cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freedom 40$ 40GB 5G Plan

Abheer
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Abheer_0-1700069632628.png

I just realized, Freedom has a 40$ 40GB plan which offers 5G, thoughts?

12 REPLIES 12

TheGx
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Man I hate how existing customers can't get in on this new boxing week deal☹️

TheGx

I just got the Public black Friday $34 20GB/5G unlimited/3G plan and that's the best anywhere so far for me at least...

kotian-a
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have another line with Freedom, and the speed is subpar as well as the coverage. They also say nationwide service, but when my coverage switches to one of the big 3, it limits me to data and I receive no incoming or outgoing calls. Wouldn't recommend switching to them unless they gave a Black Friday good discount on one of their phones in tandem with the plan.

ottawa

Yeah it was gone now back. I'd still take the 4G version as I've mentioned too often.

Abheer

Everyone, look at this

Abheer_0-1700087918583.png

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

I walked by a corporate Koodo kiosk in my local mall today and saw a $40/40gb offer.

ottawa

@Abheer wrote:

I just realized, Freedom has a 40$ 40GB plan which offers 5G, thoughts?

My first thought is that's why PM has a $40/40GB Canada plan for customers in QC. 😉

Freedom also has a $45/50GB Canada-US plan. Both Freedom plans have unlimited data after your allotment (PM's Canada-US doesn't say it does). But to my surprise, their "limited speed" is even worse than PM's!

PM: "Data speeds reduced to a maximum of 512Kbps after your included high-speed data bucket is exhausted. Speed may vary with your device, Internet traffic, environmental conditions, applicable network management policies and other factors."

Freedom: "but at a slower speed – of up to 256 kilobits per second (for downloads) and 128 kilobits per second (for uploads) on the Freedom Network, and up to 128 kilobits per second (for downloads) and 64 kilobits per second (for uploads) on partner networks in Nationwide, the U.S., and Mexico (as applicable)"

I don't want either, and would prefer a hard cap, but if I had to take one I'd take PM's. I'd probably never hit those usage limits, but if I screwed up and did, I think PM's is at least survivable (though if I'm relying on 5G on my phone, presumably it's for important things and not just trying to stream 4K YouTube videos 🙂 ).

ottawa

Freedom is now Videotron, right? A bit like Public Mobile is now Telus. Their coverage map looks like they roam on both Bell and Rogers, in addition to native coverage on Videotron and ex-Wind, the same way Fizz does. Which is potentially better than PM, if you go somewhere only served by Rogers. (As a test, I looked at a location in QC served only by Bell; I have friends with a chalet there, and I put them on PM specifically because all the Rogers-based MVNOs they tried had no coverage). On the Freedom location searcher, they're smack in the middle of a "nationwide" coverage area, no subscriptions offered. On Fido, it's "extended coverage".

Those 2 data points (too lazy to fire up the cell tower mapper) tell me only Bell has towers there, and I'm impressed that Fido now roams there, though I'm not sure Fido Prepaid does (interesting to note that Fido Prepaid is only available as an annual talk&text plan, and ChatR Prepaid as a monthly talk&text&250MB plan, to new customers).

I'll take PM, but I think the days of "Freedom/Wind has lousy coverage" are long gone. Though I agree, the handoff from Videotron network to Telus/Bell/Rogers network could be an issue (unknown by us).

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

Freedom has really upped their game, including giving access to their partner networks within Canada. The only thing I'm not sure is how the handoff works from their native network to their Canadian roaming partner networks. I.e. if you're on a call on the Freedom network, will it transition to the Telus network (for example) without dropping the call? I suspect no, and as someone who lives just outside of a Freedom coverage area this would be a deal breaker for me.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Abheer 

My friend recently joined Freedom on their non-Advertised deal 50gb for $39. The problem, he only uses 10gb/month.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Abheer , for an extra 10GB that most customers might not use anyway, you give up access to a proper network.  It is not worth it.  I have been a Wind customer twice, it ain't gonna happen again.  

mojorising

I'll take the savings at PM any day of the week.  I was with Wind/Freedom for a few years before coming here, so I'm not going back to the ex wife.

Need Help? Let's chat.