cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gahh... It's finnaly happening, Windows 11......

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

We've all been waiting for the codename "Sun Valley" update to come to Windows. It's supposed to bring a brand new UI, better visuals, performance enhancements, and more. Well, the update may not make its way to windows 10 but instead a whole new operating system named Windows 11. 

After all these years, We may finally be getting Windows 11, the operating system that was confirmed to never exist...

There have been many leaks and hints from Microsoft lately about it on Twitter. Even a few internal leaks and screenshots of the build... 

The Verge explains all the hints in this article.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2021/6/3/22466394/microsoft-windows-11-la...

The event is supposed to take place at the end of this month.. We'll see what It brings. 

So, What are your guy's thoughts on "The next generation of Windows" ?

31 REPLIES 31

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Windows 11 looks awesome! I like the new design overhaul and great new features. Biggest surprise is the ability to run Android apps.

My home PC won't qualify if they make the TPM requirement mandatory :(. However, my work laptop is good. I am already an insider member so I can try out the build they released today, but my current partition is not big enough. I will probably repartition and reinstall Win 10 to try Win 11.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
I am not a mod. Do not send me private message with your personal info.
If you need to contact PM Customer Support Agent, create a Ticket.

New Here? - Check out Knowledge Base Articles to learn more about Public Mobile.

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@NDesai said "Windows 11 looks awesome! I like the new design overhaul and great new features. Biggest surprise is the ability to run Android apps."

100% agree. It has a much needed design overhaul and much more fluid animations. The multitasking tab/desktop features are INSANE. The ability to run android apps shocked me too. 

Tell me how Windows 11 goes !

mizetuca
New in Town / Nouveau en Ville

Will it be possible to upgrade Windows 7 to 11 for free?

@mizetuca wrote:

@mizetuca : Run the compatibility checker. This 2009 HP that I'm typing on started out as Vista with a coupon for 7 and got it. Skipped 8. Then 10 was given out and I got it. But it's not compatible with 11. Seeing that, I stopped looking. I don't know if it's free.

stevenanto
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@mizetuca I highly doubt that. 

CFPartDeux
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@mizetuca wrote:

Actually, it wouldn't surprise me..... if you have a legit copy of Win7 and were to install Win10, and input your Win7 serial #, it'll PROBABLY give you a new serial for Win10, and from what I've read, if you have Win10, it SHOULD be free to "upgrade" to Win11. This all assumes you have the correct hardware to be compatible with 11. 🤔

@CFPartDeux wrote:

@mizetuca wrote:

Actually, it wouldn't surprise me..... if you have a legit copy of Win7 and were to install Win10, and input your Win7 serial #, it'll PROBABLY give you a new serial for Win10, and from what I've read, if you have Win10, it SHOULD be free to "upgrade" to Win11. This all assumes you have the correct hardware to be compatible with 11. 🤔

Microsoft pushed Win7-to-Win10 migration pretty aggressively in the past. There's always workarounds to make the "GWX" update work on Win7 (and Vista) systems.

But it's a one-way migration. You get a new Win10 product key - married to your processor and chipset if you have a UEFI-equipped motherboard, married to your TPM if you have one (an optional part on desktop motherboards, a soldered part on mobile motherboards).

This Genuine Microsoft Windows Product Key will allow you to install/reinstall and activate your Win10 as often as you like. On one hardware platform.

It also deactivates your Win7 product key. So you won't be able to (re)install or (re)activate Win7 anymore. There's a bit of a delay before this happens - sometimes immediate, sometimes a month or three later - online speculation is that this delay depends on your region and/or on your edition. (Not that this really matters anymore, since Win7 is EOL, Microsoft has officially abandoned support, activations and updates and support are now available at many other websites.)

Microsoft promised us - for years - that Win10 would be the final WinOS. The new paradigm. The ultimate (and only) choice. Then they started splicing it into different editions for different market segments. Then they started working on "the next big thing" in secrecy.

Win7 was the last time I bought a copy of Windows (except for when some WinOS comes preinstalled on a laptop/etc). Got sick of paying Microsoft over and over again for a broken product - a dozen times now? two dozen? - so I moved to a linux and have never gone back. If you're smart enough to figure out the differences between one smartphone operating system and another then you're smart enough to learn the same with desktop operating systems, especially if you get one with deliberately similar GUI.

Linux Mint is the perfect choice for Win7 refugees. Unless you foolishly trusted Microsoft to collect all your information on MySpace and Bing, lol.

CFPartDeux
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Korth  Yeah, just for sh#ts & giggles, a few years ago I installed 2 or 3 different Linux distros on some unused hardware, just to see how easy(or not) it was to do, since Linux has supposedly come a long way in ease-of-use, and I was pleasantly surprised at how reasonably easy it was. I recall trying out Ubuntu, but I don't recall which other ones I tried, but they were all fairly easy to install & get running. There are, of course, different ways the OS does things, and different terminologies, but overall it can be figured out in time. 👍

@CFPartDeux 

For most people the under-the-hood differences between operating systems don't matter. They're concerned with compatibility: the software they want to run on the operating system either works or it doesn't. They're concerned with performance: the software they want to run on the operating system either runs faster or it doesn't. Linux tends to win on every count except for AAA game titles which absolutely require (Microsoft) DirectX.

Everyone who uses computers long enough will eventually try a linux. Most end up preferring it, only going back to Windows when necessary to use somebody else's machinery.

I gave a Linux version a go way back a millennium ago in the mid-90's. It didn't click in my head so I decided not to proceed with it.

Maybe I should give a rather newer version a go some day. Maybe when W10 expires in 2025 and this antique laptop I'm on is still ticking. This antique doesn't have TPM so it will no longer get any newer versions.