cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Re: Fraud or cloned SIM?

@pavellyzhin Glad it worked out in the end. It's unfortunate it took a while to get going.
Kudos to the third mod on getting the job done. Would you happen to know his/her name and can share with us?

Highlighted
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

just happened to me, they tried to make over $16000.00 in purchases on paypal! holy hell!

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Based on what you are saying I'm assuming your phone has onky emergency service. 

@Limix Log into your self service account. Use the change sim option and check to see if the last 4 digits  matxh the one in your phone.

20200723_093448.jpg

If they don't you were SIM jacked.Change your password, security quuestion and answer and place your phone on lost/ stolen.

20200504_182846.jpg

And contactt he moderators and ask them to switch your sim back for you. There are 2 ways to contact the Moderator Team:

• Faster response- Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to the Moderator Team. Click here to get started.
  • Slower- Alternatively, you can send a private message to the Moderators by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

Once connected to Simon, you will be asked to log in again with your community user name and password.  Please do, this allows you to continue and send your message.
- Check your private message sent box (click on the envelope top right of your screen) to make sure the message was sent.

- Keep an eye on the envelope top right of your screen.  The mods answer will show up there.  When it does, you will be asked to verify your self service account, with your password and login. Doing so allows the process to continue. Stay safe. 

Highlighted

thanks for the detailed response. I have already done those steps. + I had to change my security on multiple other sites as well.. it's been a really long night!!! ah well i guess it's morning now isn't it ! lol

Highlighted

I faced similar situation today. When I got up in the morning, I saw an email that my Paypal password has been changed and 2-Step verification is disabled. To access my Paypal account one needs to have access to my PM number to get security code. But my PM number was disabled. After resetting Paypal password, I saw that there was a transaction for $364 on NewEgg.ca where someone ordered an Apple Airpod, also an email confirmation on my inbox about the order. Immediately I contacted newegg and cancelled the order. Tried contacting Paypal multiple times to report this fraud, but no help. Paypal was very busy.

Reported the issue to PM moderator and after couple of hours got a reply to restart the phone. 

Now everything seems to be normal. I have access to my Paypal account with updated password. PM Selfserv account with updated password and access to PM number.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@glany222  Yup, a lot of sim swapping happening around here lately, not good. Glad you got it resolved. 

Make sure your email is secured.

Highlighted
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@glany222 Glad everything turned out reasonably well for you. I keep preaching this in hopes people will start listening, don't ever use your phone number as a method for 2FA/MFA using SMS. Use an authenticator app or email with strong password. These are phone specific and NOT phone NUMBER specific. So even if someone takes your number it is useless in terms of accessing anything else with 2FA/MFA.