cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jmccurdy7
New Neighbour / Nouveau Voisin

Hello Public Mobile!

I am moving provinces permanently, have a province wide calling plan, and need to change my phone number. I have very little knowledge in telecommunications, but is it not possible to set a users home province or town, as it applies to long distance calling, via an account rather than a phone number? I can get over having to remember another number, but what about people who then try to contact me via my previous number? What if there is the possibility for a message, or call forwarding system to the new number? This idea may be ludacris, yet I hope in the future: numbers can be assigned to solely to an account an be independant of geographical location. 

2 Comments
Status changed to: Not for us
Jeremy_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

@jmccurdy7

Q: is it not possible to set a users home province or town, as it applies to long distance calling, via an account rather than a phone number? 

Unfortunately, this is not possible as numbers are associated with the province you're in and not with your account.

Solution:

1. You can keep your existing number and add a Canada-wide plan so friends and family can still reach out to you, but they may incur LD charges.
  2. Get a dual SIM phone with two separate accounts and #'s (might be far fetched)
  3. Add an LD add-on to your current plan and forward your calls to your new number until all your contacts have your new number stored.

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

Unless your family and friends have a plan to call globally for free, then that's great. Another alternative if they don't have a long-distance plan is to download apps such as WhatsApp or WeChat. You can use your data plan or Wi-Fi, and the calls are free too! No long-distance charges to either party. 

Need Help? Let's chat.