cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electric Bikes

ecowen
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Anyone out there have an Electric Bike?  We're thinking of getting a Rad Rover.  I'd love to get some opinions.

26 REPLIES 26

NA-Champion-89
New in Town / Nouveau en Ville

Has anyone here tried: Curv-EV.ca

They look pretty decent!

stevenanto

@darlicious wow that is a nice looking bike! great stuff

@will13am 

I had one good accident years ago in Toronto. I was riding down Jarvis st to RPM ( don't know what its called now?) I was in the curb lane between the parked cars and a long line of cars stopped for the light. I was coasting down the hill at a fair clip on my 10 speed with about 100 feet before the intersection when I see the turn yellow....perfect I'll have a green light before I get there. Just as the light turns and the traffic starts to move I see a car on my right coming out of the underground parking as I glance to my left I see the car in front of me in the next lane wave the car into traffic completely blocking my pathway forward.

I squeezed my brakes tight against the handle bars to little ....avail......I hit the car in front of the wheel base flew over my handlebars about 6 feet in the air and managed to perform a backwards somersault to avoid the pavement and come down to land on the hood of the car and see the driver and passenger of the car screaming at the acrobatics they had just witnessed. The bike was a write off but after the once over in the ambulance i came out with a couple of bruises and a scraped knee.

Needless to say I was not going to miss the Monday night Psychedelic Dance Party at RPM!! But since that accident I ride 95% defensive and 5% aggressive and I assume every vehicle is out to kill me.....it has served me well over the last 30 odd years.

@darlicious wrote:

@will13am 

Lol....you mean if I wipe out? The boots cover the most consistent injury I used to have....ankle and foot injuries ( I wince at people who ride with flip flops!) My last three "accidents" all occurred at 3km p/hr or less.......

1. Winter 2 years ago after a snowfall and deep freeze riding slow when a cop pulls up beside me forcing me to stop fully at the stop sign on pure ice. Touching the brakes made the bike topple. None worse for wear except for the cop sticking his head out the window of their SUV to comment "Maybe you should get a helmet!" and take off leaving me sprawled on the icy road.
  2. Fall about 12 years ago.... again very slow when I turned onto the sidewalk from the street on my block. That slight turn on wet slippery leaves I lost my edge and went over...a little wetter and muckier in my rain gear but uninjured.
  3. Summer about 16 years ago. I got on my bike and as I stood up on my pedals to pedal off I suddenly found myself on the ground. Part of my skort got caught on my seat post and when I went up it took me down.....brushed off my bruised ego and was on my way.

You live a boring life, lol.  My only incident was at speed.  I was riding on the curb lane and quite close to the curb out of respect for not blocking an entire lane.  A moron taxi driver decides to do a right turn in front of me.  How was I to know he was going to cut me off, do a hard brake and make the right turn.  The front wheel is no match for a rear bumper.  The idiot left the scene of course, like many ON drivers do.  I was out doing a short erand and so I was wearing denim and not cycling shorts.  Lucky me, not a single laceration.  The down tube buckled a little bit at the interface to with the head tube.  From that day on, I ride with wearing long pants.  It is very warm, not that comfortable but I feel safe.  Also, I do not yield the curb lane to cars anymore.  They go over one lane to pass.  

There is no bike helmet law for adults here.  I think the government prefers a tragedy over a hit on the healthcare system.  

@CFPartDeux 

I wouldnt expect anything less.....except if it was a motorcycle cop then I would have gotten a helmet ticket and told to walk my bike......

CFPartDeux
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@darlicious wrote:

My last three "accidents" all occurred at 3km p/hr or less.......

1. Winter 2 years ago after a snowfall and deep freeze riding slow when a cop pulls up beside me forcing me to stop fully at the stop sign on pure ice. Touching the brakes made the bike topple. None worse for wear except for the cop sticking his head out the window of their SUV to comment "Maybe you should get a helmet!" and take off leaving me sprawled on the icy road.

Very classy of that cop! 🙄  Vancouver cop, I expect?

@Anonymous 

I know right? I knew what was going to happen as soon as I touched the brakes but what choice did I have?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious wrote:

F'in' cops. mumble grumble grr stupid frickin' dang them

@will13am 

Lol....you mean if I wipe out? The boots cover the most consistent injury I used to have....ankle and foot injuries ( I wince at people who ride with flip flops!) My last three "accidents" all occurred at 3km p/hr or less.......

2. Fall about 12 years ago.... again very slow when I turned onto the sidewalk from the street on my block. That slight turn on wet slippery leaves I lost my edge and went over...a little wetter and muckier in my rain gear but uninjured.
  3. Summer about 16 years ago. I got on my bike and as I stood up on my pedals to pedal off I suddenly found myself on the ground. Part of my skort got caught on my seat post and when I went up it took me down.....brushed off my bruised ego and was on my way.

@darlicious wrote:

@will13am 

Geesh....I've already updated for this weeks specials and uploaded my first set of reciepts for 5×$5 visa gift cards I'm already up by 10 boxes and $10.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/The-Lounge/Register-for-autopay-w-o-credit/td-p/65703...

My bad, how dare I think that you were not all over this deal long ago.  BTW, you should be better dressed for riding.  I am not suggesting full leathers, but a little protection against road rash would be wise.  

@will13am 

Geesh....I've already updated for this weeks specials and uploaded my first set of reciepts for 5×$5 visa gift cards I'm already up by 10 boxes and $10.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/The-Lounge/Register-for-autopay-w-o-credit/td-p/65703...

@darlicious wrote:

@Anonymous 

Exactly...its one thing to be right altogether different to be dead right! Helmets may prevent injuries they don't prevent stupid.

If it is fatal, you can only get it once!  Don't get distracted by this discussion.  There are boxes of cereal to buy and gift cards to claim.  

https://kelloggsgrocerycash.ca/

@Anonymous 

Exactly...its one thing to be right altogether different to be dead right! Helmets may prevent injuries they don't prevent stupid.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious : Just stay off the sideWALK! Yeah all kinds of perils for cyclists (and pedestrians). It's on the cyclist to be more aware though. Obviously, all other users of the road need to be aware of everything around them but self-righteousness doesn't get you far when you're dead. Like pedestrians crossing a crosswalk. You're right, but you're dead.

@Anonymous 

Lol.....trust me I am seen when I'm on my bike. Usually people comment on my chapeau du jour but summer time does bring out some head turning skirts. Hey as long as people more importantly drivers see me then I have accomplished my goal.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious : lol knee-high boots and girly-girl lacy dress out riding. That must be a sight. 🙂

@ecowen 

I am a big fan of rad power bikes....I think the biggest consideration when it comes to them is your use of public transit as only one model may be transit friendly of course it also depends on whether or not your transit is bike friendly as well. And as I 've extolled to @stevenanto  it all depends on your needs and wants.......

20200721_024335.jpg

I'm pretty happy with my 48v velec A2 mv cl.2 basically means it has an independent throttle (important for me in case I break another leg pedalling uphill) and qualifies in bc at least to be pst exempt ( cl.3 as well but not cl.1 pedal assist only...go figure?!!) Anyhow my ebike has a range of 32 - 40km throttle only to 70 - 80km up to 120km in perfect conditions. Add a second battery and you can double that range. Pretty awesome for a battery that achieves an 80% charge in 90 minutes and full charge in about 150 minutes. It is a pretty heavy bike at about 48lbs that I cant put it on the bus rack on my own ( my rockhopper mtb at 10lbs lighter was about my max weight to manage that awkward lift, hold and secure manoeuvre.) It's nice that it comes with all the accessories : front and back lights, fenders, heavy duty bike rack, super comfy seat, digital display/odometer and a horn!

20200718_052420.jpg

I've put a little over 1200 km on it in the 8 months since my surgery so it is quite the joy to ride and you don't dread the hills anymore so theres nothing talking you out of going for a ride!

IMG_20210114_182722337.jpg

What sealed the deal was the price.....and some divine intervention as I wasn't really in the market for a new ebike as I had just purchased one 10 days before but I woke up one day with my tablet still in hand and email from Sport chek advertising $500 off the $1800 list price. Upon further investigation by ordering thru rakuten I could save another 2% plus recieve 4% in canadian tire money. I was still only half considering it when I applied their 10% off email coupon with success. One more click gave me 0% financing over 24 months thru my ct/mc and free shipping!  With only gst being charged it was easy to hit the submit payment button.

In the end the cost worked out to the following:

$1800 - $500=$1300 - $130 (10% off)=$1170+$58.50 (gst)=$1228.50 -$23.40 (rakuten)=$1205.10 - $46.80 (cdn tire money)=$1158.30  If you can get this e-bike anywhere close to this price I would snap it up!

20200717_153224.jpg

A great little workhorse....to date I have transported home a 1.3 cubic microwave, a hoover power scrub carpet cleaner, a 3.5 cubic fridge and just this last weekend an extra wide load.......

image000000.jpg

.....a 6'×9' rug with a little helping hand from my friend to secure the load and act as spotter!

@stevenanto 

Read some of the reviews....if i hadn't gotten such a great deal on my ebike they were #1 on my list for purchase. Given that you have a growing family, the ability to save money by not using your car for errands, that they are an all canadian made product and the price includes delivery....you would be hard pressed to find a better product for your needs. There are other options that replicate a pure biking experience but I don't think they will serve the needs of your family.  Don't be fooled that you won't get a workout....unless you only use the throttle. Not sure if you can test drive elsewhere in Canada but it can't hurt to inquire.

@CFPartDeux 

It was a day to see it...then another day to get over my lost in depth post.....then another day to load up @gpixel 's car full of cereal and noodle bowls to go to the foodbank. And I had to take advantage of my offers to start restocking and get my $25 worth of kelloggs visa gift cards. I'm down to my last one from the fall promotion. You know life getting in the way of pm.

stevenanto

@darlicious its just that these style of bikes dont look like a regular bike and not sure as to how comfortable they are.

Not sure which is best deal on e-bike. Am thinking that long term could get by, and save $, with just an e-bike, Lyfft, and public transport. There are conversion kits around now, if you already have a favourite bike.

Do love the train from Mississauga to Ottawa, and it's only about an hour longer. Soooo much more relaxing.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

CFPartDeux

@darlicious  Geez, what took you so long to chime in here!? 🙄 😉

@ecowen 

Yesterday I had a great write up for you then after a technical failure and an authentication failure I was left with about 25% of my original post.....so I walked away for awhile. Then I went for an e bike ride ......a 12km bike ride that turned into a 10 km bike ride because I wasn't paying attention the other night and didnt charge my bike so I ran out of juice a couple of km into a headwind and an uphill ride. At least it was easy ride home! Anyhow more to come from me to you on this subject....

@stevenanto 

The radpower cargo bike is for you....

https://radpowerbikes.ca/collections/electric-bikes/products/radwagon-electric-cargo-bike

stevenanto

Been thinking about getting one. Although I like to bike a lot even while towing my twins in trailer and older son on the attached seat. They do get to be heavy to pull on some of the places my wife and I bike. 

The electric bike would give me that little extra push up a long hill. Ive been eyeing the one at costco but dont think it will be able to handle all that weight. 

(my 4 year old = 40lbs, twins are 25lbs each) I also sometimes put my 4 year olds bike in the trailer when he get tires. Im 180lbs so yeah lots of weight. 

CFPartDeux

@Anonymous wrote:

@darlicious ? 🙂

Guess she hasn't seen this thread yet..... I'm sure she'll chime in once she spots this.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious ? 🙂

otter
New Neighbour / Nouveau Voisin

Seems like a nice setup for off-road or comfy short hauls, but I'd wager the range would be affected by the fat tires.  Fat tire bikes are also pretty noisy at speed when on pavement and the tires are pricey and less puncture resistant than narrower tires.

Need Help? Let's chat.