cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

While I appreciate Public Mobile's efforts to refresh the community with a new look and reorganisation of the forums, there is one important feature that is now missing from the new design that was previously available: the page containing the latest topics.  

I know there is now a link to go to the latest posts, but there needs to also be a link to latest topics.  There is an important distinction between these two. Going to latest posts takes us to a list where every latest post is listed. That means that when a single active topic has just had a lot of posts, those all appear at the top of the list, possibly crowding out the previous topics from appearing on the first page. One or two active topics can easily monopolize the entries on the first page. Depending on the timing of when a new topic is posted, it could easily get pushed down quickly by posts to older, active topics even before members have a chance to see it. If we only have the latest posts page to work with, this can make it cumbersome to sift through in looking for other topics that have maybe not had as much attention. It might even cause us to miss a topic entirely. In the previous design, it was much easier to look through a page where all the latest topics appear by chronological order of original post, with the newest topics at the top, and each topic only occupying one entry in the list.

Additionally, the previous forum design gave us the ability to see how many replies have been made to each topic. Please bring this feature back. This was useful to know because the topics that have had few or no replies are where most members would naturally like to direct their attention first, to at least see if they can contribute.

8 Comments
David_J
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hi @SD08 - thanks for the feedback. The Community changed to the responsive design last night and we are working right now to make sure evrything is as expected. We can certainly change 'Latest Topics' vs. 'Latest Posts' if that's what the Community wants to see and we'll look at the # of replies feature being added back in.

SD08

Thanks for the quick reply, David.  If I had to choose between latest posts vs latest topics, of course I would go with topics, but would it be too difficult to have both?  Perhaps the Featured Topics could be modified to Latest Topics, with a couple of topics stickied to the top as the 'Featured' ones.  Just another idea if you're facing some design limitations.

Status changed to: Idea completed
David_J
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

We've removed the 'Latest posts' and replace with 'Latest topics' which display the most recent threads commented on.

SD08

That's wonderful!  Wow, two days...I'm pleasantly stunned at how quickly this idea was implemented.  Cat Surprised

David_J, thanks so much to you and the PM team for your attention to this.  🙂

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@David_J "... replace with 'Latest topics' which display the most recent threads commented on."

Latest Topics only shows Latest threads created (new to old from all sections). It doesn't show most recent threads commented on. 

For example, go to any section, you will see even old threads (disacrd pinned topics) at the top because it sorts with Latest Replies. When we had Latest Posts section, it even listed replies from the same topic but not the way how sub section displays.

SD08

Maybe they could have both pages available from the home page, Latest Topics and Latest Posts.  If it's a question of not having enough space on the home page for both sections, they could simply provide links to the pages instead of listing the latest five posts.

David_J
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

@NDesai @SD08 @Jeremy_M

Hello - so guessing this comes down to a couple of things; do we want to display the latest comments which can overwhelm a entire section of the homepage if people are posting, or if we want to display the latest threads, which displays a the latest threads without any duplication.

We're using out of the box components from Lithium in our Community as we want to avoid building a custom component.

Does it come down to whether you are searching for an answer, or trying to answer another user on the Community?

SD08

For me, it's about trying to answer users on the community.  I find having a Latest Topics page makes that easier.

For searching for an answer, there is always the search box available.  I don't think having a Latest Posts page helps much with that.  By default, the member who posted the original question or issue would receive an e-mail whenever someone replied anyway.  If they wanted to go back to read the whole thread, they can click the link in their e-mail.  No need to search there.

Need Help? Let's chat.