cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anybody Else Annoyed With Promos For New Activations Only?

sherr6
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

New Activation Only

These 3 words combined irk me. Lately it seems all bonus data offers are for new activations and nothing for existing customers. When changing rate plans, there is a box to apply a promotional code. But has anyone seen such a code yet? Koodo customers received a text not too long ago to add 3 GB of data for $10/month, or $15/month to add 10 GB of data!

Screenshot_20190706-090632~3.png

Even the Koodo Mobile Migration Offer seems to be completely over since the last one was in October of 2018. Now I do appreciate Public's current reward system, but no customer service to call into, no self-service app, no VoLTE, and Wi-Fi Calling is the trade-off (even Chatr & Lucky have a self-service app).

Therefore, I've decided to downgrade to the $25 500 MB + 500 MB 3G plan as its adequate enough for my use. With my rewards, it'll be $19/month before taxes. I'm averaging 2 GB/month but can discipline myself to stay within 1 GB. And I'm okay with switching off my 90 day/12 GB LTE plan too.

Public Mobile still gets my money but maybe if enough customers either downgrade or switch to another carrier besides Koodo/Telus, they'll start to refocus on providing further value to the existing customer base. And If you're a fan of RFD, you'll constantly find threads about Koodo offering tab deals and special rate plans to their existing customers. So I'm definitely not being irrational about this.

13 REPLIES 13

XSpursJ

very annoyed. once you joined PM, you don't deserve treat anymore

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

This is an example for the Golden Rule - Whoever has the gold make the rule.

The providers are saying that you did got your bonus when you activated your plan.  You will not get another bonus.

PM knows that the members, who have lots of rewards, will not port out and port back just to get another activation bonus. 

@sherr6, unless something changes drastically before my next renewal, I'll be paying $7 for my Fall 2016 Promo.  That's a $113 discount on my 90-day plan.

Sure, I'd like to see some LTE data promo and 90-day package love, but seriously, a $7 90-day plan after discounts is great for me.

@sherr6 wrote:

@srlawren 

To your first point, yes that would happen. But using Koodo again as an example, at least as an existing customer there's a potential to get 10 GB for $55. I tested out Lucky Mobile's service recently too; I randomly received a text giving me a $5 credit just to use for extras. And this was after 8 days!

Screenshot_2019-07-06-11-40-22.jpg

You're right about the rewards and the other carriers not offering the exact same thing. But some of the other carriers do have referrals too. Lucky Mobile's Refer-A-Friend, Rogers Refer Your Friends, and Koodo Refer-A-Friend are just some of the examples out there. For Public's current reward system, the best 2 are the Loyalty & Autopay reward in my opinion. 2 simple rewards for just being a customer, and adding a credit card to your account. The other ones such as Refer-A-Friend & Community are great too, but they do require some work.

@sherr6, I am sure it is universal that existing customers are annoyed by the aforementioned 3 words.  What are you gonna do when marketing likes those 3 annoying words?  I would say knowing what we know, we roll with the punches and go to where the deals are.  Customers are often part of the problem by applying misplaced loyalty and fear of change.  I bet if the churn rate went through the roof because of the desire to chase new activation, the carrier brands would rethink their strategy. 

BTW, that bonus you got was likely a welcome bonus.  Don't expect it to be a routine occurrence. 

sherr6

@srlawren 

To your first point, yes that would happen. But using Koodo again as an example, at least as an existing customer there's a potential to get 10 GB for $55. I tested out Lucky Mobile's service recently too; I randomly received a text giving me a $5 credit just to use for extras. And this was after 8 days!

Screenshot_2019-07-06-11-40-22.jpg

You're right about the rewards and the other carriers not offering the exact same thing. But some of the other carriers do have referrals too. Lucky Mobile's Refer-A-Friend, Rogers Refer Your Friends, and Koodo Refer-A-Friend are just some of the examples out there. For Public's current reward system, the best 2 are the Loyalty & Autopay reward in my opinion. 2 simple rewards for just being a customer, and adding a credit card to your account. The other ones such as Refer-A-Friend & Community are great too, but they do require some work.

mimmo

@sherr6 I understand what you are saying now.  last month they gave double the community rewards, even if by accident.

And they just introduced the 5$ Canada wide 500min addon. Which is great for people on limited talk plans or provincial plans.

Just saying pm does offer lots that others  don't as mentioned in previous posts. 

PM has loyaly rewards for existing customers.  $1 off every 30 days that you are with PM up to a mazimum of $5.  Sure most promos are for new customers that is like all providers but PM does offer things that others don't .  If I ever find another provider that can provide me with a plan that I want or need and it is at a better cost to me than what I have a PM I will go.  But to be honest I don't see that ever happening.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

sherr6

@mimmo 

I'm not saying give the 'exact' same promotion as a new activation. Even I think something such as a free SIM card or $10 off for 6 months is perfectly fine only for a new customer. That's part of CoA (Cost of Acquisition

I'm just saying it wouldn't hurt to offer a specific type of promo for just existing customers. Special rate plans maybe? How about just the current plans but instead of throttled 3G, they would extend LTE to them? 

sherr6

@geopublic 

Yes great idea. 

You just reminded me about Koodo's Boosters getting double the amount from time-to-time. So Public Mobile implementing something similar is definitely feasible. 

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@sherr6 no not really but I'm starting to Smiley LOL

srlawren

@sherr6 they all do this, so switching to another carrier could potentially get you a better deal, but then you'd be stuck again as an existing subscriber.  

You made a great step by adjusting your usage and then picking a plan to fit, saving yourself some money in the process.  It sounds like you did this under protest, but despite doing it for the wrong reasons (see my point above), being faithful to your wallet is always a good move.  

PS:  think about it this way:  if your $25 plan is costing you $19, then you actaully already have an ongoing $6 / 30 days promo.  Do you see other carriers offering these rewards? No.  So if this plan meets your needs and can be had for $19 + tax, then, I'm not sure what's left to be unhappy about?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

mimmo

It's a very common practice in the industry to offer incentives for new activations. If they offered them to all customers then they would lose significant revenue. 

That being said pm has offered existing customers to change better plans. Ie bonus data etc. 

Often if you want the bonus gift cards from stores when getting a phone you have to activate a new line, does not work for upgrades. PM does not offer phones so they offer a discount on plans. 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

A limited time promo for the 1GB data add-on at 50% off for existing customers would be welcomed!🙂👍

Need Help? Let's chat.