cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freedom's New Plans

zxcvbnm
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Freedom Mobile came out with a few cheap prepaid plans. $9 for texting, $19 for talk and text, and $24 for talk, text and 1.5 gb of LTE.

Tempting. Though I doubt I'll switch, as I'm not sure how reliable their network is where I live.

I'm mostly bringing this up to voice my hope that Public will feel the need to compete. All three of these plans are better than the equivalent Public Mobile offerings, but I hope this won't be true for long.

7 REPLIES 7

@zxcvbnm wrote:

Freedom Mobile came out with a few cheap prepaid plans. $9 for texting, $19 for talk and text, and $24 for talk, text and 1.5 gb of LTE.

Tempting. Though I doubt I'll switch, as I'm not sure how reliable their network is where I live.

I'm mostly bringing this up to voice my hope that Public will feel the need to compete. All three of these plans are better than the equivalent Public Mobile offerings, but I hope this won't be true for long.

The problem with Freedom is no longer the Home zone restriction since these plans include roaming on the other Canadian networks. The problem is the coverage/signal quality/network within the Freedom covered areas.

I can see Public Mobile possibly matching that $24 (with Digital Discount) plan from Freedom by offering it at $25 which would get reduced to $23 with Autopay.  This is purely speculation of course, and I very much doubt that Public Mobile's version would include full speed LTE.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah they're pretty useless for me. Freedom roams with Rogers. Rogers isn't great where I am. And where I am would be Freedom roaming. Not suitable for me. No thanks.

Tiprix
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I think it really depends on where you live and where you travel for work, school, and on your free time.  As the coverage isn't the best in rural areas, it could be factor for some. In my case, my family member was roaming on the first floor of our residence.  While the plans could look enticing, if they can't provide the basic service to call and text, the price isn't really worth it in the end.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@zxcvbnm wrote:

The big 3 do not treat Freedom as serious competition.  The Public Mobile brand competes with the Chatr and Lucky brands.  TBH, I would rather pay $23 for talk, text, 1GB of data on a nation wide network than to pay $1 more to be on small swiss cheese network.  Also, it seems not so clear what the roaming charges are when not in the home network in Canada. 

apvm
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Not planning to switch and as a matter of fact will add a family member to PM once her Speakout balance is done.

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

It's apples and oranges at this point with the different coverage. In some of the main city centres, Freedom is no doubt an option, but if you move out of the "home" zones or whatever they're called, the coverage decreases significantly.

PM at least has the same coverage as Telus and Koodo (same networks) and the plans are quite competitive. To each their own, of course, but would definitely make sure you're comfortable with the coverage on Freedom before jumping ship.

apvm
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

You can check if they have any towers near you.

https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

Need Help? Let's chat.