cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G data speeds now here - 3G should be dropped.

BEER
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Now that Bell is offering 5G data speeds will PM drop the snail speed 3G and replace it with 4G?

8 REPLIES 8

Public Mobile (and Telus, Bell, etc) didn't implement their "3G" (3Mbps throttled 4G) until 4G had already been firmly entrenched for years, LTE had already reached "99.8%" coverage across Canada, and LTE-A was already expanding beyond core urban regions.

Public Mobile (and Telus, Bell, etc) might retain 3G indefinitely for maximum compatibility with legacy devices and non-smartphone devices. Or they might drop 3G entirely, defaulting to 4G/LTE baseline ... but if they do, it won't be until 5G has already been installed everywhere in Canada, years down the line.

5G is brand spanking new. Not even fully unwrapped yet, already plugged in before fully unboxed. It'll take a long, long time to trickle down to third-tier "value" providers. And it's basically useless on PM anyhow, at full speeds it would eat all your GBs of data within minutes, leaving you hurting for data all month even faster than ever before.

yanzhiqiang
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

The 5G is not yet built yet, better enjoy the low price of Public Mobile for another 3 to 5 years.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Arguably this service is 4G/LTE.  It is just heavily throttled.  I see much of the same old, same old for a long time to come.  

BEER
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Shutdown wrote:

I read that bell charges $10/month I think it was for 5G. I doubt many people will take that though.

Can't find the $10/month  - are you sure - details please.

Shutdown
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I read that bell charges $10/month I think it was for 5G. I doubt many people will take that though.

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@BEER Not in the closest future, because it will definitely increase plan prices. Operating via 3G allows PM have very affordable plans for people.

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@BEER that would be great but it would probably come with plan rate increases

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

I doubt it.  5G is available only in a few major cities like Toronto, Vancouver, and Monteal.

Need Help? Let's chat.