll see what It brings. 

So, What are your guy's thoughts on "The next generation of Windows" ?

31 REPLIES 31

@CFPartDeux wrote:

Methinks you're generalizing A LOT with that statement..... 

Fair enough.

But even my dinosaur parents like the Mint I slipped onto their machines. The GUI is all very familiar to the Win7 they've already learned.

I guess most people will get Windows "free" with their machines and keep Windows running on their machines. Just like most people never change the Android or iOS that came on their smartphone.

CFPartDeux
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Korth wrote:

@CFPartDeux 

For most people the under-the-hood differences between operating systems don't matter. They're concerned with compatibility: the software they want to run on the operating system either works or it doesn't. They're concerned with performance: the software they want to run on the operating system either runs faster or it doesn't. Linux tends to win on every count except for AAA game titles which absolutely require (Microsoft) DirectX.

Yeah, I'm well aware of that, and if not for that last part, I'd probably have switched to Linux long ago.

Everyone who uses computers long enough will eventually try a linux. Most end up preferring it, only going back to Windows when necessary to use somebody else's machinery.

Methinks you're generalizing A LOT with that statement..... that MAYBE applies to many people that are computer savvy and brave enough to try it, but that DOESN'T apply to ANY of the people I know, that ARE long time computer users, i.e. although they've been using computers for YEARS, most of them I would still consider to be.... shall we say, NOT computer savvy(wanted to say "computer illiterate", but that wouldn't be quite accurate). Even my nephew, who is quite computer savvy, I don't THINK he's ever tried Linux, simply because he's definitely a gamer, and has zero interest in Linux.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I gave a Linux version a go way back a millennium ago in the mid-90's. It didn't click in my head so I decided not to proceed with it.

Maybe I should give a rather newer version a go some day. Maybe when W10 expires in 2025 and this antique laptop I'm on is still ticking. This antique doesn't have TPM so it will no longer get any newer versions.

@CFPartDeux 

For most people the under-the-hood differences between operating systems don't matter. They're concerned with compatibility: the software they want to run on the operating system either works or it doesn't. They're concerned with performance: the software they want to run on the operating system either runs faster or it doesn't. Linux tends to win on every count except for AAA game titles which absolutely require (Microsoft) DirectX.

Everyone who uses computers long enough will eventually try a linux. Most end up preferring it, only going back to Windows when necessary to use somebody else's machinery.

CFPartDeux

@Korth  Yeah, just for sh#ts & giggles, a few years ago I installed 2 or 3 different Linux distros on some unused hardware, just to see how easy(or not) it was to do, since Linux has supposedly come a long way in ease-of-use, and I was pleasantly surprised at how reasonably easy it was. I recall trying out Ubuntu, but I don't recall which other ones I tried, but they were all fairly easy to install & get running. There are, of course, different ways the OS does things, and different terminologies, but overall it can be figured out in time. 👍

@CFPartDeux wrote:

@mizetuca wrote:

Will it be possible to upgrade Windows 7 to 11 for free?

Actually, it wouldn't surprise me..... if you have a legit copy of Win7 and were to install Win10, and input your Win7 serial #, it'll PROBABLY give you a new serial for Win10, and from what I've read, if you have Win10, it SHOULD be free to "upgrade" to Win11. This all assumes you have the correct hardware to be compatible with 11. 🤔

Microsoft pushed Win7-to-Win10 migration pretty aggressively in the past. There's always workarounds to make the "GWX" update work on Win7 (and Vista) systems.

But it's a one-way migration. You get a new Win10 product key - married to your processor and chipset if you have a UEFI-equipped motherboard, married to your TPM if you have one (an optional part on desktop motherboards, a soldered part on mobile motherboards).

This Genuine Microsoft Windows Product Key will allow you to install/reinstall and activate your Win10 as often as you like. On one hardware platform.

It also deactivates your Win7 product key. So you won't be able to (re)install or (re)activate Win7 anymore. There's a bit of a delay before this happens - sometimes immediate, sometimes a month or three later - online speculation is that this delay depends on your region and/or on your edition. (Not that this really matters anymore, since Win7 is EOL, Microsoft has officially abandoned support, activations and updates and support are now available at many other websites.)

Microsoft promised us - for years - that Win10 would be the final WinOS. The new paradigm. The ultimate (and only) choice. Then they started splicing it into different editions for different market segments. Then they started working on "the next big thing" in secrecy.

Win7 was the last time I bought a copy of Windows (except for when some WinOS comes preinstalled on a laptop/etc). Got sick of paying Microsoft over and over again for a broken product - a dozen times now? two dozen? - so I moved to a linux and have never gone back. If you're smart enough to figure out the differences between one smartphone operating system and another then you're smart enough to learn the same with desktop operating systems, especially if you get one with deliberately similar GUI.

Linux Mint is the perfect choice for Win7 refugees. Unless you foolishly trusted Microsoft to collect all your information on MySpace and Bing, lol.

CFPartDeux

@mizetuca wrote:

Actually, it wouldn't surprise me..... if you have a legit copy of Win7 and were to install Win10, and input your Win7 serial #, it'll PROBABLY give you a new serial for Win10, and from what I've read, if you have Win10, it SHOULD be free to "upgrade" to Win11. This all assumes you have the correct hardware to be compatible with 11. 🤔

stevenanto
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@mizetuca I highly doubt that. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mizetuca wrote:

@mizetuca : Run the compatibility checker. This 2009 HP that I'm typing on started out as Vista with a coupon for 7 and got it. Skipped 8. Then 10 was given out and I got it. But it's not compatible with 11. Seeing that, I stopped looking. I don't know if it's free.

mizetuca
New in Town / Nouveau en Ville

BearFBI

@NDesai said "Windows 11 looks awesome! I like the new design overhaul and great new features. Biggest surprise is the ability to run Android apps."

100% agree. It has a much needed design overhaul and much more fluid animations. The multitasking tab/desktop features are INSANE. The ability to run android apps shocked me too. 

Tell me how Windows 11 goes !

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Windows 11 looks awesome! I like the new design overhaul and great new features. Biggest surprise is the ability to run Android apps.

My home PC won't qualify if they make the TPM requirement mandatory :(. However, my work laptop is good. I am already an insider member so I can try out the build they released today, but my current partition is not big enough. I will probably repartition and reinstall Win 10 to try Win 11.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@BearFBI wrote:

"And did you read WHY none of them can be upgraded? Apparently, M$ is insisting that machines running Win11 HAVE TO have TPM 2.0, which means a lot of machines that are only a few years old won't even qualify. 🙄"

A lot of machines sold in the past 5 years have TPM 2.0, it just might not be enabled in Bios. My Surface Pro 4 has it. 

I'd be more worried about the processor requirements. Intel 8th gen and up, wtf Microsoft. It can probably still run on older generation processors but I'm not sure how well it'll perform. 

Agree.
Microsoft wants to fix the security issue on Windows OS.  Therefore, TPM 2.0 is important.

Windows 11 requires a 64-bit CPU and processor from no earlier than 2019.  That is lot of computers.

I will run my Windows 10 machine until Microsoft stops supporting it at the end of 2025.  

BearFBI

"And did you read WHY none of them can be upgraded? Apparently, M$ is insisting that machines running Win11 HAVE TO have TPM 2.0, which means a lot of machines that are only a few years old won't even qualify. 🙄"

A lot of machines sold in the past 5 years have TPM 2.0, it just might not be enabled in Bios. My Surface Pro 4 has it. 

I'd be more worried about the processor requirements. Intel 8th gen and up, wtf Microsoft. It can probably still run on older generation processors but I'm not sure how well it'll perform. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yup. My old 2009 upper level HP laptop is no longer compatible. It got 10. Not 11. Oh well. It's what I'm typing on right now.

popping

@CFPartDeux wrote:

@popping wrote:

Ran the pc health check app on all my Windows 10 pc.  None can be upgraded to 11.  I have 4.5 years to put aside money or collect enough dream air miles to use my air miles Onyx personal shopper to get a new laptop on open market.

And did you read WHY none of them can be upgraded? Apparently, M$ is insisting that machines running Win11 HAVE TO have TPM 2.0, which means a lot of machines that are only a few years old won't even qualify. 🙄

It said that I do not have secure boot which is related to TPM 2.0.  Older BIOS does not have this function.  On top of it, the CPU in my laptop is too old and is not in the Windows11 CPU supported list.

https://allthings.how/windows-11-processors-list-intel-amd-qualcomm/

CFPartDeux

@popping wrote:

Ran the pc health check app on all my Windows 10 pc.  None can be upgraded to 11.  I have 4.5 years to put aside money or collect enough dream air miles to use my air miles Onyx personal shopper to get a new laptop on open market.

And did you read WHY none of them can be upgraded? Apparently, M$ is insisting that machines running Win11 HAVE TO have TPM 2.0, which means a lot of machines that are only a few years old won't even qualify. 🙄

popping

CFPartDeux

@BearFBI wrote:

Might spin the build up in a VM later on today.

If you do, let us know what you find out.....

BearFBI

Seems as if its only a Reskin using their scrapped Windows10X operating system, still runs the same system code, Its basically the same wine but with a new bottle. 

Leaked builds are surfacing all over the internet and there are many images online. It does look pretty clean, new system sounds, they brought back some older sounds from Win7, new start menu, new windows logo, and new startup animation. Might spin the build up in a VM later on today.

stevenanto

@CFPartDeux If only they can do things as simple and fast as the beast edition. Nothing beat it. I know they are a tech company and they need to generate more $ and change things up a little every few years but I also like to think, if it ain't broke why touch it. 

CFPartDeux

@stevenanto wrote:

@CFPartDeux yes I remember windows ME, you described it perfectly. They were both very very sluggish. I really liked windows xp and I once got a version called beast edition from a buddy. It had all the basic stuff and removed all the stuff that you didnt need and it used to fly. 

Yeah, I had a new 'puter at the time, and installed ME(which my nephew refers to as "Martian Edition") on it, and had no end to crashing, but once I installed XP, all was fine.

As for a "beast" edition of Windows, Tech Yes City had a video recently, detailing how to cut out tons of unnecessary garbage from Windows 10, and was talkin' about how it actually gained him some FPS in gaming.

BearFBI

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.trustedreviews.com/news/windows-10-support-to-end-2025-in-another-h...

Microsoft announced its ending support for Win10 in 2025.... Windows 11 is totally happening. Microsoft is making it way too obvious

stevenanto

@CFPartDeux yes I remember windows ME, you described it perfectly. They were both very very sluggish. I really liked windows xp and I once got a version called beast edition from a buddy. It had all the basic stuff and removed all the stuff that you didnt need and it used to fly. 

CFPartDeux

@stevenanto wrote:

it does look like something apple has created. I just want them to progress and make things better and faster, nothing like vista, that was a total disaster. 

Ah, Vista wasn't THAT bad - my wife had it on her previous laptop, and to me it was simply an earlier version of Windows 7. Windows ME, on the other hand, was a complete & utter steamin' pile o' crap(apparently you can't type the proper word, so "crap" it is 🙄)..... that is, if you ever had the displeasure to take THAT for a test drive! 👎

stevenanto

it does look like something apple has created. I just want them to progress and make things better and faster, nothing like vista, that was a total disaster. 

BearFBI

@Pawprints1986 Yes I mean the mac operating system. Mac OS has changed, the recent Big Sur update has made it almost better than windows. I spun it up in a VM a while ago and I quite liked it. 

You have to do some tweaking to feel right at home like you do with windows but it's worth it. I'm done with the issues windows has. 

Pawprints1986

@BearFBI just making sure, if my macos you mean the Mac operating system? I wonder if that's gotten any more intuitive over the years. I used to help my mom with her Mac laptop, but found myself often googling how to find a setting that I knew right where it was in windows 😁 I'll have to check out what things I can remove though. I had a motherboard just recently crap the bed, so I'm starting over retweaking everything

But that said, I'm still rocking my iPod 😉 I love it. I know there's so many newer ways now, but I'm generally along the lines of if it ain't broke don't fix it lol

BearFBI

@Pawprints1986

"Would also love a less tablet like experience, like what windows 7 was. You can really tell alot that 10 was designed heavily with tablets in mind even with it on "desktop" mode"

To me Windows 10 isn't much of a tablet experience. Windows 8 was lol, That's why it was utter garbage. If anything macos is more tablet like than windows 10. 

"Less bloat too or the option to uninstall more of it. It's a desktop. I don't need camera, maps, location etc I'm not hauling my tower when I need directions lmao don't have a webcam either (or want one)"

I agree with you on the bloat. You know you can uninstall most of it though. I have a Feeling MS might finally cut down on it. There removing all the useless doubble apps, the two paint apps, two setting apps, etc.

Really all I want is for windows to catchup to macos design wise and optimization wise. Windows is an absolute resource and memory hog. 

Pawprints1986

Would love the option to completely remove "clear type" or "anti alias" without a registry hack lol and in all areas including start menu. I already have a bad eye, I don't need things intentionally blurry!

Would also love a less tablet like experience, like what windows 7 was. You can really tell alot that 10 was designed heavily with tablets in mind even with it on "desktop" mode

Less bloat too or the option to uninstall more of it. It's a desktop. I don't need camera, maps, location etc I'm not hauling my tower when I need directions lmao don't have a webcam either (or want one)

Most people like those things but I don't need them lol

Need Help? Let's chat.